Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
June 26, 2017, 11:23:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Turquoise Talk

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turquoise Talk  (Read 3282 times)
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2011, 05:09:21 am »

As per Michael's request !

A spot shre about turquoise..

I have no way to merge all the good archived Turquoise topics to this without everything being all mixed up, and looking like it makes no sense.

You can view archived Turquoise posts/topics though....

Michael Hoover ( different Michael ) also has a few "Testing To Destruction Stabilization" topics...

Ok.. Lets see some Turquoise   dancer5
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 06:30:54 am »

Here is one I got this summer. Paid $10.00 for it, its about 3" X 4". The guy told me it was Robin's egg blue. I dont know if it is synthetic or not. It looks and smells and tastes  like a real rock... you tell me....

Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:15:45 am »

Yup! Sure tastes right!!
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

tetonartgallery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:57:49 am »

Stabilizing leaves a rind that is quite obvious in person, especially when it is stabilized by colbaughs - and this one looks like that on the uncut end. That photo is not too good, but on the rind side it sure looks like stabilized material.  IMHO

PS
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks for looking - Gerard
Click here to see My Web Site
skystone
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 01:27:14 pm »

I'd agree that looks to be stabelized. The outside will show a certain amout of left over clear plastic. Looks a little like chrystals on the outside. Looks like a piece of Kingman. Here's a pic. of some rough I bought in Sept. at Colbaugh. If you look closely you can see the stabelizing on some others not so apparent in the pic.

If you only payed $10 for it you got a deal. That material from Colbaugh is about $70 per. pound.
Mike
Report Spam   Logged
cre84u
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 06:07:23 pm »

I am glad we now have a thread for Turquoise. I never really bothered much with it, but have in the last 6 weeks have got quite interested.
I have ordered a sampling of Nevada's turquoise including Damele, Drycreek, Austin Blue, Dryer Blue and some of the black webbed variscite nuggets. I have never backed turquoise with liquid steel and that is next on my learning list. Have started to cut nuggets after practising with a bunch of stabilized stuff. I know I will need help along the way so glad the thread is here.
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 06:35:50 pm »

Hey Cal:)
This is old brooch I have had 30 years, yep I am the mother of the dinosaurs. I bought it at a rock show in Atlanta for about $1.00 and then I glue a pin on back. I wear it on my dress suits.
Eric talked about using JB Weld on back of turquoise and I think this one had it too. Prolly boring as hell to most people and not high quality but I thought you might like to see it.

Report Spam   Logged

spirit bear beads
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 07:09:37 pm »

In some instances, you can actually "SMELL" the resin in stabilized turquoise.  Esp if it was recently done.  Stabilized turquoise just has a 'darker, harder look and feel to it' than most 'natural' turquoise.  But not all!  True GEM quality  natural turquoise is very hard and stable.  Here are some examples, fresh from Colbaughs.

* Kingman turquoise 001a.JPG (236.42 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 39 times.)

* Kingman turquoise 002b.JPG (225.61 KB, 1146x622 - viewed 35 times.)

* Kingman turquoise 003b.JPG (268.16 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 33 times.)

* Kingman turquoise 005b.JPG (220.52 KB, 1101x733 - viewed 33 times.)

* Kingman turquoise 006b.JPG (273.5 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 35 times.)

* Kingman turquoise 009b.JPG (191.57 KB, 1132x601 - viewed 36 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
spirit bear beads
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 07:13:14 pm »

And then you have "Block".  Chalk or very low grade turquoise, that is ground, mixed with a resin, dye is often added and compressed into blocks.  This is how the infamous Mojave  hairy1 'turquoise' is made.....   

* Kingman turquoise 011.JPG (260.68 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 41 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Steve

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 09:24:32 pm »

Just a penny or two................

I've found that most of the natural turquoise that I've dealt with would sound like Rice Crispies when just dipped in water and then held to one's ear............
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 12:04:03 am »

You can also touch your tongue to it and if your tongue sticks to it slightly it will indicate that it has not been treated. What happens is that the untreated Turquoise absorbes the moisture from your tongue and causes it to stick to the surface. Treated turquoise won't absorb any moisture. You can also put a drop of water on the surface and see if it soaks in or beads up.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 02:58:18 am »

Nice Turquoise Miaita. Queen of Turquoise:)
Report Spam   Logged

Michael
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 05:12:44 am »

Kingman.   Most of my Turquoise is stablized , but not all. will add some natural later this month.

img

Uploaded with ImageShack.us /img
Report Spam   Logged
skystone
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 11:03:09 am »

I call Kingman the chamelian of Turquoise. It is so varried in color & matrix. It can be misstaken for other mines as well. I was talking to my friend Andrwe at the Autry on Sat. He's an expert on turquoise identification. He used to teach it at Long Beach College. I showed him a cab I had of Kingman. That I thought looked just like Bisbee. He agreed that if it was in a jewelry piece as such it would be very hard to say it wasn't. It can range fom clear very light blue to green. With all different matrix mixed it. When I was first starting out I used to buy Turquoise Mountain from No. Nev. from Larry Cooley. A beautifull blue/green mottled stone. I got some from Kingman a while back & side by side slabs can't be told apart. If I get time today I'll take a couple of pix. of different cabs/slabs to show some of the differences.
Mike
Report Spam   Logged
Michael
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 04:14:40 pm »

Broken Arrow, with crappy silver it moved when I soldered it. oh well, it is in the discount display.   lol

img

Uploaded with ImageShack.us /img

mike
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: