google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Greg Hiller is the winner for our September cab contest with this beautiful agate cab

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
October 25, 2014, 03:07:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Owyee Picture Jasper / Types Of Picture Jaspers In The Owyhee Desert

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Owyee Picture Jasper / Types Of Picture Jaspers In The Owyhee Desert  (Read 2494 times)
Rockoteer

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:19:44 pm »

I paid a visit to Stringer's Rock Shop in Nampa, Idaho last weekend.  Picked up this nice chunk of Owyee Picture Jasper and a big chunk of Jade.  I will post a pic of the Jade later.  I thought it was on the disc but it wasn't.  My digital is the old Sony that uses the small cd's.  You have to initialize and finalize and its a pain so I will do it later.

TOG
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:40:29 pm by Taogem » Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.

Social Buttons

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:19:31 pm »

Maybe it's just me... , but not so sure it is Owyhee..

Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 09:38:41 am »

Maybe it's just me... , but not so sure it is Owyhee..

I guess I will have to cut it to find out for sure.  I held it up and Bill said it was Owyee so thats what I was going by. 

I am just not sure how to cut it???

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

mirkaba

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 10:04:30 am »

I can't tell from the pictures for sure but if the lighter colored areas are sandy it will be really soft and won't polish. Looks like it probably is some type of Owyhee. If it is.... cut perpendicular to the dark crust. It would be nice to see in person though.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 12:08:26 pm »

I can't tell from the pictures for sure but if the lighter colored areas are sandy it will be really soft and won't polish. Looks like it probably is some type of Owyhee. If it is.... cut perpendicular to the dark crust. It would be nice to see in person though.

In other words, in the first pic, cut north and south?

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

catmandewe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 12:32:07 pm »

Bill knows his rocks, so if he said it is Owyhee I would bet on it.
Of course there are lots of different kinds of Owyhee.

I would take a little corner off and see what shows, if it is no good turn it 90 degrees and try again. It does look like you may have alot of the blue in the center, so if you want scenery pics you might only be able to get them by cutting close to the rind. These pieces can surprise you though, so try cutting a little off first and see.

Good luck with it............Tony
Report Spam   Logged

deb193

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 03:04:36 pm »

The blue does not look right for the famous Owyhee. Does look like it is form the "area".

You want to cut across visible hills. Like in the top right side of the 1st pic.

Also trim each edge to block it up a bit and see if there are any other hills under the skin you cut off.

This piece looks like a lot of sky and just a little hill, but hard to know what is under skin.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

socalagatehound

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 03:15:08 pm »

The blue does not look right for the famous Owyhee. Does look like it is form the "area".

You want to cut across visible hills. Like in the top right side of the 1st pic.

Also trim each edge to block it up a bit and see if there are any other hills under the skin you cut off.

This piece looks like a lot of sky and just a little hill, but hard to know what is under skin.

I agree.  I would like to see more blue.  Maybe inside.

Two years ago when I was in the Owyhee/Succor Creek area, we collected quite a variety of the local picture jaspers.  We visited Dale at the Rocky Butte and hounded some of the abandoned digs elsewhere.  Collected rainbow jasper right along the road. I brought home some like that one but haven't had it produce much I wanted to cab.  Doesn't mean that one will or not, but just my experience.
Report Spam   Logged

RareRocksAndGems.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 03:48:27 pm »

There are 72 different identified types of picture jaspers in the Owyhee Desert. The one you have is Blue Mustang. Blue mustang was claimed and dug commercially by Gene Mueller. Bill Stringer is partly correct. It just depends how you say it:  It is picture jasper from the Owyhee's not Owyhee Picture Jasper.  
The term "Owyhee Picture Jasper" is often applied to all picture jaspers in the Owyhees. But this is incorrect. OK. now... The Original Owyhee Picture Jasper is the standard by which all picture jaspers in the Owyhee's are judged.  Original Owyhee Picture Jasper was the first picture jasper found out there and dug commercially for years and is still the King of all picture jaspers and remains the standard to this day.

There are three different main types of Original Owyhee Picture Jasper. Landscape, Pattern type and combination landscape and pattern.
See below:
#1 Landscape type. This one pictured has a sun set, blue sky, desert hills and white sand with red desert flowers in bloom.
#2 Pattern type. This one has red patterns with robin's egg blue, creamy yellow and white backgrounds.
#3 Combination type. This one has desert hills, blue sky or lake, red patterns and black geese and ducks flying in formation in the sun set/sunrise.
Philip-

* Landscape.jpg (43.73 KB, 394x295 - viewed 1206 times.)

* Pattern.jpg (76.38 KB, 600x450 - viewed 48 times.)

* LandscapeAnd Pattern.jpg (147.53 KB, 695x520 - viewed 55 times.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:57:43 pm by RareRocksAndGems.com » Report Spam   Logged

redrockrods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 05:42:26 pm »

Hey philip, how about posing a thread with examples of all 72 Owhyee picture jaspers? I'd enjoy that immensely...LOL
Report Spam   Logged

Don
My websites:
Southern Utah Rock Club | http://www.southernutahrockclub.net
SURC Forum | http://www.southernutahrockclubforum.us
DLC GEMS | http://www.dlcgems.com
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 05:47:55 pm »

Thank you Philip.  Very very interesting.  That is what is so cool about this site.  I went out and dug out another piece I had and I will post a pic of it here.  Its all polished up.

Thanks again.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 05:52:36 pm »

Hey philip, how about posing a thread with examples of all 72 Owhyee picture jaspers? I'd enjoy that immensely...LOL

If your willing to do this Phillip, maybe add them to this thread.. It will remain a pinned thread dedicated to Owhyee type Jaspers 

Any and all examples from members can be shared here ! dancer5
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:54:45 pm by Taogem » Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 06:32:03 pm »

Philip is the Rock God!!!!
I bet he has all different kinds too.
Thank you for the information. You have a lot of great experiences and knowledge to share but not enough time:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
EAGems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 09:09:08 pm »

THIS is why I felt I needed to participate in this forum!!  Awesome info!   I felt I can recognize Owyhee, but I've been confused when I've seen pieces presented as "Owyhee" that I didn't feel were quite right.   We bought a batch at Quartzite a couple years ago and were told it was from the Owyhee AREA, but just not the nicer stuff.  It has some really neat lines in it here and there, but didn't look like what I thought was actually "Owyhee," so when we put up pieces to sell on eBay, we just list it as from the Owyhee area.  Now, that makes sense!   The photo below is one of those pieces.
Rhonda 

(My first photo upload to the forum ... hope I'm doing this right!)

* 1195-Picture_Jasper_005.jpg (51.36 KB, 500x375 - viewed 49 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Rhonda (and ED) - Edward Allen Gems
http://www.EdwardAllenGems.com

* OUR GOAL IS TO HELP SPARK YOUR IMAGINATION AND CREATIVITY BY PROVIDING A WIDE VARIETY OF PIECES OF NATURE, WITH THE HOPE THAT YOU WILL FIND THAT UNIQUE AND SPECIAL INSPIRATION! *

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 09:44:36 pm »

Nice pic, you done good Rhonda.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: