Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
July 20, 2017, 06:36:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Forum Selling Rule / Policy

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Selling Rule / Policy  (Read 2477 times)
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2014, 12:19:32 pm »

You should be able to buy from the very first post.  The rule was to discourage people who wanted to join only for selling.  If you are denied access to the shop and swap area until 50 posts, then that indirectly limits you from buying and swapping from the members that are posting there in addition to being blocked from selling, which is what the rule is set up for.  Theoretically, you could do these things from anywhere, but if you are caught, just remember the saying, don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.  In this case the time will be the short time you are a member before your membership is revoked.

I'll look into this and get back to y'all.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2014, 12:23:40 pm »

Yeah you can buy under 50 posts, no one is stopping you from buying.
Report Spam   Logged

fwfranklen
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2014, 11:36:00 am »

So we can not purchase or see the "shop and swap". I do understand the reasoning behind this for someone trying to sell bad items or scam members. However if we wanted to purchase items shouldn't we be able to do so. Would that be helpful to the members that are selling? I very seldom sell but do a lot of purchasing.

Mike
Report Spam   Logged
dickb

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2014, 11:48:47 am »

It is a problem with the swap and sell board. You can't allow it to be viewed without being able to sell.

But some of the members post cabs through out the forum and plan to offer them for sale. Some members have links to their websites that you can go to and buy there. Otherwise you can PM any of the members and ask if they are willing to sell a stone or piece of jewelry that they have posted. Once you get the 50 posts this will no longer be a problem for you.

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
GPAA, PLP - Blackhawk G&MC, CVR&MS
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

willallen
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2015, 07:02:16 am »

Is there a time limit on the 50 posts?
Report Spam   Logged
dickb

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2015, 12:38:29 pm »

No, but if you start to pack the forum just to get to 50 posts, you may be talked to! Others have tried that, with bad results. The idea behind the rule is to let the forum get to know you and become part of the family.

Dickb
Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2015, 04:22:44 pm »

Getting a feel as to who you are dealing with  the age of Internet scams is a very good idea. Every time that I have advertised equipment for sale on Rockhounds.com I have had scammers come after me with offers to send the bank check by next day air and arrange for their carrier to pick it up. The last time that I advertised an 18" saw, I just asked the guy what he planned to cut with it and got the answer, " rocks" as it is advertised as a rock saw. I then asked what types of rocks and got no answer.
Report Spam   Logged

johnjsgems

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2015, 10:15:41 am »

Jack, I used to get those same messages all the time.  I think they stopped when I changed web hosts.  The most common thing I would get would be a querry like "how much do your rock blades cost?  After wasting time messaging back and forth to find out what blades it would become obvious they were scammers.  The other variation would be a request for a quote for really big ticket items (like 3 Titans) or an order for 100 24" blades.  They appeal to greed and it takes a while to figure them out.  In the case of the 100 blades I used to tell them to contact MK directly. 
Report Spam   Logged
kennyg

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2015, 05:43:31 pm »

I bet MK just loved you lol.
Report Spam   Logged
Ruelens
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2015, 08:43:50 am »

I understand this policy if one wants to sell, but what about those of us who want to buy....does this policy go both ways?  Yes I am a newbie so sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere but with my ADD I must ask while I remember the question....grinning.  Anyway here is my introduction...short and sweet, just like I like it.
I became a full time RV'er, with my husband since 2003. I sold my business and my husband quit his job, we sold our home and left the very next day.  We have not lived the traditional lifestyle, and we are so much richer for it.  My first experience was in Quartzite AZ at their rock gem and mineral club 2005.  That is when the bug bit me bad! But then we moved onto a boat and did not have the space to continue lapidary and my metal smithing art.  In 2012 we became land lubbers again, and moved back into another motor home. Last year we made the plunge into a 55+ community and now have a home base just outside of Temecula, CA and for the first time in a dozen years I have a SHE SHED....grinning.  Our rig actually sighed when I moved my collection into the shed. In the 55+ community we moved into they have an art center, and I am leading the pack in getting a lapidary and metal smith shop incorporated into the center.  We spend our summers in the North West volunteering, currently located in Honeyman State Park three miles south of Florence Oregon where we are interpretive hosts for the summer.  I have not been successful in finding local clubs where I park our wheels, and I need to learn a lot more than what I know now before I take on starting a club within my community back in Temecula, CA.
Diana Ruelens
Report Spam   Logged
dickb

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2015, 09:29:06 am »

Welcome to the forum. You cannot see  the sell thread until you reach 50 posts. It's to keep spammers off the forum. You can buy from anyone that has an ad or website listed in their signature.  If you are interested in a particular mineral. just post a query and see who replies. 50 posts come quickly and it gives folks a chance to meet you and learn your abilities and interests. Oh and one more thing, pictures are always welcome.

Dickb

Report Spam   Logged

Elegance in Jewelry
69 Retired and Free
Eastern Iowa, Clover SC

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2015, 04:04:07 am »

Logging in to this forum each day and reading the posts, you should find enough of interest to chime in 3 or 4 times and within a couple of weeks you are golden. 

As others have stated, we have had people in the past who came in and made 50 nonsensical posts in 1 or 2 days.  They mostly are gone in another couple of days.  No one will get rich here selling to members, this is not a gold mine for dealers or scammers.  Most members probably have more than enough rock to last them a couple of hundred years and are more likely sellers than buyers.  So when scammers have tried to move in here, they may make a few quick sales, but that's probably about it.  When they see little to no interest, then they fade away. 

If anyone is looking for anything in particular, they should just post that they are looking for so and so stone or a variety of stone and some members will probably respond back with stone for sale or often even in trade.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2015, 09:56:28 am »

I'm bumping this as there have been a few members recently who may not have seen it.
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2015, 06:21:21 pm »

Someone sent me an email letting me know that they were able to see the classifieds prior to reaching the 50.

Maybe someone with less than 50 posts can confirm they see this http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/board,6.0.html
Report Spam   Logged
ileney

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2015, 09:14:29 am »

Wow! I never even noticed the swap and shop hidden in the general listings list and had no idea that was here. I kept clicking on " classifieds" and " classified/ auction" at the top of the page where the gray categories are listed, thinking it was one of those - and just seeing the same two listings by sellers snakeadelic and I think edwardscale and thinking those were the only listings on here. If you had not just posted that link I might NEVER have seen that swap and shop section. Maybe it should be its own gray section heading in the top area instead of those two classifieds that have been there since I joined?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: