google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Greg Hiller is the winner for our September cab contest with this beautiful agate cab

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
October 19, 2014, 10:19:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Mtorolite

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mtorolite  (Read 495 times)
bobby1

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:10:05 pm »

Last week when we were at Tuscon I came across this material. I had seen small pieces before but they were very pricey. I decided to try some since I have never cut and polished any. It is also called Chrome Chalcedony. They only had a few 7mm beads as an example of finished pieces and, unfortunately I didn't get any photos. The beads were a medium light green with a slightly mossy appearance. The material comes from Zimbabwe.
Nearly all the pieces were quite large and it took me a while digging through the pallets of rough to find a couple pieces that I could afford.
The prices were $100 a kilo ($45 a pound) if you bought a smaller quantity and $60 a kilo ($27 a pound) if you bought a 100 kilos.
Here are the photos:
The rough comes as large seam pieces 1" to 3" thick and with a lot of bubble-like indentations and convolutions. It definitely not shaped so that you could get very large slabs out of it.

The center piece is about 6" across.

These are the pieces that I bought. The large one is about 7 ounces and I paid $14 for it, about $70 a kilo. The smaller one 1s 2.3 ounces and I got it for $5. I was able to talk the dealer down in price because it was late in the last day of the show and he was in the process of packing things up.

I'm looking forward to cabbing this material after I finish some other cabs that I have already
promised.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:38:44 pm »

Nice color that dark green on the small chunk and I like the texture on the larger chunk, are you going to try to preserve that area like one would for druzy? Looking forward to the cabs dancer5
Report Spam   Logged

RoyKims
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:15:27 pm »

can't wait for you to do your magic to them..
should be real nice
Report Spam   Logged
39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:20:08 am »

Strange material indeed. It looks as though there won't be any large cabs either.
Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:35:46 am »

Don,
Its not likely that I can get any very large cabs from the material. From the large pieces of rough that I saw the material definitely isn't heavy slabbing stuff. I'm not particularly impressed with the color at this point but who knows it may suprise me! Because of the really high price on this material I can see why it hasn't become more popular.
Yes, I'm going to try and save the botryoidal section on the larger piece. Hopefully  next week I will get to working on it. Our 13 tear old grandson is visiting this week so he is the focus of my attention.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:29:43 pm »

Don,
Its not likely that I can get any very large cabs from the material. From the large pieces of rough that I saw the material definitely isn't heavy slabbing stuff. I'm not particularly impressed with the color at this point but who knows it may suprise me! Because of the really high price on this material I can see why it hasn't become more popular.
Yes, I'm going to try and save the botryoidal section on the larger piece. Hopefully  next week I will get to working on it. Our 13 tear old grandson is visiting this week so he is the focus of my attention.
Bob

I'm sure he wants all the attention he can get.   ura ura
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:30:35 pm by 39don » Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 05:40:12 pm »

We love being with him. This morning we took him to the snow at Strawberry (about 25 miles East and above Sonora). It is at about 5500 feet so there was a lot of snow to play in. If you stepped off the well trodden path you would sink in up to your waist. It wasn't too cold - 37 degrees and briefly sunny. A new storm is starting to form, though.

He was getting tired and starting to sweat from the exertion. He said he wanted to fall into the soft snow as a last gesture before we left.

Here are some scenes in the area.
Bob

Report Spam   Logged

39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 05:57:36 pm »

I don't know what makes Grandparents more proud, being with their grands or just outright spoiling them.

You can tell that young man is having and has had a great time. One that he will cherish for a long time.

The scenic beauty of the snow and trees make for great photos too.   hatsoff

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: