Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 23, 2017, 03:15:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

I have a Lake on my bench!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a Lake on my bench!  (Read 788 times)
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2011, 10:12:34 pm »

Where I have my studio table is in an area where not far away overhead is the chimney pipe for the hot water heater.  In the past I have had water drip from it onto my bench but it's never been a huge issue.  In fact it was never more than a couple drips and then it stopped.  I've pointed it out to my Parents before since it's their house.  We had the roof redone about 7 years ago.  However each time I show it to them they say it's nothing to worry about.

I am working on a project tonight and I go to pick up an item and I realize it's wet - no make that completely sodden to the point where I can't use it till it's dried out.  Wait a minute - where's the water coming from?  I look up - the pipes overhead are dry, the airducts and chimney pipe end appear dry.  WTF?  I hear dripping but I don't see it.  And I'm noticing that it's more than a few drips.  I discover as I move things around that at least a third of my table has a puddle on it.  Now I'm concerned. 

I finish up the project I'm working on and start cleaning things up, trying to find out where this damned water is coming from.  Then I see it.  It's coming down the outside of the chimney pipe, the wood flooring around it above my head is WET! 

So I cleared off a section of my bench and have a towel folded up there to catch the drips from the pipe and this time I swear if Dad says it's nothing to worry about I believe some words are going to be exchanged.  They need to get my sister over here and have her assess it and see what it is going to take to fix it the right way.  I know my sister can fix it, it's just a matter of getting the stuff to fix it.

Wet wood will eventually ROT, Rotting wood grows mold and calls carpenter ants.  Not only is the mold a safety issue, but I can't stand ants.  Add to this I don't need some of my supplies or tools rusting because of the moisture.  The stones won't be harmed by it, but silver exposed to moisture tarnishes, steel tools rust, copper forms an interesting patina - all of which I hardly want.

So until they get this leak fixed how should I deal with this leak since it can cause a possible hazard?
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

asianfire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:32:58 pm »

For a quick reasonable temporary fix, I would recomend a Silicone Sealant (the ones you use on windows and sinks) It works just as well on wood and stone. But remember, thats only a quick "temporary"solution.
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 06:29:13 am »

You have got to figure out why its doing it....just doesn't sound normal.  You are on the right track.
If I were there I could figure out why.....but that won't happen.
Good luck for sure in stopping the leak.
Keep us posted.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:52:14 am »

I dont know Sweetie but a leak will cost lots of money if you dont get it fixed and you already knew that.
If its coming from around the vent to the roof  it just needs some sealant. But someone needs to climb on the roof and do it for you.
If your sister comes over go to Home Depot or Lowes and ask them what to use as sealant.
Ahhhh the pleasure of owing a house.....
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
skystone
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 10:10:48 am »

A few questions about it. Is it the roof dirrectly above you that the vent goes through? Or is it a second floor? Has it been raining? The water heater vent shouldn't really have any water in or on it. Is it a metal vent pipe? I don't know much about the possability of condensation in the East (being in Cal.) A drop or two maybe from condensation if it's been really cold. But sounds like there must be a water pipe involved if you have that much water, or a roof leak in the flashing. Being a plumber by trade, I'd say you better get it fixed what ever it is. If it's a metal vent. Then you have the chance/probability of rusting out the pipe. Then you'll have carbon monoxide issues to deal with. Not a good thing.
Mike
Report Spam   Logged
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 05:56:22 pm »

So I gave my folks the tour of the leak and showed them the extent of things.  The pudding in the pie was opening the door to the closet on the main floor that the chimney pipe runs through and one of the vacuums was wet and there were rust streaks going down the outside of the pipe. 

I don't know when they are having my sister come over.  I'd crawl up there myself except I have issues with vertigo and shouldn't be climbing.  My sister has the ladder and all the proper tools as a construction worker and can get up there and assess the situation.  Dad thinks the flashing around the chimney might have a leak in it.  We had a new roof put on about 8 years ago and haven't had any problems with water coming in till this leak appeared.

My table in the studio has been moved a few inches so water is no longer an issue.  At least my beads are safe now.
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 06:12:04 pm »

I don't know about back there but out here in our area it can always be somewhat of a challenge with heater vents. You see there has to be an air gap to keep the vent pipe away form combustible materials like wood and shingles, usually 1" or so. It takes a special vent flashing through the roof and if you have a lot of snow and rain sometimes these things can rust through fairly fast and depending on the fuel and the amount of corrosion that is produce by the process of combustion they may not last 25 years like the rest of the roof. I know that my water heater vent gave me fits in my old house because instead of being the proper double walled flue pipe it was the old single walled flue pipe and the joints were not taped properly and it also  had the wrong vent cap on it so I had to pull out all of the old single wall flue and put in new double wall, a proper roof jack that had the proper air gap from the combustible roof sheathing and then fit it all under the shingles and install a wind resistant roof cap and then get an inspector to come out and give me a green tag. What a freaking mess all that was! Then the inspector noticed my gas dryer exhaust, it was just that expanded aluminum exhaust duct up through the roof and I had to do it just like the water heater flue and get another inspection. I have grown to dislike code inspectors!!! 
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 05:35:22 am »

The pipe in question is the exhaust for the hot water heater only.  I know it had a new cap and much of the pipe was new when the hot water heater was installed about 6 years ago.  Our best guess is either the flashing where it meets the roof has become unsealed, or something has gotten in and damaged the cap on the chimney somehow.  We'll know more when my sister gets up there.

As for inspectors - it depends on your town.  Codes tend to be relatively universal but how they are enforced varies widely from town to town out here.
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 06:14:12 am »

I will bet that your sister will find the problem and its going to be in the fit between the vent and the roof.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 12:24:05 pm »

You're probably right TOG. 
At least my sister knows how to fix that sort of thing.
Report Spam   Logged

MrsWTownsend
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 03:49:56 pm »

Glad you were able to move your table to another spot at least!

Be careful about mold.
Report Spam   Logged
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 06:41:25 pm »

Be careful about mold.

I'll be watching for mold because of my allergies to mold.  Knowing the leak is on the roof someplace, Mom and Dad are going to have my sister crawl up into the attic and check out the insulation and make sure it's not molding as well.  My sister is so much more lithe and agile than I am even though we weigh about the same.  We were just built differently.
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 04:19:29 am »

Keep us posted.  I was thinking of you this morning as it started raining pretty hard.  I went out to my #2 workshop to check for leaks.  It looked fine thank goodness.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 05:07:00 am »

Keep us posted.  I was thinking of you this morning as it started raining pretty hard.  I went out to my #2 workshop to check for leaks.  It looked fine thank goodness.

TOG

I'll trade you the rain with the frost I woke up to this morning.   yes
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 09:26:01 am »

TOG

I'll trade you the rain with the frost I woke up to this morning.   yes

No, go ahead and keep it.  It will hit here soon enough.  Going for my last knee check with the Dr. and then going over and get some apples at the Orchard.  Not sure what they are having this week.  They pick so many bins of culls and so many bins of #1's.  We get the culls as they are a lot cheaper and are just about as good.

That has nothing to do with your lake table at all....just rambling on.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: