Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 22, 2017, 11:03:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Amazonite lead content

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazonite lead content  (Read 755 times)
earthling
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:51:34 am »

So, I know amazonite gets its color from the amount of lead in it.  I'm interested in potentially using it to make some rings out of.  Should I be worried about the high lead content when worn in constant contact with the skin like that (actual amazonite rings, not cabs to be set in something)?  Or is the lead stable in the amazonite and won't leech out?
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

NuevoMundo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 03:59:19 am »

From everything I have read, lead is in there in pretty low levels, and Amazonite is generally pretty stable. I would not worry about it... There is probably more lead in the crap you buy everyday from China....
Report Spam   Logged

greenhorn
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:54:31 am »

I agree with mundo, but if you are sketching about it you could use a very hard finish on the stone like super glue. Woodturners use superglue to finish small pieces all the time, it buffs to a super high polish as long as you dont touch it and turn it white.
Report Spam   Logged
earthling
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 11:00:10 pm »

Thanks!  The superglue is a good idea -- I'll probably go that route just to play it safe.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: