Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 24, 2017, 03:10:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

dry grinding agate

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dry grinding agate  (Read 1627 times)
zirconx

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2011, 05:27:38 pm »

Will try this again
Have been trying my hand at dry grinding agate slabs.  Working to keep the dust down and I think I have it.  Now just need to figure out how to get my pieces to polish with out getting them too hot.
Bev

[attachment deleted by admin]
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

thewrightthings
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:58:23 pm »

I may have missed something, but what is the advantage to dry grinding?
Report Spam   Logged
zirconx

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:10:18 pm »

Its an alternative to purchasing a rotating lab with diamond pads to polish brazilian agate.
Bev
Report Spam   Logged
catmandewe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:10:05 pm »

Get an old shop vac to suck out your dust.
You could even take the filter out of it and run the exhaust hose outside, or leave the shop vac outside and run the intake hose inside.
Maybe get a used Richardson's sander, it has a shop vac attachment port and is made for running dry.

Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/
thewrightthings
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 10:25:09 pm »

Thanks for that explanation.
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:21:51 pm »

I dry sand some steps in my large cabs and on slab faces, but I never dry grind anything. It definitely will damage diamond wheels or belts and S/C wheels in addition to causing damage to the cab that needs to be undone later.
I can't see any advantage to doing it.
I always polish with the wheel moist, but never dry. It will cause a heat buildup and results in fracturing.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Freeform
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 03:31:59 am »

Plus, if one is diligent and talks with a vendor like Village Originals. You can buy bulk polished slabs of Brazilian agate(not dyed) for super cheap. Its a wholesale thing, but last i saw them they were getting $16 for each bundle of polished slabs. About 12-15 slabs. Polished on both sides. Mail order or online, i think they have a $250 minimum order, but at Quartzsite you can buy them in single bulk wraps as described above. 

Ya, the heat build up with agates with inclusion will ruin the stone. Creating heat fractures. I agree with Bob, avoid it for polishing.

I have one of those Richardson ranch Style Dry Sanders for geode/thundereggs, petwood, large display pieces. ITs works well for dry sanding, but i not for polishing.
Report Spam   Logged
krneaves
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 02:46:51 pm »

hello,looks like you are fixed up good for dry grinding.i have been carving dry since the 1960's,that was the way i learned.i only wear a dust mask and when i am working on a big carving i have so much dust on me that i look like a snowman.the tools i use are 1 inch and less and the heat builds up slower than it does with big wheels.as large of wheels as you are using i don't see how you will be able to grind and polish them without cracking the slabs.the heat builds up quick with that big of wheels.keep us posted on how it works out and be very carefull what materials you grind dry.best regards,kenneth neaves
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 03:23:19 pm »

Bev,
I notice in the photos that the only wheel shown exposed is a 3" wide belt on an expando drum. By any chance are you actually describing sanding dry rather than grinding dry? If so my comments about grinding dry aren't necessary but those about sanding dry do apply.
I sand dry on a 3" expando wheel a lot; however, I don't drape my machine and I don't wear anything beyond a N-95 rated dust mask. In the summer I do have a small fan mounted above my machine but it is to blow cool air on me rather than any dust removal. This sanding process is my primary method of working any large flat surfaces such as geodes, slabs or the front and backs of my large cabs.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

zirconx

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 06:31:15 pm »

Yes I am sanding.  Because I'm working in the garage, I've covered most of the machine to try and keep the dust to a minimum.   After starting with the towels, the sample slab I leave on top of the grinder combo machine has no dust settling on it.   I don't want to bring any dust into the house is why I wear the garb.  LA has enough junk in the air we breath, I  would rather not  take the chance of breathing dust from my hobby. (Plus my husband gives me a hard time if I don't wear the  big mask he gave me for xmas).
Report Spam   Logged
39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 06:56:22 pm »

Bev,

I know what you'er doing and why you have the grinder covered up. My biggest concern is seeing that you have a couple of slabs weighting down the towell on the end and I can't make out what is holding the towel in the front of grinder. If one or both towels get wrapped on a wheel when you're sanding  then you will have a terrible happening on your hands before you can shout help. I would hope that either the motor or the belt would stall out but there is no guarantee either will.

Be safe.....

Don

Report Spam   Logged

zirconx

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 08:16:20 pm »

Hadn't thought of that.  Will need to rethink the towels.  the towel over the top is not weighted down just draped over the top of the machine.   thanks Bev
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: