google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Greg Hiller is the winner for our September cab contest with this beautiful agate cab

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
October 22, 2014, 09:00:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Natural malachite or man made?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Natural malachite or man made?  (Read 1511 times)
earthegy
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:49:41 am »

Hey everyone-
Some gem nut just emailed me about a listing in my artfire shop for a malachite necklace.  She said I should specify that the stone is man made, not natural.  I bought two of these stones at a gem show last fall, and I assumed they were natural.  Can you take a look and give me your thoughts?  Attaching a photo, along with a link to the full listing with more pictures.
http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&op=listing&product_id=2824981

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:41:00 am by earthegy » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

elegantcabs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 06:51:46 am »

Natural....
Report Spam   Logged

We get our rocks off on ROCKS
asianfire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:59:36 am »

Don't know about malachite, but just had a look at your offerings.
Congrats, you got a nice variety of items in your shop. Nice presentation in general. yes

What reason did he give you?
I take it that some people are just bugging the competition?

Best regards, Kurt
Report Spam   Logged

I shut my eyes in order to see ~ Gauguin

When you realize there is nothing lacking - the whole world belongs to you ~ Lao Tzu
--------------------------------------------------
Personal website introduction.      brilliantchallenge.webs.com/
earthegy
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 07:07:13 am »

This was her exact email:

Hi. This & the necklace are lovely pieces, but I think you need to state that they are man-made, not natural Malachite. Sorry, but having been a gemologist for over 32 years, I get kinda peeved at people passing off imitation & synthetic stones as the real thing. Please feel free to tell me to mind my own business, lol![/i

There was a bracelet I think she saw too--it was featured ina  collection.  Bracelet pic attached.  But that's the only malachite necklace she could be talking about.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Report Spam   Logged
earthegy
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:12:36 am »

Don't know about malachite, but just had a look at your offerings.
Congrats, you got a nice variety of items in your shop. Nice presentation in general. yes

What reason did he give you?
I take it that some people are just bugging the competition?

Best regards, Kurt

Thanks Kurt!  I don't know why she'd be "peeved" at all.  Unless maybe she thinks the stone is clay or some garbage, but it certainly doesn't feel like it, and I trusted my source when I purchased it.
Report Spam   Logged
NuevoMundo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 07:13:05 am »

The bracelet is almost certainly man-made, but IMHO the necklace is not. It is hard to tell just from a photo, but most of the artificial 'malachite' has banding that is suspiciously strong and consistent. You can see this in the bracelet, but not the pendant.

Just remember: If it is pre-fabbed chinese stuff, you need to think twice about whether or not it is natural.
Report Spam   Logged

earthegy
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 07:19:40 am »

Hmmmm....I just crushed an extra bracelet stone and it keeps it's color and banding through the whole thing.
Report Spam   Logged
NuevoMundo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 07:29:06 am »

That just means it is not a natural stone that has been dyed. It doesnt mean it is not artificial. Rainbow cal-silica and 'fordite' will also keep color and banding all the way through, and they are very much not natural.
Report Spam   Logged

tgood1969
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 08:19:52 am »

I am by no means a malachite expert, but I also believe the bracelet beads to be man-made... as already stated, the banding and the color definition (contrast) in the beads looks too consistent to be all natural.  The banding in all of what I have cut changes directions more erratically as you go deeper into the stone.

Now the pendant is a different story, as it looks very much natural.  Of course, I have only cut a few pound of malachite so that is just my opinion. 
Report Spam   Logged
skystone
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 08:22:47 am »

I agree the pendant certainly looks like natural stone. But the beads look to be man made glass or some material like that. If it was a glass etc it would show the same color etc all the way through. But there are "arm chair experts" out there. Who will claim to be what ever makes them sound like they know what their talking about. Mal. takes a good polish but not a glass like shine(in my experience). But on the other hand. You are selling a hand made pendant (jewelry) not a mineral specimin piece. But I do know the feeling. As I've seem man made or died Howlite/Turquois being sold as real for high bucks.
Mike
Report Spam   Logged
earthegy
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 09:03:42 am »

Heck, I'm afraid to even try to buy turquoise these days because of all the imitations and grossly dyed colors.  And yes, I'm selling jewelry, not mineral specimens, and my pricing is based on my materials cost plus labor...we're not talking expensive products here.  I kinda doubt my $30 bracelet or pendant will be handed down as some great piece for grandchildren  to inherit, I just strive to make something affordable and pretty for someone.

And honestly, while someone may question a stone, and I may not know the answer, it really isn't feasible for me to have every single gemstone I buy tested for authenticity.  I try to use reputable suppliers, and I've purchased my share of garbage that I either don't use or sell very inexpensively with what I believe to be an accurate description of what it really is.  Finding gemstones is always a learning experience, and when I have questions I ask my supplier if possible.  But I can't always guarantee I'll get an answer, or an honest answer.
Report Spam   Logged
vitzitziltecpatl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 02:55:42 pm »

Must agree with the majority opinion here. Bracelet - probably not natural. Pendant - natural. The pendant stone appears to have some pretty typical surface characteristics that are missing on the bracelet stones.
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 04:19:50 pm »

I too agree that the pendant piece is natural, and the necklace is artificial..  bricks
Report Spam   Logged

MrsWTownsend
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 05:16:50 pm »

For what it's worth, the small beads on the necklace look natural...  The large accent beads do not however.  A lovely design and not too big of a deal, just a matter of editing your listing.
Report Spam   Logged
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 05:33:05 pm »

Pendant: Natural
Bracelet: Man made.

The fakes are getting harder to detect but are becoming more prevalent with the cost of Natural malachite going up.  I remember talking to a guy at a show last year and he said Malachite was going up in price because some of the countries in Africa figured out that they could make more money smelting the stuff for copper than they could selling the stuff for gemstone use. 

How to tell Fake Malachite from real?  The banding in the fakes is more consistent and evenly spaced and doesn't have the randomness and orbing natural malachite can possess.

As for the so-called gemologist nit pick that emailed you.  If you even decide to reply you can let her know that A) You did not know the malachite was fake, and B) That you will relabel it, and C) That her input was appreciated.  Leave it at that.  If she manages to get nasty then report the abuse to the powers that be on Etsy or artfire - wherever the problem occurred and let them deal with it.  It's what you pay for is for them to deal with the non-sense so you can continue to enjoy your business.
Report Spam   Logged

-Amanda
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/EnchantedRegalia
http://www.pinterest.com/amandabielski/

Coincidence is G-d's way of staying anonymous.  -Rabbi David Abrahams

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever. - Comedian Margaret Cho.

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

We've got a world in which physical miracles are commonplace - and nobody's happy.  We've got what it takes to feed all the billions of us - and half of us are starving.  You can show a dozen guys murdering each other on TV, but you can't ever show two people making love.  A naked blade is rendered less obscene than a naked woman.  Isn't it about time we started trying to get a handle on love, from any and all directions? -Jake (From "Off the Wall at Callahan's" by Spider Robinson.)

A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football!!!  (From an email message I received - so true!)

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: