Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 24, 2017, 12:54:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

small corner of shop

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: small corner of shop  (Read 703 times)
Rocksnot
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:45:19 am »

Dremel drill press and swaptop bench are in the corner of basement shop.  Still arranging stuff and trying to get room in garage for the big stuff (but winter here is a bite so it can only be used when it is warm and tools must be tended to before the freeze sets in.

the dremel drill press:
pretty much standard.  I am planning on making a stand for it that will hold it above water tank/tray so I can pump the water through the needle. (look on the left side of base attached to the brass bolt...  it is a needle and tube that has been working so-so at keeping the water coming when I use a thumb pump to squirt some water through it - not real handy though)  It had drilled many holes through a variety of thin, flat pieces that I have made.

the swaptop:
My most expensive tool, bought it at a local rock show 2 years ago.  built bench to keep it all together.  water tank on top by the tumbler.  I did make a base to level the tumbler and isolate it from the shelf to cut down on the noise. 

below the water tank there is a black handle, that's the valve to control the water flow. very nice addition from the pinch thing that was there before.  The light bar was a $5 sale from home depot that really made a difference on seeing what I was doing.

a padded shelf for the other tops when not in use.

the bottom shelf holds the drain bucket and other 'stuff'

have a piece of plastic sitting there to make a sled for the saw top.  help me control better.  I have noticed the aluminum top seems to have some grabby drag and has gotten a few small scratches :(

any ideas?  sage advice?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:05:44 pm »

No advice..

Looks great to me !
Report Spam   Logged
Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:38:10 pm »

How do you like your Inland Swap Top?
Report Spam   Logged

39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 07:06:16 pm »

Everyone need stuff to cut their rocks with so you have a good start........ yes yes

Don
Report Spam   Logged

Rocksnot
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 10:06:49 pm »

Bentiron - the swap top has been real good start for me.  Only had the 320 lap blade seen out of balance otherwise it has been a great start.
I am working on a sled for the saw.  I think the aluminum top drags some on the rock being cut.  On the other had I have tried to cut rock at the max. thickness it will cut.  On pieces like trimming slabs it has worked good.
Report Spam   Logged
Uncle Soska
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 08:48:06 pm »

I've had the Inland a few months now and love it! The saw is strictly a trim saw, no matter how you slice it. Trying to slab small  rocks left so many saw marks that I wound up getting a 60 grit lap just to smooth bottoms. A bit on the scary side too!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: