Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 20, 2017, 01:35:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Take a look at this shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take a look at this shop  (Read 1234 times)
wyohikeit
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 02:51:49 pm »

Boys and their toys!  I got to see the saws at a big granite mine in California = Awsome!  Did not know that they used cables till then.

My only saw threw chunks of the blade at me last night  bricks I am down for awhile
Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 03:13:53 pm »

I have a friend who wishes to remain anonymous who has dozens of big saws in one room of his factory. His great improvement I believe is that he made exhaust ports on the top of all his saws , each about 6 inches in diameter , and he evacuates the oily  vapors before any saw is allowed to be open. This makes a much nicer working environment  for his employees.
Report Spam   Logged

pete
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 05:03:26 pm »

that one was 30" and it took two guys to put rocks into the vise.

This one is the drag saw, which I did not operate, and yo uhad to load it with a fork lift.

Daniel, do you know any details of the  drag saw,  like blade material and size (kerf thickness) and cutting medium?
 It looks like what used to be called a mud saw which uses loose grit for cutting.
Report Spam   Logged
chad
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 05:47:23 pm »

With that many saws running I'd be afraid to walk around without a respirator :)
Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 06:25:45 pm »

Some of us have given up using our big saws as we are sick of the oil smell and feel. When you rotate from saw to saw the exposure is never ending. I worked in some horrible environments doing millwright work but you leave it there .the saws however  tend to take over your day dawn to dusk when you run a stone cutting business from home and your exposure is continual.I was in a guy's shop today and he pointed to his 36 inch slab saw and said he needed to get rid of it because of the oil. He built a 36 inch water table saw to cut stones with and he is much happier with that.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: