Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 22, 2017, 10:57:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

I have a Lake on my bench!

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a Lake on my bench!  (Read 784 times)
Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 03:45:11 pm »

We have finally had some rain yippie and a bit of a cool down but it will be back in the nineties  next week but at least I don't think it will be in the hundreds for awhile but who knows for sure out here. Mold can sure be nasty to some folk but not be a bother to others. That good earthy smell of compost is mostly the smell of molds and other fungus at work breading down organic matter. In the winter around here  after a rain things get these little black spots on them and that is just a mold starting to bread down the dead organic material and it sure plays havoc with folks. My oldest son sure has problems with the stuff that breaks down Bermuda grass but it doesn't phase me in the least. He has been better since we moved to the boondocks.
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 03:53:32 pm »

Yes fer sure fer sure be careful of the mold as some can be deadly.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 05:55:33 am »

It's supposed to start raining here for the next several days.
Ought to be interesting to see how the leak behaves under several days of rain.  Thankfully my table has been moved the few inches to keep a new lake from forming.  However that doesn't mean that the carpeting under my table is safe...All depends on how heavily it rains and how fast the leak becomes.  My Sister hasn't had a chance to go crawling around on the roof yet...
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 03:55:44 pm »

She'd better hurry it up winter rains are a coming and you don't want the basement to turn in the dismal swamp. hide
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 06:09:59 pm »

She'd better hurry it up winter rains are a coming and you don't want the basement to turn in the dismal swamp. hide

Winter rains?  No such thing here...
We just get SNOW and more SNOW!  I live where snowdrifts go to die each year!  saved4
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 10:28:33 am »

Farmington, New York.  With all the snow it must get darn cold?  Can't stand the snow and cold much any more.  I am looking for a nice rural area in the northwest with perpetual 75 degree weather, year around.
Haven't found it yet.
How is the lake business?  Better, worse or the same?

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 06:13:45 pm »

Farmington, New York.  With all the snow it must get darn cold?  Can't stand the snow and cold much any more.  I am looking for a nice rural area in the northwest with perpetual 75 degree weather, year around.
Haven't found it yet.
How is the lake business?  Better, worse or the same?

TOG

Cold?  Yeah like -10F in the winter.  We see that sometimes in January or February.  I'm in zone 6a where I am.  Around me we have microclimates ranging from 5a, 5b, to 6b.  Due to this the nursery I work at tries to sell stock that is hardy to zone 4 or 5.  We have the benefit of having wonderful neighbors - one drives a plow part-time in the winter and the other has a plow on his ATV.  They come down and plow out our 70ft driveway regularly because they realized that Mom and I would be the ones out there in -10F shoveling it clean because Dad can't help due to his physical limitations.  70 feet with a turnaround is a heck of a lot of driveway to be shoveling.  I think last year Mom and I only had to go out and shovel twice - and even then we would only get part of it done and they would just appear with the plow and motion us out of the way.

It's pouring outside on and off today (Fall rains), but I haven't been downstairs yet today to check on the lake yet...   hide
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 07:55:33 pm »

omg

-10  Once in ten years it might get that here but it doesn't last.  I would be froze up for sure.

I wonder how my SS knees are going to hold up in the cold.  Maybe I can get them warm then wrap them up and the steel will act like a thermos does...holds in the heat.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 08:44:27 pm »

TOG,
I checked on the lake earlier between making chili and baking cornbread.  Yeah it's there, just thankfully not on my bench!  It's on the concrete floor.  

As for your knees - well, I have several family friends who have had knee replacements - how they feel come winter all depends on how they take care of themselves.  One constantly complains about hurting and aching, but she never gets off her butt and MOVES around.  The other seems to be moving around like they had never had a need for surgery and they do circles around folks younger than them.  It's all about attitude.  If you do your exercises like the doc says and keep yourself moving, and you keep positive, you'll do fine through winter.  yes
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 05:53:17 am »

Well I like to exercise.  I  ride my bike.....that will stop once we get slick roads....probably start walking at Home Depot......I'll do allright.

I know several 'complainers'.....swore I would not be one.....I have a positive attitude and love my new knees.....

Whens your sister going to fix the roof?

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 04:12:12 pm »

Well I like to exercise.  I  ride my bike.....that will stop once we get slick roads....probably start walking at Home Depot......I'll do allright.

I know several 'complainers'.....swore I would not be one.....I have a positive attitude and love my new knees.....

Good, you're all set then.  We have a local mall that opens it doors at 6AM for "mall walkers" who use the mall in all weather to walk and get exercise.

Whens your sister going to fix the roof?

TOG

When she decides to get off her butt and do it.
Considering Dad got so pissed at her on the phone yesterday that he hung up on her, who knows.  dunno bricks
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 06:06:18 pm »

So my sister got up on the roof this past weekend and she caulked the leaky area - or what she felt might be leaking to see if that stopped the leak.  Now we wait for rain to see if it worked...
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 07:45:07 pm »

Its raining hard in KC, might be testing soon... Good Luck:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 03:41:39 am »

Lets hope sis knows what she is doing.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 06:45:24 am »

Well.......is it fixed?

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: