google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Cowboy Won our June Cab Contest with this very cool Dryhead agate!

photo ken_zps553c5d42.jpg

Greg Hiller won our April/May Jewelry Contest with this beautiful Ethiopian opal set in Argentium pendant

photo Gregg1_zpsbdb030c6.png

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
July 22, 2014, 09:06:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

abandoned garnet mine, GORE MOUNTAIN upstate ny

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: abandoned garnet mine, GORE MOUNTAIN upstate ny  (Read 2247 times)
ErniE
« on: May 04, 2011, 12:47:47 am »

pictures will never show how cool this place is, it felt like being on mars.  i thought i was going to hunt out some garnets but the entire mountain is just made out of it... it just got to a point of "what am i supposed to do now?" so. much. awesome.   

pretty much all of the garnet is all fractured like you see in the pictures, im not sure if its possible to find/remove / use gem quality stuff or not..  anyone have any experience actually working this material?  i was a little overwelmed and didnt know what to look out for other than the entire thing...
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

ErniE
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 12:49:08 am »

oh yeah, thats not me in the pics, i was holding the camera...
Report Spam   Logged
asianfire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 06:25:28 am »

welcome2 to the forum Ernie.

While I certainly have no experience with garnets, I love the place you have been to for the opportunity to do climbing exercises. The walls in the fourth picture would be ideal for relatively easy free-climbing.  eyes1  dancer
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 06:58:00 am »

I don't have any experience with removing anything like like this..

Maybe someone esle can help, but sure looks like beautiful country !
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 07:07:10 am »

Interesting looking country:)
Love those big ole pockets of garnets. Do you think this is the place where they got all those countertops with garnets?
Maybe do a face polish on one side? Would hate to lose any of the garnets though...
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 07:25:29 am »

We have smaller garnets like that around here and years ago I tried to remove some to cut. I beleive they are all fractured beyond use as I never found any large enough to facet. About 2 hours north of here you can find some rather good Pyrope Garnets that are facetable but small.

And Welcome to the forum Ernie........  yippie yippie

Don
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 01:13:07 pm »

Welcome and super cool pix!  yes
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 04:43:58 pm »

Apparently I need to make myself a trip up to Gore Mountain...

Here's a thought - if the host rock is fairly fracture free and stable, try slabbing it and cabbing it up as is.  If once you slab it up you find it has some small fractures in the host rock you can always stabilize the material with Hxtal and then cab away and make some pretty darned unique cabs.  I'd be game for some.
Report Spam   Logged

-Amanda
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/EnchantedRegalia
http://www.pinterest.com/amandabielski/

Coincidence is G-d's way of staying anonymous.  -Rabbi David Abrahams

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever. - Comedian Margaret Cho.

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

We've got a world in which physical miracles are commonplace - and nobody's happy.  We've got what it takes to feed all the billions of us - and half of us are starving.  You can show a dozen guys murdering each other on TV, but you can't ever show two people making love.  A naked blade is rendered less obscene than a naked woman.  Isn't it about time we started trying to get a handle on love, from any and all directions? -Jake (From "Off the Wall at Callahan's" by Spider Robinson.)

A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football!!!  (From an email message I received - so true!)

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 05:00:45 pm »

Welcome Ernie.  I know of Gore Mtn from skiing ads on tv.  I didn't know it was so cool and had Garnets.  I have heard of several places in upstate NY and VT having garnets and old garnet mines.  I believe these were mostly garnets used as abrasives, but i could be wrong.  I may have to haul the family over there for a rock hunting trip this summer.  It looks pretty rugged and dangerous, are there areas that are accessible to families with kids?  Also, is there a place to go and pay to dig or is it abandoned and free and at your own risk?  Welcome again Ernie.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 05:09:51 pm »

I recently took a garnet about 1" in diameter and polished it up a bit.  It looked better but was noting to write home about.  Garnets can make nice crystal type jewelry, but i am not sure you can cab them very well.  A lot of garnets are so dark and deep in color, that you have to have a really thin slice or they look almost black.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

MrsWTownsend
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 05:48:14 pm »

If you were able to anything at all with it outside of keeping it as a specimen I'd be inclined to try what Enchantra mentioned and separate it from the major part of the matrix but leave enough matrix on the back to host the crystal formations.  Obviously you can't polish the crystals and it's likely that, if it is so crumbly, they will fall off from the vibration during cutting and griding/polishing the matrix on the back but you have enough there that you could experiment and see what happens without sacrificing your whole collection.

The crystals can be cleaned with oxalic acid (wood bleach).

The country there is quite remarkable, looks like an awesome place to spend some time!

By the way, welcome to the famn damily.
Report Spam   Logged
Ajo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 09:06:27 pm »

Hi, Ernie. I am originally from Vermont. (I now live in Tucson,AZ). I have been to Gore Mountain four times to collect. I collected at the main mine that you can go visit. If you can come across some tiny facet grade material, it can be cut. There is very little facet grade. Most of it shattered.  The garnet seems to only be of specimen grade, of what I have seen. It also has a perfect cleavage, so it's very hard to cut without it separating. I have seen garnet crystal the size of my hand.  Did you know that the garnet was used at one time to make sandpaper abrasive. That was one of the main uses of it. It also looks like you are at one of the old, old quarries. I went to the fee collecting site on Gore mountain. The garnets are embedded in a very shiny black hornblende host rock. This is typical from the fee collecting area. In the bright sunlight the quarry glistens black & red. I am not sure if they are still open. You can also collect some of the garnets specimens along the railroad beds in the area. They used it as fill for the tracks. If you have a chance check out the Adirondack Museum. They have a lot of history about the garnet mines. Ajo.
Report Spam   Logged

Eric

RedSkygems.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: