google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Greg Hiller is the winner for our September cab contest with this beautiful agate cab

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
October 25, 2014, 01:37:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Burro Creek Pastelite

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burro Creek Pastelite  (Read 537 times)
deb193

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:31:38 am »

I have not posted much much of my slabbing, trimming, or jewelry projects lately. Been a bit under the weather. I did fill a slab bucket over the last month with about 50 cuts on 12 different rocks, but I have not had the energy to photograph it. I also blocked some boulders of Stone Canyon and Outback Jasper with the angle grinder since I posted my initial blocking session with the angle grinder, but I did not take pics this time.

I did get these slabs on ebay last month, along with some rough of the same material, so I thought I would post a pic. I am not sure if the white bits are as hard as the rest, or how good a polish it will take. I hope to find out soon. I did mark out a few shapes. I kind of like how the material offers large simple shapes of different color from which to compose the cab.

The material is a little more opaque and grainey than other stuff I have seen sold as Burro Creek Pastelite, but it does match this pic I saw on DirtyRockhounds: http://dirtyrockhounds.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Finds&action=display&thread=5858

I am also close to finishing a few settings - (one in copper, one copper & brass, and several in silver), so I hope to post several finished pieces soon. Not sure how soon I will try to set some of this pastelite however. Hopefully this fall.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:33:44 am by deb193 » Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

Social Buttons

drocknut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 09:35:14 pm »

I have not worked with any of that material but I have collected some in the past.  I read in the Rockhounding Arizona book that a  glassy polish is a matter of careful sanding followed by buffing on leather or canvas slopped with tin or cerium oxide.  Hope that helps you.  I'm  not an experienced lapidary but that's what I've read and it seems like it would make sense.
Also glad you are feeling better. 
Report Spam   Logged

Happiness is a box of rocks!
Andere
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:46:36 pm »

It's a subtle pattern, but bold enough to show up across a room. I can see how copper would set it off. Pretty material!
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:00:04 pm »

I bet you get some beauties out of those !
Report Spam   Logged

DonniesTreasures

I just love the surprises!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 06:46:21 am »

Would like to see what you do with one of those, Daniel.  I also agree that copper will be a good choice.
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 07:44:52 am »

@drocknut: thanks for the tip. I have been working almost exclusively with AO powder on felt, or with 100K diamond belts. I just got the 1st endplate for my arbor, and I need to expand my polish methods. This may be a good test.

----

As to setting, I think I was misleading. I guess my post rambled a bit. I have not thought about what metal to use in any of these settings, or whether to go for a more bare look. I am working on several metal-work projects, some copper, and was just saying I hoped to show those before too soon - sort of as a counter balance to one more posting of rough. The largest copper piece uses a polished ammonite half, and the 2nd largest is a mix of copper and brass with a mottled green stone.

Because of some of the greenish and white-green tones in the rock, copper might work. But I think silver with patina would work well too, as well as a more bare pendant.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: