google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Isotelus ( Bryan ) Won our July Cab Contest with this very cool Polka Dot!

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
August 29, 2014, 10:02:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Red Creek Jasper

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Creek Jasper  (Read 479 times)
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2011, 08:14:28 am »

I wasn't sure which forum area to post this under so I put it here.
FireMountain has beads of Red Creek Jasper available now.    ura   For those of you who are beadaholics like I am, this was a drool festival when I saw them in the brand new supplemental catalog I got in the mail this past week.  I found them on their website and ordered a few when I placed an order last night to restock on some other things I was low on.  Here's the link:

http://www.firemountaingems.com/search.asp?skw=red+creek+jasper

*rubs her hands together*  I already have ideas for what I ordered, now I just need the time to sit down and make the stuff.  Most of my studio time has been devoted to earrings because those are selling like hotcakes at both shops.

If I don't make it out of my studio for a while you know why....  lol
Report Spam   Logged

-Amanda
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/EnchantedRegalia
http://www.pinterest.com/amandabielski/

Coincidence is G-d's way of staying anonymous.  -Rabbi David Abrahams

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever. - Comedian Margaret Cho.

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

We've got a world in which physical miracles are commonplace - and nobody's happy.  We've got what it takes to feed all the billions of us - and half of us are starving.  You can show a dozen guys murdering each other on TV, but you can't ever show two people making love.  A naked blade is rendered less obscene than a naked woman.  Isn't it about time we started trying to get a handle on love, from any and all directions? -Jake (From "Off the Wall at Callahan's" by Spider Robinson.)

A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football!!!  (From an email message I received - so true!)

Social Buttons

asianfire

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 08:54:22 am »

With soooo much on offer, good luck getting out at all.  saved2
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
MrsWTownsend
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:52:53 pm »

Oooo those are pretty!!!!  Thanks for the link!
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 10:07:54 pm »

Very pretty and so many shapes to choose from.
Let's see your design when  you are finished please.
Red Jasper is one of my favorites too:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Freeform
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 03:07:05 am »

actaully known as Cherry Creek jasper from China. 
Report Spam   Logged
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 05:59:23 am »

Thanks Shain!

I was going by the name they had posted on the website and also in their catalog.

I'm going to have to wait for my fix though.  Apparently the Holiday this week really threw a curveball into their operations.  Typically when I place an order on a weekend the latest it ships is Tuesday and I have it Friday or Saturday.  This time I woke up this morning (Thursday) and there was finally a shipping confirmation with the Fedex tracking number, which tells me they are just a hair backed up in the order picking department!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:30:45 am by Enchantra » Report Spam   Logged

-Amanda

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever. - Comedian Margaret Cho.

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

We've got a world in which physical miracles are commonplace - and nobody's happy.  We've got what it takes to feed all the billions of us - and half of us are starving.  You can show a dozen guys murdering each other on TV, but you can't ever show two people making love.  A naked blade is rendered less obscene than a naked woman.  Isn't it about time we started trying to get a handle on love, from any and all directions? -Jake (From "Off the Wall at Callahan's" by Spider Robinson.)

A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football!!!  (From an email message I received - so true!)

RoyKims
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 02:39:14 pm »

i've got some cherry creek and where i got it i don't think it's from china. is there a USA equivalent ?  mine is all red with green inside. i'll try and get an image..
Report Spam   Logged
Freeform
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 01:26:23 am »

Roy, what you most likley have is the Original Owyhee Jasper which was also known as Cherry Creek. But that material is a whitish jasper with red and orange flowers.
Report Spam   Logged
RoyKims
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 07:58:20 pm »

i'd post a pic except i haven't got all the codexs for this machine yet.. YEA!!   new laptop for me.. wonder how i'll pay for it..
Report Spam   Logged
NuevoMundo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 06:47:07 am »

Nice to see they are making something out of this material. I have a freeform 'polished' (i.e. lacquered) chunk of this from China. It is so pretty that I'd love to slab it, BUT....

It is so badly fractured I doubt I would get much cabable material out of it.

Ah well.
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 07:34:06 am »

I sent an email to FMG about this stone and it's possible ID mixup.  They wrote me back to say that they are pulling the stock to examine it and get the mixup straightened out if necessary.  I have to admit, any time I've emailed them about something they have been exceedingly quick to take care of things.

As for cracks - they say in the catalog that this material is stabilized, so I'm assuming the host rock was either to soft or just to fractured to do much to it without stabilization.
Report Spam   Logged

-Amanda

Freeform
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 12:42:11 am »

Ya, thats good to know as most of that material needed to be stabilized in order to polish.
Report Spam   Logged
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 04:22:02 am »

It's been about two weeks since I sent FMG my message concerning the naming of this Jasper.  They had sent me a reply a week and a half ago to let me know they were looking into it.  Today I get the follow up.

Dear Amanda,

Thank you for your patience while we were reviewing our red creek jasper items.  In further review we see that this stone can often be referred to as cherry creek jasper.  The product that we have available is noted as being red creek jasper when received from our vendors.  We hope that this information helps. If you should have any further questions or comments, please feel free to reply to this email. You may also contact us via Live Chat by clicking the button below or contact one of our friendly Customer Service Representatives at 1-800-423-2319 during regular business hours.

Best Regards,

So it's both?
Report Spam   Logged

-Amanda

RoyKims
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 06:40:36 am »

in other words ''we don't know and they don't know''..
the answer to a lot of vendors.....

roy
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 08:08:13 am »

When I 1st saw this material about 4 years ago, it had very little red, and the sometimes seen green was never seen. It was primarily blue to light blue-tan rock with darker brownish-tan (sometimes slightly red) lines. It did not interest me too much because the lines were interesting, but the pattern was large and hard to use, and the lines often had unhealed fractures. Many folks, some here, have tossed out rough they got because of too much fracturing, or overly chalky/soft quality.

Many miners seem to have rushed to the area. Either deeper in the claim, or more likely from other claims in the area, darker red lines, and sometimes the host rock with a diffusion of reddish color, and finally sometimes a diffusion of red and green color, began to show up. It had the same hardness (about MOHS 5) and a better proportion of well-healed fractures.

I believe, to distinguish the "new" stuff, vendors began designating it as "Red" Cherry Creek Jasper. Then "Red Creek" became the shorter handle. (Much like Red Crazy Lace vs Crazy Lace, not to mention dropping "Mexican" from the name).

Keep in mind, these are all trade names applied by vendors. Just like Gary Larson's mostly green jasper is generally called "Gary Green", it is also called Larsonite and/or McDermit Bog Wood. In this case too, there are a few names in play. This rock is not even a true jasper. It is too soft. I have seen claims that it is likely silicified calcium-based stone such as dolomite.

I would always look at pictures, because I do not think there is a sufficient standard to permit anyone to use the alternate names accurately to realistically describe varieties of the rock. In fact, in the case of stabilized material, this covers a whole range of practices from sealing fractures, to impregnating soft/porous stone, to reconstituting rock dust.

When it is more silicified, and almost fracture free, with a nice play of color it is very interesting material.

The range of color and pattern is very large. Here are three of my favorite pieces:

While I like FMG as a company, I would never buy this bead from them. All you can expect is some tan to bluish to orangish rock with darker redish lines. Since there is such a wide range of color variation being mined at what appears to be a large scale, I do not think that the pictures they show can be expected to be more than generally representative of the strand you receive, this on top of the unknown stabilization process/chemicals.

I would hand select strands at shows, or get focals from US vendors who have hand selected quality rough with good pattern that does not need stabilization.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: