google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Greg Hiller is the winner for our September cab contest with this beautiful agate cab

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
October 21, 2014, 02:42:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Honduran Opal

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honduran Opal  (Read 659 times)
Neural

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2010, 02:07:56 pm »

I'm not going to comment on this save to say that this stuff got to the rock bottom of the list on polish quality, grabbed a shovel, and started digging.

I took this to 50k

Report Spam   Logged

Jon

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity, and I'm walking it like a drunk" -N

Social Buttons

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 02:32:15 pm »

Interesting colors........but I ca see what you mean by polishing quality...................  dunno
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

rocknroll

Jon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:43:48 pm »

still cool
Report Spam   Logged

Hummingbirdstones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 02:58:32 pm »

Jon,

Honduran is notoriously porous and needs to be stablized before you can even think of getting a shine on the bugger (kind of like the Andamooka sandstone matrix).  I have a few pieces of Honduran basically just to have them in my collection.  This, of course, only applies to the Honduran basalt variety and not the Honduran opal in rhyolite.

Report Spam   Logged

Robin

" border="0
elegantcabs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 04:19:16 pm »

What you wanna do is do what Humming said.....stabilize it in Opticon at 140 degrees overnnight......then what ya wanna do it to buff it, and buff the heck out of it......actually, the warmer you get it while buffing the brighter the opal.......its sorta reverse with Honduran where heat doesnt destroy..............let me know if you need anymore hints or trick......I have a few up these ol sleeves
Report Spam   Logged

We get our rocks off on ROCKS
DrJoe
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 03:57:37 am »

Or get some quality material, the darker the matrix the better,  No sand spots. and it doesn't need stabilization. It should have a multitude of pin fire and the best stuff has blade flash, otherwise you may as well polish concrete. headbang118

Here is an example http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,1608.0.html If it doesn't look like that keep looking!  yes

Neural, how big is that piece?

Dr Joe

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:59:21 am by DrJoe » Report Spam   Logged
lapuser
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 06:58:52 am »

The darker Honduran material  with none of the lighter gray spots in it is the best. It will take a pretty good polish. If you get poor quality Honduras you will never have a good cab without stabilizing it as others have mentioned. Something I am thinking about trying one day is an optical grade "glue" used for bonding lenses. It does not turn that greenish yellowish color like I have found Opticon to do. I have a vacuum pump and when I get around to trying this one day this is where I will start, with a hard vacuum to pull the stuff into the rock. It is UV light cured and how that will work out i don't know but I intend to find out one day.
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 08:33:17 am »

The ones I have done, they were capped, and looked okay. Hard to stabilize muddy rock.
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Alvin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 01:35:16 pm »

i never did pay much attention to opal, but you guys keep putting up this nice stuff and I find myself buying books on opals and looking to buying some opal. thanks I think.
Report Spam   Logged

DrJoe
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 06:19:08 pm »

Go ahead...take the plunge!! That's what the kid's would want you to spend that college fund on...honest!  yippie

Just remember... you can't go back!

Dr Joe

Report Spam   Logged
lapuser
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 07:30:39 pm »

You have that right for sure!!  I was warned that opal was addictive before I started cutting and that warning was correct and from another addict who could only stand there and warn me with no hope I would listen :-]
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: