Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 24, 2017, 10:49:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

My Shop is Going UP!!! Happy Happy Dance

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Shop is Going UP!!! Happy Happy Dance  (Read 1011 times)
spirit bear beads
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:42:21 pm »

Yippee!!!! yippie yippie yippie yippie yippie

My long awaited shop/garage is going up finally...   I was so afraid the weather would stop it.  About 6 months of planning and 2 months of waiting on the contractor ( he is that busy!)  Tomorrow the temp is supposed to hit 50 and they will pour the floor.   It is 24' X 30'.  Half will be my shop/studio.  The half with the windows.  The other half for parking the car and excessive overflow of JUNK from the house,  I come from a long line of pack rats.  Then at least ONE of the bedrooms can become a guest bedroom again.   Currently one bedroom is full of beads, another bedroom has my soldering bench and the tiny ameritool flat lap and trim saw along with boxes and boxes of rocks and additional misc  'stuff'.  The small gray shed off to the left side of the new building houses my cabbing arbors and polishing lathes along with MORE STUFF....  If I ever have to move it is going to be a disaster.   omg

So the pictures (I hope) are in chronological order.  Beginning yesterday (monday) morning up to today about 1pm.

I'm Soooo Happy! dancer7

[attachment deleted by admin]
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 01:28:57 pm »

Mia, That's great!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 01:37:50 pm »

That'll be nice when it's all done and finished. There is just one problem though, your stuff will multiply to fill all available space and then some, I know, every time I get a bigger work space, withing six months it too small again dunno
Report Spam   Logged

mirkaba

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 01:58:04 pm »

I am so very envious Mia...........Congratulations and ENJOY!!
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.
spirit bear beads
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:07:25 pm »

That'll be nice when it's all done and finished. There is just one problem though, your stuff will multiply to fill all available space and then some, I know, every time I get a bigger work space, withing six months it too small again dunno

You are absolutly RIGHT... and I know it..  sad but true.
Report Spam   Logged
Alvin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 03:20:48 pm »

looks like it is not your only building. leave room for the next one. looks nice. like the car will ever make it into the garage.
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 03:22:23 pm »

They would never use wood in the ground out here even if it was treated, the termites would still find a way to eat it. Must be nice to live in an area where you can build things out of wood an not need to be treated every couple of years for termites. That is sure going to be nice, I bet by this time next year you'll be building a garage for the cars.
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 03:34:08 pm »

A lot of post frame buildings here, and we have lots of termites. Mia lives south of us, about 60 miles, and out in the woods too! Treated Timber!
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 05:11:03 pm »

You lucky duck.  Looks like they are really cookin on it.  Won't be long now Mia.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
spirit bear beads
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 05:18:56 pm »

A lot of post frame buildings here, and we have lots of termites. Mia lives south of us, about 60 miles, and out in the woods too! Treated Timber!

Yes and I have bug spray and know how to use it!!! lol
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 05:20:30 pm »

Mia, I could've got you a deal on concrete!
Report Spam   Logged

spirit bear beads
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 06:07:17 pm »

OH!  now you tell me....  bricks  it's ok, thank you tho. The contractor arrainged everything.  But if I ever need any..... I will let u know!
Report Spam   Logged
RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 08:47:35 pm »

Wow, Mia...that's great.
Looks like you have fabulous views on your property....gotta love the Ozarks!

Nancie
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Don't take life so seriously...It's not like you're going to get out alive ;-)                                                        

spirit bear beads
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 08:58:07 pm »

HI Nancie,
Yes in the winter we do have a nice view.. in the summer, well,  too many trees.

Today they poured the floor, installed the garage doors and closed it all in.  They will finish tomorrow...
Report Spam   Logged
Charlotte
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 09:12:09 pm »

Mia, you are so lucky how fast they are going.  The guys I had couldn't finish anything. 
Report Spam   Logged
spirit bear beads
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 09:47:14 pm »

THESE GUYS ARE GOOD!  They all seem to know what to do, and go about their work with no fuss or arguing.  They came recommended and so far have been excellent. 
Putting up these metal buildings is all they do, and the boss seems to have a system that works really well.  They show up with everything they need to do the job. 

Today about 2:30.  I think that's amazing.

Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 09:29:01 am »

You are going to post pics of the finished shop, I hope?

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

spirit bear beads
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 10:49:47 am »

You are going to post pics of the finished shop, I hope?

TOG

You Betcha....  Outside is done... concrete has to cure a week.  Then wireing, insulation and some sort of wall board.  I have a plan in my head for the organization once that is done.  Will be a work in progress for a while!  But getting the building up was 90% of the battle, the rest is all 'inside' work and the weather be D****d.   ura 
Report Spam   Logged
spirit bear beads
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 07:39:53 am »

Sooooo 2 long months later I am finally moved in to my shop.  Even had visitors yesterday.  Kinda of crowded with 7 Adults, 2 kids and 2 dogs in there LOL!  But all good. 
Pix starting with the Bead Wall, and moving clockwise around the room, Silver/Soldering station, Workbench with polishing equip, center table with old Arbor/saw, and storage shelves all on castors can be rolled out of the way to open the garage door.

Report Spam   Logged
tgood1969
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 08:25:25 am »

Wow, I am just a little envious at the moment.  Not only do you have a nice space, but you seem well stocked as well.  Enjoy!

Report Spam   Logged
spirit bear beads
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 08:38:57 am »

Thanks Mike.... yes well stocked, I have been selling beads on Etsy for 3 1/2 years.  And started aquiring rock and lapidary equipment a year ago.  I only lack a big slab saw..
Report Spam   Logged
Steve

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 10:35:23 am »

"Space.....The final frontier.........." These are the stoners from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum.......

WOW........ omg ..........That is a fantastic workshop................congrats................ party2

Now it's time to put the nose to the grindstone................ minemine2
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 10:43:29 am »

Mia, the ladies sure enjoyed bead shopping. Mia has left space for a slab saw, but the only space I saw available, for the rough she will end up with, is in the other half of the shop, where her husbands new Chevy pickup is parked. LOL
Mia, just a great shop you have! I especially loved the silversmith station, looking out the window, across the valley. Inspiration right there.
Report Spam   Logged

spirit bear beads
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 10:58:49 am »

Mia, the ladies sure enjoyed bead shopping. Mia has left space for a slab saw, but the only space I saw available, for the rough she will end up with, is in the other half of the shop, where her husbands new Chevy pickup is parked. LOL
Mia, just a great shop you have! I especially loved the silversmith station, looking out the window, across the valley. Inspiration right there.
Thank you Dave.....  and you would almost think I planned that view, huh?
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 01:52:48 pm »

I am having a me, me, me moment !

Totally jealous !

Great looking shop  yes
Report Spam   Logged
spirit bear beads
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 02:04:59 pm »

Thank you....  I am still doing a happy dance... dancer5
Report Spam   Logged
DonniesTreasures

I just love the surprises!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 04:35:01 pm »

Awesome shop.  Makes me want to go organize mine to make it look better.  Having trouble moving around stuff, lately!
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 04:48:46 pm »

Wow I love it!!!!!
I wanna shop like that and all that stuff too:)
Congratulations Mia:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
spirit bear beads
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 05:07:59 pm »

THANK YOU Scarlett...  was lucky enuf to inherit some jewelry making tools from my parents, the estate sale I bought out, and just plain plunking down the green for the rest. 
I dislike my 'real job' but it pays for my toys for now! 
If any of ya'll get to NW Arkansas come look me up! welcome2

PS I almost forgot, my wonderful son, who is a PITA sometimes but one hell of a carpenter who framed and enclosed the room and built my bench...  He will never see this but, I owe him a big Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 08:23:08 pm »

Saweeet Mia.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

RoyKims
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 09:03:24 pm »

and i was happy with my 12x12'.  something to dream about..
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 07:38:12 am »

I am so jealous, that is a beautiful area.  I work in a cave, I mean my basement, and its about as close to one you can get.  I have a 140 year old stone foundation basement that i work in.  Call it rustic, and really cold this winter.  They knew what they were doing back then, as the foundation is still perfectly straight and all the floors are level.   I have some metal shelving like yours, but my shelves are all bent in the middle from too much weight from the rocks.  You are a lucky dog having a foredom metal hanger too.  I hang my foredom with 12 gauge electrical wire attached to the ceiling.  Yesterday i threw out 4 large leaf bags of peanuts, flattened boxes, and grocery bags, to make room for my bench grinder.  I have an antique dining room bureau that i covered in cardboard and I placed 2 x 4s on it to lift the bench grinder away from scratching the wood.  Its so nice to see a new workspace, i bet it smells good too, like that new car smell.  I am still happy to have my space, soon to be inhabited by 10,000 spiders.  This year its war, me against the spiders.  Before i started making jewelry, i was just down there for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday.  Now i am down there everyday and when it warms up, the spiders will come out.  I am going to drywall as much of my walls and ceiling as possible and maybe fumigate, i just don't like the idea of spiders falling down into my hair, or better yet, into my torch flame.  Maybe after setting a few on fire, the rest will leave peacefully at a very ungraceful 8 legged dash.  This year its me or them, and i ain't moving.

Congrats again, that is a super shop.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

spirit bear beads
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 08:50:45 am »

I am so jealous, that is a beautiful area.  I work in a cave, I mean my basement, and its about as close to one you can get.  I have a 140 year old stone foundation basement that i work in.  Call it rustic, and really cold this winter.  They knew what they were doing back then, as the foundation is still perfectly straight and all the floors are level.   I have some metal shelving like yours, but my shelves are all bent in the middle from too much weight from the rocks.  You are a lucky dog having a foredom metal hanger too.  I hang my foredom with 12 gauge electrical wire attached to the ceiling.  Yesterday i threw out 4 large leaf bags of peanuts, flattened boxes, and grocery bags, to make room for my bench grinder.  I have an antique dining room bureau that i covered in cardboard and I placed 2 x 4s on it to lift the bench grinder away from scratching the wood.  Its so nice to see a new workspace, i bet it smells good too, like that new car smell.  I am still happy to have my space, soon to be inhabited by 10,000 spiders.  This year its war, me against the spiders.....

Mark,  you are soooo funny,  You against the spiders!!!  I hate spiders too!  I have a spider killing DOG!  Yup it's true, spiders, bees, any moving bug is his ENEMY!  LOL
 The Fordom hanger you mentioned, it is a metal plant hanger that is supposed to clamp onto the railing on your deck or porch and hold a hanging basket.  And the metal shelving is all brand new, from Sam's club, I spent the better part of my year end bonus from the hated job on that shelving, there is more over in the other side of the building with the pickup,  will hold the overflow and the extra rock Dave seems to think I will end up with!
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 01:15:39 pm »

That I know you will end up with!  saved2
Report Spam   Logged

spirit bear beads
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 01:39:02 pm »

You are sooooo funny!      yippie
Report Spam   Logged
Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 04:23:57 pm »

and i was happy with my 12x12'.  something to dream about............................Roy, You GOT that much space! Hot diggty dog! I got my jeweler bench and a desk and a small space in the cold garage for my polishing lathe. Spirit Bear has got the Rothschild's Palace of shops now!
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 11:00:17 pm »

The Taj Mahal.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

spirit bear beads
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 11:19:10 pm »

That I know you will end up with!  saved2

If you have anything to do with it I will..... Dave is an instigator!!! 

Hey before I built this shop, I had my wheels in an 8X10 storage shed that still had lots of stuff stored in it.  My silver soldering bench and a lot of my rough was in one spare bedroom that doubled as another storage area ( we are pack rats) and my beads in yet another bedroom, that was supposed to be the guest bedroom.  No guests could get in. hide
Report Spam   Logged
RockIt2Me

"Rock It 2 Me!"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 05:59:28 am »

Wow,Mia!   yippie
Alittle late on the congrats....fabulous space.
I, too, work in my basement some and a spare bedroom.  I use the basement for the saws and the bedroom for the grinders....I need windows.

And Dave is right...I have a plethora of rock and just keep getting more.  My summer project is to build more 'sturdy' shelving for rocks.

Nancie
Report Spam   Logged

Nancie
"Rock It 2 Me"
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.   

Don't take life so seriously...It's not like you're going to get out alive ;-)                                                        

spirit bear beads
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 10:09:44 am »

Hi Nancie,
Well you will just have to come up and visit sometime!  These shelves I got at Sam's are fantabulous!
 You know what Dave has is contagious, Rockaholism.   saved2  If you get within 10 feet of him, you CATCH IT! saved2
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 10:58:32 am »

If you get within 10 feet of him, you CATCH IT!

I personally think if you spend any time at all on this site you CATCH IT if you don't already have it.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: