Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
October 20, 2017, 01:44:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Forum Selling Rule / Policy

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Selling Rule / Policy  (Read 2524 times)
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am »

Excluding existing members current selling activities..

New members are required to have 50 posts under your belts before selling within the shop and swap section of the forum.

I have made one serious error in judgement recently. As a result, myself and am sure most all existing members would agree how important it is for new members to participate regurlarly within the forum for a period of time before being allowed to offer items up for sale.

The truth is, that once you partipate regurlarly, we will all get to know you just by the nature of your interaction within the forum.  You will find that just by participating regurlarly, we will all become well aware if you provide rough, slabs or other lapidary related items as a result of that interaction..

The exception is if another member "contacts you". "Asks and initiates" a purchase from you prior to your 50 posts.. 

Glad your here, and looking forward to getting to know you !

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 12:37:03 pm »

George, I totally agree with this new rule, but maybe it should be 1000 posts, no only kidding.  I think for the most part, we can all tell when someone is here to just sell and it is irritating to the members who are here to share and learn and make friends.  This will be a good rule and hopefully it will keep the riffraff away.  I personally enjoy buying from forum members and hope to get off my sore butt and start some more selling myself.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

skystone
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 04:43:41 pm »

Here here George!!!!!!!!! yes
I don't think the rule is at all unreasonable. A person should interact & let us get to know them first. It's pretty clear after a short time. To those of us that are "into" the hobby/bussiness. Who is & who isn't. Don't beat your self up over this George. These things happen & I think we all like to give the other guy/gall the bennafit of the doubt. When they are new & a plausable story. Just glad they were found out. Hope the victim gets a good quantity of his/her property returned & the "perp" gets a goodly jail time.
Mike
Report Spam   Logged
Michael
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:17:07 pm »

How do I find the auction section? I have things to sell and am to retarted to find it.
thanks in advance as I may not find my way back here.  ROLF
mike
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:48:53 pm »

How do I find the auction section?

Here ya go Michael..

http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php?action=classifieds;cat=2
Report Spam   Logged
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:37:45 pm »

It all sounds good to me George!   yes
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 07:18:11 am »

Spot on George. 

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
socalagatehound

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 08:25:33 am »

Good rule and well stated, George.  I remember when Dougy first showed up, there were some testy posts.  Funny how first impressions work out.  Even though it's only online, I think we all do get a feel for each other and have a comfort zone here.  If someone does not want to be a part of that prior to selling, there are other opportunities to sell online elsewhere.  Bravo!

Report Spam   Logged

dellamoon
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 10:24:51 pm »

Hi I am new and just trying to grasp how the forum works.  I am a beginner lapidary artists my start and passion is in jewellery!  Thank you for the start up info!
Report Spam   Logged
CaptnKidd
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 07:02:50 am »

This is my very first post and Im sure not my last.  I just wanted to let you know, I have no issue with this rule and fully understand it.  I look forward to acquiring knowledge and even giving some, what little I have that is.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 07:34:04 am »

Welcome CaptnKidd.  You should go over to the Introductions thread and introduce yourself.  Go to the thread at:

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum > Forum > The Gathering > Introductions

Tell us a little about yourself and please post pictures of what you do and anything else pertinent.  We talk about all things lapidary, stone, jewelry, and life in general.  Any questions, please just ask.  This is an incredible group of generous and caring people who will quickly become your friends.  This forum is full of people with wide ranging experience and expertise from so many different domains. Someone here will usually know what someone is talking about no matter how far out it is. Several resident aliens on board to explain the workings and politics of the universe out there and probably more than a few ghosts haunting the boards after hours.  A few whackos like me too.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

denny
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 07:52:06 am »

I, too, would be a little suspicious if someone just popped up and wanted to sell some items after not participating on the forum for awhile.  However, there are some of us - me certainly - who, while we enjoy and read the forum on a daily basis - may not have that much to contribute on a regular basis.  For example, I'm a regular contributor on two other forums and I think I'm trusted there (I don't sell on either at this point although I may in the future).  If I made jewelry or some other sellable item that pertained to gemstones/lapidary, I'd hate to think that I couldn't here simply because I don't have the requisite number of posts.  Like anywhere else, it should be caveat emptor prior to buying anything, anywhere.  If you do your due diligence you should be rarely disappointed.  An artificial number, any number, is just that - artificial.  There may be some who would enter the requisite number of jibber jabber posts just to meet that requirement but that doesn't make them any more trustworthy.

I know that this is a forum that is small and is closely knit and I like it for that.  However, excluding those who wish to contribute in other ways may not be the way to go.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 08:04:05 am »

The rules came about because there were a "small" number of people who joined for just the purpose of selling to the group.  Even when they posted, it was as you said, just "jibber jabber posts just to meet that requirement ". 

One person continually stated it was his recently deceased grandfathers stone that he was selling and he acted insulted that he was questioned, though he never posted any proof to statements he made and was evasive.  He did some jibber jabber posts, but never really seriously posted.  I think he was the one that ended up stealing a semi truck worth of stone from one of our members and then had the nerve to come on here and try to sell it.  So its a bit of a sensitive issue to many of our members.

I can see your point and maybe there is some leeway that can be given, though once you go down that road, what you do for one member, you have to do for all members, or its discrimination and nobody wants that.  The thing that works the best, is to just participate, even if minimally, until you get your numbers up, and then no one will fault you.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

itsandbits1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 08:52:42 am »

50 posts is a small number to come up with; especially if you are active on other forums and do business or even hobby in the rock/lapidary/jewelry feilds. By showing some of what you do and some handiwork starting from scratch, people can get an idea of the work you do and your areas of interest. Even replying to your introduction hellos racks up the posts so I think anyone that bristles at 50 posts perhaps is in a hurry to get somewhere. Some of our members might post that number in 2-3 days :<)))
Report Spam   Logged

The wheels of life go round and round, round and round, round and round, and then they hit a rock

denny
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 10:23:37 am »

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying.  However, it tends to give the appearance of an eliteist group where the circle never stops.  Personally, I have no problem with that.  If people don't like the policy then they can just go elsewhere.  It's just that, for me thus far, I don't have the personal confidence while in this forum that I have with others and I had to "work" to gain that with them.  I'm still very new to this hobby and am still in the learning process.  It's a long curve and I'm at the bottom.  I've felt that the members of this forum are at a FAR advanced level above me and thus I have little to contribute.  I hope that changes as I learn more.

This is my 48th post.  Only two more and I'll begin selling like crazy  yippie- NOT.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: