google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

VegasJames(James) Won our July Cab Contest with this unique hematite and limonite!!

photo DSC_04880003_zps7e716018.jpg

Steve Won our April Jewelry Contest with this nice Picasso Marble Broach

photo DSC04979_zps85540a12.jpg

Mineral Image Database

Info, Photos, Rocks and Minerals

Identification of Minerals

Glossary of Rock & Mineral Terms

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 19, 2014, 02:18:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Rough Emerald (Photo Heavy)

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rough Emerald (Photo Heavy)  (Read 1252 times)
christopherl1234

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:42:36 pm »

As some of you know I recently bought an estate. I have been sorting through the items in this estate for the last few days. Here is what I found today. I suspect this is a N.C. Emerald. I am not 100% positive as to orgin yet. This CHUNK of Emerald rough weighs 758.8 grams is 2.6" tall, 5.16" long and 3.67" wide.

Anybody have any input as to orgin??
Report Spam   Logged

Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

Art In Stone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:17:18 pm »

Have you tested for MOHS hardness yet?
Report Spam   Logged

vitzitziltecpatl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:29:05 pm »

Jeeeeez! What a lucky dog YOU are! We found some goodies in the only (tiny) estate rockpile we've ever been able to buy, but nothing like that.

Think I'd have to concur with your ID there. Kinda' foolish to make definitive statements from photos only, but I've seen a fair amount of emerald, and that would be my guess too. Maybe Kenneth will weigh in on this one, since he's there close to the source.
Report Spam   Logged

christopherl1234

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:05:30 am »

Have you tested for MOHS hardness yet?

Michael,

I did once I read your post. I ran out to the garage and grabbed a quartz point and some glass. It easily scratched the glass. When I ran the quartz on it I could not tell which was scratching which at first.

This is what I found with the quarts and emerald. I found that there are softer areas on the specimen, that it is not uniform. Makes sense since it is obvious that there is other material on and around the emerald crystals. I actually rounded one of the natural quartz facets when I vigorously rubbed it on an area that seemed clear of matrix.

This test increased my confidence that this is indeed emerald.

As to provenance, I am still not certain. Could be Colombian...not sure....could be N.C.....need further study and or input.

Vitzitziltecpatl,

I do feel pretty blessed. I have been sorting for days and I still haven't finished. LOTS of BEADS!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 06:54:46 am »

Rockman Ken can tell you where this is from. Pine something. LOL
What a wonderful specimen Christopher:) I wish I could carve as I think that would be wonderful as a bear or something.
Its got that little hidden heart in it too:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
krneaves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:47:30 am »

hello to all of you,the black mica on it looks like N.C.but i have never seen one from N.C. with the blue spots on it.hard to tell from the pictures.best regards,kenneth neaves
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 08:44:36 am »

I have a couple of Colombian specimens from when i collected specimens.  Mine are quite a bit darker.  I know that in NC they have have Hiddenite and Emerald, or are they both Emerald but the Hiddenite is a very light variety.  Not sure.  But even then, the variance in color saturation probably doesn't really help, as you can find light to dark in both areas.  Very cool stuff.  I often look at my one piece and wonder how it would look after grinding it out of the matrix.  I figure i could get a crystal maybe 1" to 2" in length and .75 x .75 thick.  It would probably be fractured as heck though and pretty worthless.  Better to keep it in the matrix.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Hummingbirdstones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 09:19:30 am »

Hiddenite is green spudomene (kunzite) that is found only in Hiddenite, NC.  Definitely not what Christopher has.  Hiddenite is a very light, mint green color.
Report Spam   Logged

Robin

" border="0
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 09:40:41 am »

That's right, thanks Robin.  I have been bad and forgotten a lot of my mineral knowledge.  I have a bunch of really nice pieces that i have forgotten the names of since i switched to lapidary about 5 years ago.  I have several pieces of Spudomene / Kunzite from clear to light yellow to light purple.  Kunzite comes in really large crystals, i have a chunk of a piece, that is maybe 6" x 2" x 1" and is really hefty, but to bad, not really gemmy.  I would guess that what Christopher has is not Hiddenite, that stuff is really rare and like you said, really light green to almost colorless.  Isn't it usually found in really thin crystals?  This cluster looks more like emerald to me.
Report Spam   Logged

Hummingbirdstones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:50:52 am »

Yep.  I have some facet grade pieces of Hiddenite that I've been hoarding and will one day facet, after I get the nerve up to try and facet something that has a million cleavage planes.   hide

I think Christopher's specimen is almost definitely emerald -- just the provenance is uncertain.

Great score, Christopher!   ura
Report Spam   Logged

Robin

" border="0
krneaves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 09:58:01 am »

hello to all of you,check the hardness of the white material on the side.if it is calicite then there is no way it is from N.C.it looks to me like brazilian emerald to me.you can see some of the crabtree emerald matrix on my website.i have seen a lot of material from the crabtree mine,bill collins was a very dear friend of mine and allowed me to go down in the mine.there are 3 locations in N.C. where emeralds have been found-alexander county,cleveland county,and mitchell county where the crabtree mine is.like i said,i have never seen blue material with N.C.emerald,the crabtree emerald has purple floride with it sometimes.best regards to all of you,kenneth neaves
Report Spam   Logged

christopherl1234

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 01:03:06 pm »

There are no areas on the specimen. I think what you are referring to are the areas that have a polished hematite like luster. It is actually like a gunmetal gray color similar to galena.

I placed a sample of the white matrix into a  strong solution of oxalic acid and there was no initial response at all. I will leave the sample in this solution to see if I get any reaction over time but it seems like if this area was calcite it would have reacted at introduction.
Report Spam   Logged

krneaves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 02:11:38 pm »

chris,the fourth picture down has the blue spots that i was talking about.if you take a quartz point to the white matrix and it scratches real easy then the white is calicite,some places the cleavege looks like calicite.it may well be N.C.but i have never seen any like it from here except for pictures that they claim to be N.C.that they are finding now in the grand mines that have sprung up everywhere in this area.best regards,kenneth neaves.
Report Spam   Logged

christopherl1234

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 04:54:51 pm »

The white was hard also. Wore down the quartz and did not react to oxalic acid
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 04:56:12 pm by christopherl1234 » Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 07:12:08 pm »

Perhaps if you have a university near you there may be a geology department that could run a few tests for you gratis to determine exact locale for you. I once did some silver casting of a bell for this fellow, it was supposed to be Spanish Colonial silver. Turns out it was a scam and he didn't have quite enough silver to account for all the sprues and risers so he just threw in some fine and sterling silver he had on hand. When the museum he was selling the bell to ran a sample of the silver through a mass spectrometer it show up the modern silver and copper like a red flag. It also showed the Spanish Colonial silver too. The museum also didn't buy the bell but contacted the police about the attempted fraud. If they can find that out about some silver someone could find that out about your emerald.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: