Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 20, 2017, 01:31:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

My Cubbie Hole

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Cubbie Hole  (Read 1084 times)
Steve

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:27:31 pm »

Since I borrowed a friend's camera for another project I thought I might share my little cubbie hole with you all.

It is 8' wide and 15' long and was once the enclosed front porch to the house I live in.  The wall separating the porch from the living room has long been removed, which makes for a much more airy atmosphere.

1st we have the are where I do all of my saw work.  It is an old drawing desk that I re-enforced for stability.

Right next to that is a table that I use as a collect all.  I did clean it off a bit before I took this shot.

As we pass the door to the outside I have my soldering bench set up on the other side.  This is a view from the living room doorway.

This frontal view is from inside the living room overlooking the computer screen.

Continuing clock-wise I have an old cedar chest set on its side for holding a variety of tools, books, stones, gallery bezels, findings drawer chest and whatever else gets put in and on it.  This also used for packing all my silversmithing toys and related items when I move.  It all fits inside, except of course, my buffer and lapidary machinery.

And finally, we have my computer desk area backed up to the VHS/DVD racks in the living room.  This is the area where I do most of my hand design work and computer graphics - along with reading and posting on this forum...............I had to step out the front door to get this shot. 

It's a quaint little area with pretty much everything within reach no matter which side of the room I'm working in.

Also, there was a thread somewhere that was asking how pliers were set up for ease of access.  Over the years I have collected several pairs of pliers for doing different things - even same design pliers that do things a little different than others things.  This is what I have done.

On the left side of my solder bench I attached a scrap piece of stainless to the upright that holds the top shelf.  I hang all my pliers and clippers here for easy access.

It works pretty well.....................

Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Social Buttons

MrsWTownsend
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 01:51:59 pm »

Cool cubby hole!

Can't help but notice the awesome flying skull and that GREAT forum you have up on your computer (amongst other things...)!
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:25:57 pm »

Very cool cubby hole indeed !  yes

Thanks for showing us Steve  yes
Report Spam   Logged
Charlotte
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:42:38 pm »

Great cubby, everything right there where you need it.  And it is so organized.
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:20:27 pm »

Looks like a true artist's  house, lots of interesting things to look at and eclectic feel.
I love it:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
rockie road
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 04:41:31 pm »

Looks like a very handy and workable space. I think the Santa hat is a wonderful decorative touch.javascript:void(0);

Grace
Report Spam   Logged
azsavit
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 04:47:21 pm »

Great workspace! I like how you put plants in there too to give a living vibe. Sometimes working with rocks and minerals makes me feel a bit... um... inorganic.
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 05:44:22 pm »

You've got it all in one place, an organized, disorganization.
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

thewrightthings
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 06:14:28 pm »

Nice area to work.  Is the flying skeleton for inspiration?
Report Spam   Logged
Steve

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 07:07:24 pm »

Wow........I tried to add several of the response quotes from the posting but it didn't work.....soooooooo here we go....

Thankx all.............it is a wonderful place to create my magic.........I can't say it's the best one that I've had, but it's right up there.  The best thing about this place is the natural light.  The saw bench is by the south facing window and the soldering bench is by the north window, both with lace curtians.  The west windows (stripped curtain covered) is wonderful in the afternoons.

Sara - I'm a pack rat of sorts.......however, because I only rent I've learned that I can only collect small things. Thus all the little interesting items laying around.  Actually, I've had people visit with me for the first time and say to me I live in a museum of sorts.

Even though this is a working shop it is an integral part of the house I live in.  It's the first thing you see when you enter my house through the front door.  Many a time I have sat with a friend across at the saw bench and pondered the wonders, and such, of this world we live in.

Dave & Charlotte - Many of the little things around the entire house have been gifts from friends that I seem to be able to just fit in some where comfortable.  Take the Billy Goat for instance - this was a gift from a long time lady friend that, when she gave it to me, told me that when she saw it it just fit me - I am somewhat of an old goat...........that's the dis-organization I'm talking about..............

Paula - Yes, it is inspirational........this was a gift from a friend that attended a "Day of the Dead" celebration in Mexico and brought it back for me.  This is celebration for all that have passed before us and also for those that are living today.  Quite appropriate, I think, for someone creating "magic" in silver and, stone and silver.

Arron - Gotta have plants around the house..........I can't be the only one that's living here.  They take care of me and I take care of them...................

Anyway I think I've babbled long enough for now..............again thankx all for your appreciation of a part of my world....

Steve

P.S.  If you want photos of the "interesting things" I can get those.....I've still got the camera...........
Report Spam   Logged

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

zarguy
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 10:51:15 am »

Steve,

I see you even have Zappa to help you freak out!

Lynn
Report Spam   Logged
Steve

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 12:52:47 pm »

Love Zappa............been listening to him since '66...............and I've only got 13 of his 60+ creations...............  hide
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: