Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 20, 2017, 01:18:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

My den of iniquity (or the dog house)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My den of iniquity (or the dog house)  (Read 754 times)
skystone
« on: December 28, 2010, 07:24:31 pm »

We have a small one bedroom apartment behinde our house. We don't rent it out anymore. So the bedroom has become my lap/ silver studio. I also do leather work & another part of it. Is my leather working area (the rest is junk storage LOL) I have an area with bench for the layout & fabrication work. The other corrner (west side) is my soldering station. Then I have the bench area for grinding & trimming stone. In what was the closet I built a bench for my silver polishing & extra tools. Home built dust collection cabinet. I built from plywood & used an old fan motor from a kitchen hood. Ducted outside through a piece of drier vent. Just next to that is my home built disk buffer. So I can use the grinder & turn arround to the buffer. or from the buffer if I notice some scratches back to the 3,000 diamond wheel & back again. The unit is self built from a hardwaer store arbor, a cake pan, a cheap fountain water pump (Harbor Freight $10.00) & a piece of aluminum for the hood. The brass petcocks were the most expencive part of the whole rigg (not counting the motor). Works quite nicely with the expandable drum, a 6" disk on the end I glue wet & dry sandpaper to (1500-2000) & the 3,000 gritt diamond rubber wheel my wife got me for Christmas. Roof leaks a bit (but only when it rains) (summer project LOL) & my son got me an electric heater. Wife got me a mini refrigerator too (think they're trying to tell me something?) Finally my 10" Frantom combination unit in the garage for the slabbing & rough grinding. All the comforts of home LOL MMMMMMMM?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

skystone
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 07:34:42 pm »

Had to make a second post for the storage stuff. You can never have enough storage areas. I bought two double drawer cabinets (night stands?) at a thrift store for about $10.00 each. Nice white melamine finish with good sliders on the drawers. One I hve under my fabrication bench. For my silver wire etc. The other is under the buffing unit for the extra buffing wheels & the bottom drawer is rough storage. I'm including a picture of some cool heavy plastic storage boxes I got at Harbor freight. They're great for slab storage & I keep my coral in one too. The handy thing is thwe individual boxes lift out so you can take it to your bench. Without taking the whole thing. which gets a bit heavy when filled LOL.

Report Spam   Logged
thewrightthings
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:33:59 pm »

I'd say, you are not going to rent that area out in the near future!  Great space for a studio.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:48:47 pm »

If you are going to rent it out you might want to pick up a little....kidding of course....looks like you have a lot of equipment.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:18:34 pm »

You have a little of everything !
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:22:17 am »

That's some beautiful pieces of Mediterranean Coral! Real scarce and pricey nowadays!
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

skystone
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 12:35:47 pm »

Oh you noticed thatr? Good eye. Yes the good deep red coral is getting hard to find, and rather expensive. I bought about 10 Oz. in Gallup in Oct. cost $50.00 an Oz.  We complain of the cost of a gallon of gas LOL But with silver at more than $30.00 an Oz. what isn't expensive in this hobby/ bussiness? Good turquoise is $150.00 a pound & up too.
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 06:51:10 pm »

Back in the late 70's when I was making Indian style jewelry I remember buying the Mediterranean Coral for use in the jewelry. I don't recall exactly what it cost but it wasn't cheap then, either.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 03:27:37 pm »

Yes I can remember in the '70's I went to a show and purchased a 3lb piece of extremely nice rhodachrosite for $30 bucks which was all I could afford at the time. We left later with our only purchase.........

That piece today would cost in the neighborhood of $300/$500.....

I think I can see a light pink piece of rhoda in the pan on top of the buffer.....

Don
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 08:44:46 pm »

Don, is that your street rod?

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 11:03:43 pm »

Rock, yes and auctually it's the first car I purchased when I was a teen ager. I've owned it over 50 years.
After sending 3 kids through college I succeded in getting it close to where I wanted it. It's not for show but is a driver. I did all of the work except for the body work. A frame off with a Mustang II front end, a Jaguar rear end, a TIP 350 and 700r4 trans. I painted it in the driveway with lacquer. We generally put 6k/8k miles on it a year.
The wife and I dated in it when it was factory original.
It was 20 years old when I purchased it for $235.00 and registered as a 1938 due to being built in 12-12-1938.

Don
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: