google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

VegasJames(James) Won our July Cab Contest with this unique hematite and limonite!!

photo DSC_04880003_zps7e716018.jpg

Steve Won our April Jewelry Contest with this nice Picasso Marble Broach

photo DSC04979_zps85540a12.jpg

Mineral Image Database

Info, Photos, Rocks and Minerals

Identification of Minerals

Glossary of Rock & Mineral Terms

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 16, 2014, 04:42:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Bumblebee Jasper

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bumblebee Jasper  (Read 2677 times)
bobby1

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:49:10 pm »

A fellow named Donald Kasper posted this on Facebook. I found it very interesting.
Bob

Bumblebee Agate
This material from Indonesia is becoming quite popular. It is sold as Bumblebee Agate or Bumblebee Jasper. Analysis online at a gemmologic web site quotes the miners in correspondence with a contributor. It is mined from sulfur vents. Their speculation on probable composition and my viewing with a microscope shows the following: The material is anhydrite (gypsum), sulfur, hematite, in a matrix of volcanic tuff (welded ash). I also believe it has plumose calcite and ilmenite. While the miners claim they can call it agate because it could have some opaline silica, I would conclude the silica content is negligible so certainly does not qualify as an agate. The material is the most expensive anhydrite-sulfur you can buy at a dollar a gram, watch it decompose and make sulfuric acid to rot your jewelry mounting, and is softer than even travertine making it useless for jewelry. It is all about marketing. Essentially the material is decomposed volcanic ash, which is another name for siliceous mud with sulfur, yet the material is dominated by anhydrite. If it was mostly mud, we would call it Biggs Jasper and charge even more for it. Keep in mind agate forms at a pH greater than 6.5, typically around 8.5 in alkaline conditions, and sulfur forms in extremely acidic conditions of pH 4 or less, so there is no significant silica that can be deposited in these vent conditions. In fact, it would take microscopy to find any silica.

Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:28:29 am »

Thought I might share an eBay link showing several examples..

Very pretty !
Report Spam   Logged

southerly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 04:53:11 am »

Thanks for the post, very interesting.
David
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:29:57 am »

Good to know Bob.
Thanks

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
DonniesTreasures

I just love the surprises!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:12:40 am »

Pretty cool looking rock, but I have not had the desire to get any!  Now I know why!  I though that yellow looked pretty familiar. 
Report Spam   Logged

Rocpup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 09:11:59 am »

Has anyone here had first hand experence with this stuff? I agree it is pretty but it sounds like it is very soft but so is a lot of other lapidary material. The problem seems to be in the discription. Rocpup
Report Spam   Logged

Just one more good rock, Please.
Enchantra

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 12:04:10 pm »

Having taken chemistry classes years ago in college and also being one of those nerdy kids growing up who collected rocks and read a lot about them I typically always associate yellow with a high sulfur content.  Other minerals can make yellow compounds as well, but sulfur tends to be more prevalent than the other compounds.

Now my question is, Would this stuff be workable if it were stabilized so the sulfur wouldn't break down? 
Report Spam   Logged

-Amanda
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/EnchantedRegalia
http://www.pinterest.com/amandabielski/

Coincidence is G-d's way of staying anonymous.  -Rabbi David Abrahams

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever. - Comedian Margaret Cho.

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

We've got a world in which physical miracles are commonplace - and nobody's happy.  We've got what it takes to feed all the billions of us - and half of us are starving.  You can show a dozen guys murdering each other on TV, but you can't ever show two people making love.  A naked blade is rendered less obscene than a naked woman.  Isn't it about time we started trying to get a handle on love, from any and all directions? -Jake (From "Off the Wall at Callahan's" by Spider Robinson.)

A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football!!!  (From an email message I received - so true!)

azsavit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 12:37:49 pm »

I guess it depends on how stable it is, and how quickly it breaks down. The blurb references it forming sulfuric acid, presumably in the presence of humidity. Pyrite will do this too, though elemental sulfur may be significantly less stable. I am sure folks will figure this out rather quickly... Perhaps it could be sealed somehow, but it seems like a lot of hassle for what is already a pretty expensive stone.
Report Spam   Logged

MrsWTownsend
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 01:28:11 pm »

Wow that guy seems like a real hater of bumble bee agate/jasper... 

From the material I have seen first had, I am willing to bet that the cabs you see in the ebay link have indeed been stabilized.  The material I saw, even on the most solid pieces, was still porous; the porosity was what prevented me from buying some.  By the feel of it, I could easily lean toward it being something other than agate, it does seem very soft in comparison.

Regarding the material changing the appearance of the setting it is in, that could be something that is taken advantage of~ after all, sulfer is used to patina silver already so theoretically, the stabilization seals some of the material and the remaining exposure gives a patina look over time.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 02:14:49 pm »

I made a cab several months ago.  I have been following this stone since it came out.  I got a really nice cab out of it, go check my etsy link to see it.  I thought it would be a bit soft to work, but came out harder than i expected.  I posted a thread on this forum before.  I would go look for the thread but my pain is getting too much to sit here any longer.  Oh the heck, here is the thread: http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,7481.0.html

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

MrsWTownsend
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 02:33:00 pm »

Did you stabilize that material Mark?
Report Spam   Logged
Ajo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 03:35:31 pm »

I picked up a slab this year. I bought a slab to try it out. I really think it is not an agate. I think it could be onyx. The sulfur and other mineral infiltrated it. If you look at other types of layerd onyx, they have a similar look, except the color of course.The touch and feel of the material to me, even says soft onyx. I think they named it an agate, because of marketing reasons. Agate sells better than onyx. I happen like the stuff it's something different. You very rarely see a vibarant yellow like it in the lapidary world. I was very sceptical when I saw the stuff, because it was such a vibrant yellow. I thought it was color enhanced. I was told that it was not.  I come to believe that it is an unusual type of onyx. It even cuts an polishes like a onyx. Ajo.
Report Spam   Logged

Eric

RedSkygems.com

Orchids9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 03:52:24 pm »

Have seen this in rough and finished forms, have worked some with out stabilizing and gets a good polish - No pitting etc.   The newest material to come out from indoagate.com seems better then material in the past few years and they have a write up on it here
http://www.indoagate.com/bumblebee.html
Have also been told there is a Cinnabar content, what ever they care to call it has a striking color pattern and does polish and seems stable overall

Paul
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm »

I didn't stabilize mine.  I thought it would be soft to start out with, but it was harder than i thought and polished up pretty good.  The newer stuff on the market now is brighter and more orange and has more pitting.  But it does look good.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: