google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Cowboy Won our June Cab Contest with this very cool Dryhead agate!

photo ken_zps553c5d42.jpg

Greg Hiller won our April/May Jewelry Contest with this beautiful Ethiopian opal set in Argentium pendant

photo Gregg1_zpsbdb030c6.png

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
July 29, 2014, 10:58:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Anyone ever tumbled Hickorite?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever tumbled Hickorite?  (Read 295 times)
earthegy
« on: November 05, 2010, 03:18:51 pm »

I'm looking at these on ebay, and they're calling my name, but I'm curious if anyone has worked with hickorite.  I'd never even heard of it.  Thoughts or advice?

Ebay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150513142239&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

Thanks-

Chrisy
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 12:45:34 am »

Looks like no is able to help about being able to tumble it.

I don't tumble anything so not able to help either.

Did you end up buying that eBay listing ?

Report Spam   Logged

earthegy
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 10:04:35 am »

I was out on a first date (which went really well, thank God!) when the listing ended, so I missed it.  I may check to see if it's been relisted.

I still might buy it...it was dirt cheap and really pretty.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 06:05:38 pm »

I was out on a first date (which went really well, thank God!) when the listing ended, so I missed it.  I may check to see if it's been relisted.

I still might buy it...it was dirt cheap and really pretty.

You don't think it would have been wise to excuse yourself while you checked on an Ebay listing?

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 06:27:33 pm »

It's been relisted. It looks like that wonderstone you had on one of your other posts. Did you have a good time? dancer5
Report Spam   Logged

JadeJunkee
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 06:29:03 pm »

LOL!  I thought hickorite (Hickoryite) must be a joke name...so I had to google it...it's real...just a variety of rhyolite:

http://www.mindat.org/min-38864.html
Report Spam   Logged
earthegy
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 05:30:50 pm »

Well....he was a really really good first date, and last night was a 2nd date, so hickorite had to go on hold.
Report Spam   Logged
donsstoneimages

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 10:14:38 am »

Good hickorite tends to be pretty solid and takes a good polish.  You shouldn't have any problem tumbing it.
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 04:44:12 pm »

Hey, I guessed right, " a type of wonderstone". How was the second date? Is he a keeper? dunno
Report Spam   Logged

earthegy
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 05:45:34 pm »

The second date was awesome, and he most definitely is a keeper.  He stopped and brought me baby chick feed and a feeder and waterer for the babies (my local store was closed Saturday), he brought me flowers, he cooked our ribeyes, he played with the baby chicks, brought his dog and played with mine....and I can't tell you the rest of the details, but I'm getting that 3rd date lined up for this week.

And he thinks my rocks are cool...
Report Spam   Logged
Alvin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 07:44:05 pm »

he must be learning. I would have bought that hickorite by night two with an express delivery. sometimes we need direction.
Report Spam   Logged

earthegy
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 07:54:02 pm »

It's relisted or another batch was listed and fair game, but I think the seller had vacation settings on, so it's not shipping out till they're back.

And yes, men generally need direction, but I'm pretty clear on giving it, and he's been a very quick learner around me....
Report Spam   Logged
earthling
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 09:01:36 pm »

I have both carved and tumbled hickoryite.  I came across about 40lbs of it a few months ago when I was first starting working with stone.  It carved and tumbled great... a lot like a jasper.  I did notice that some of it is very dense and smooth and finishes great, while other pieces are much more porous and grainy and don't carve or polish well -- a lot like some picture jaspers... almost sedimentary how porous those pieces were.  The really dense stuff finished up and carved great though.  Just my two cents!
Report Spam   Logged
earthegy
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 10:54:53 am »

I'm happy to report the ebay seller relisted another batch of the hickorite, and I won it last night.  $5 for 1/2 pound with shipping, so it's going to be a fun next project to tumble.

I bought some polished wonderstone rocks at a gemshow, which are my favorites, so I'm hoping I can end up with something similar looking.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: