Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 25, 2017, 04:41:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Turquoise Talk

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turquoise Talk  (Read 3271 times)
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2012, 10:43:35 am »

Oh my Goodness Cal:)
That was a wonderful site and I drooled all over myself too:)
Thank you:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
jackd
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2012, 07:57:22 am »

Thanks, cre84u now I am really interested !!
Report Spam   Logged
PhilNM

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2012, 06:55:17 pm »

I have a huge chunk of Tyrone NM turquoise I was going to carve, but can't. So, time to sell it. It weighs 5.45 ounces or 155 grams.
It's already polished, both sides. 2 pics attached....  
Phil

* 155g545o-1.JPG (41.13 KB, 1152x864 - viewed 23 times.)

* 155g545o-2.JPG (43.4 KB, 1152x864 - viewed 27 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

skystone
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2012, 08:40:29 pm »

Hey all!!!!!!!!!!
 Just got back last night from my 2 week road trip. Went to Colbaugh in Kingman to pick up some Turq. Bought about 3lbs. of their $150 a lb. stone (stabelized) I think I'll get some very interesting pieces from these. I'll post more in a few days after I slab some of it. Enjoy:
I added a tennis ball in some of the pixs for size comparison.
Mike

Oh yeah I bought some coral in Gallup too:

Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2012, 09:33:43 pm »

Love it!!!! Cant wait to see what you will come up with:)
Glad you are home safe and sound:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
christopherl1234

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2012, 01:41:11 pm »

My oh my Mike........I can hardly wait to see what you create with all this new rough. Your pieces are always TOP-NOTCH!!
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2012, 11:20:55 am »

I had the great opportunity to re-string this natural turquoise necklace that has been passed down to the current 4th generation Navajo family owner. 

The original cotton thread was fraying and she wanted it re-strung before it broke and the bead scattered all over.   No additional polishing was done in order to keep the patina on the odd number of original hand-made sterling beads and the body oils absorbed by the stone.

This was a wonderful experience to be able to check out each of the beads as it was completed. Some of the beads are chipped, out of round and coarsely rounded.......simply authentic and beautiful.................. yippie

Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

skystone
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2012, 12:04:50 pm »

Was that twist/screw barrel clasp on it? Those have not been around that long. I really don't think that string of beads is that old. I have several I picked up at IJS last year that are made in China (US Turquoise). Look just like that. Some of the beads are quite out of round & not very well ground/polished. The silver beads look to be machine made as well. Hand made ones usually have a larger rim where they are soldered together. All in all I'd be rather sceptical of the 4th generation story myself (as in if they were trying to sell them to me as such). Would be a fine necklace in itself without the story. I have a button I used to wear to gun shows & collectors shows "How much is it without the story?" LOL
I'll post a couple of pix. of the strings I have
Mike
Report Spam   Logged
Steve

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2012, 12:56:16 pm »

Hey Mike.........The customer (and friend) said it was given to her by her Grandmother (still living) whose mother (deceased) gave it to her, all full blooded Navajo and still living on the Rez in Az - except the customer, she's attending UNM right now.  

Yes, it has brass screw barrel that was on it already (I hate those).  It probably had been re-strung before.  I suspect that's where the 6th silver bead was lost.  And, the silver beads are old and the halves are soldered together.  I can see the solder.  They are only about 4mm wide and when I measured them with my slide mic they were not uniform in width.  I've got a variety of old hand made Navajo silver beads and they sure look like the same method.

And besides, why would a friend fabricate the story.  We've talked about the beads long before I asked her if she wanted it re-strung.  Anyway it was a treat for me to be able to re-string it.
Report Spam   Logged

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

skystone
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2012, 01:25:24 pm »

I'm probably just sceptical. It really doesn't make any difference anyway if they weren't trying to sell them LOL. In this case sentimental value is much more than the monetary.
Mike
Report Spam   Logged
skystone
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2012, 02:43:39 pm »

Some really psycadelic slabs I cut yesterday (they are from the chunk second from the bottom above 90 deg. from the face shown) Fair sized pieces too, just got to figgure what to do with them to show off the wild patterns & colors. The last couple are from another chunk & are really swirly with mostly black matrix. Some voids but shouldn't be too much of a problem. This is why I love slabing. Every one is different as it comes off the saw. Sometimes it's a wowser & sometimes it's a clunker. But like a box of chocalates "ya never know what you're gonna git" LOL
Hope you like them (in person they're really wild in the sun.)
Thanks for looking
Mike
(a Turquoise addict LOL)

Report Spam   Logged
Steve

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2012, 05:35:51 pm »

I see two outrageous butterflies from the 1st two photos..................the remaining Turq is sweet..................love the 'silver' flecks...........
Report Spam   Logged

christopherl1234

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2012, 11:21:26 pm »

Nice looking material Mike yes
Report Spam   Logged

donirish
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2014, 02:40:39 pm »

And then you have "Block".  Chalk or very low grade turquoise, that is ground, mixed with a resin, dye is often added and compressed into blocks.  This is how the infamous Mojave  hairy1 'turquoise' is made.....   
Anyone have idea on how much that Block of turquoise cost?
Report Spam   Logged
legendarygranite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2014, 04:37:16 pm »

Can't wait to get my hands on some this stuff.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: