Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 25, 2017, 12:56:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

2012 American Agate/Jasper Database (rev. January 1st, 2013))

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 American Agate/Jasper Database (rev. January 1st, 2013))  (Read 4833 times)
elementary
« on: September 15, 2010, 01:11:38 am »

(Trial cover for first volume...revised later)

(Modified July 9th, 2012 - Resetting links and new release: California)

The 3rd 2012 Agate Index is ready!  California is over 270 pages long with hundreds of colorful photographs provided by a couple dozen collectors and dealers.  I have also reset all previous 2012 volumes with download links.  I do not plan on taking time to do any of the 2010 volumes again, though the files still exist.  All will be replaced in the next couple months with updated 2012 volumes.

2012 Vol 3 - California   (110 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?9up5qxv0of3rl89
2012 Vol 2 - Northwest (80 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?12m6sn69h2t08ik
2012 Vol 2 - Southwest (56 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?odzmygviwc8i4ry

Here are the links to the "Artists in Agate" Portfolios I've created.
They show the best of the best from people on this site:
Steve Haynes - Lakers (7 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?aa6g0va3a2akj6e
Dan Heuer - The Lapidary Alphabet (15 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?urxhkguex6z9czd
Dan Heuer - Rare Earths (8 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?2ops91rwrasrkcl
Bob Rush - Brazilians (15 MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?si5h5ck842las0y

Presently I plan on having all these files on two or three platforms for download. 
1)  4shared.com -- this website has not been infected with a virus and has been reliable since the beginning of this project.  The downside is you need to create an account (tho extremely easy) and the download times are fairly slow.  The upside is that you will be able to access all the files I've created once you join.   
2)  MediaFire (yes the same mediafire that had the virus problem over the summer)  Presently there does not seem to be any virus issues with the site, and it doesn't require a membership.  It also has faster download times.  Mel used this source to download his copy for editing purposes. 
3)  The last method is by mail.  I will be putting together a list of people who would like to receive a copy in the mail.  That person would copy files from the disc or stick and then send it on to the next person on the list.  The disc would contain all the files created up until now.

OVERVIEW:
This project started in February 2010 and since then, with the help of many many people, we've been able to put together a first edition of 11 databases for material across the country that collectively have been downloaded over 3000 times.  We are now putting together a more comprehensive 2nd edition.

Please note:  These indexes can be shared with friends and clubs for free.  There is no cost to pass along these download links to other people who may not know about them. 

The American Agate/Jasper Index is designed to be a database of material found in North America. The main goal of this collection is to aid people with identification of specimens as well act as a visual guide to quartz gem materials. Each index will focus on a different region. These are designed to be downloaded for free and are created from photo submissions by rockhounds across North America. Updates will occur periodically as new material is submitted here and via email. (PLEASE submit new material!!!!)

To download a file, click on the desired link, then hit the download button.  The PDF file will load at that point.

THE OLDER VOLUMES ARE STILL AVAILABLE, BUT WILL BECOME OBSOLETE WHEN THE NEW 2012 INDEXES ARE COMPLETED.  THE 2010 VOLUMES ARE PRIMITIVE IN COMPARISON.
FOR NOW I WILL LEAVE THEM UP FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN SEEING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE OLD VOLUMES AND THE NEW.

The Artists in Agate series is listed at the bottom of this message.

We hope you find these files interesting and helpful.
Thank you to everyone who has contributed and commented and downloaded these files.  They are for you.

Lowell and Mel
___
Artists of Agate Portfolios
There is so much great material being put on this site and only so much the Agate/Jasper Database is able to publish; I thought there ought to be a way of gathering together the images of individuals for downloading. I approached three individuals - NorthShoreRocks(Steve Haynes), Bobby1 (Bob Rush), and HighPlainsDrifter (Dan Heuer) about doing portfolios of their work. All three gave me permission to pursue this new project (which actually is less work than the index...)
All three of these people have both wonderful material and excellent photography skills. I hope you enjoy looking at their work. Please tell them what you think.
The downloading is the same as the index -
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:14:05 am »

Good stuff Lowell...  yes

Thank you..
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 06:21:09 am »

LOwell:) Thank you so much:) I had heard you were in the making of this database but had never seen the results as yet.
I didnt have time to look at all the pictures but I did get to see the ones from the south.
I love that Tampa Bay Coral. I noticed JC shared a lot of his stock too.
What an undertaking but the pictures are fantastic and so are the rocks.
Wonderful project:) Thank you again Lowell:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:23:26 am »

Lowell, WOW! A lot of work and thought put into this, thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

thewrightthings
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:45:54 am »

What a great resource, thank you.
Report Spam   Logged
MrsWTownsend
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 03:03:33 pm »

This is very cool~ thank for sharing!
Report Spam   Logged
39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 06:52:08 pm »

Lowell, WOW and it's free. I haven't read all volumes as yet but I just downloaded all but vol 8 which I'm having a problem with. Your creation is a tremendous research help to all rockhounds and cutters for US material.
I can't begin to thank you enough.
Thanks,
Don
Report Spam   Logged

elementary
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 02:28:35 am »

Thanks Don, for the kind words, and thanks for the heads up on Vol. 8.  I'll pull the link and see why the file isn't coming up.  If the file is bad, I'll reload it and replace the link.  It should be back up by the end of Monday.

FYI, I'm in the middle of editing Vol 10 - California.

I'm also putting together a collecting guide for the Wiley Well collecting area in Southern California.  This is the area around the Hauser Geode beds.  It won't be a 'dig here' guide, but it will have rough maps and color photos of both the locations and what is found there (for the most part.)  I've gone to my club (Ventura Gem and Mineral Society) and have people providing additional material for places in the region I have not had the opportunity to visit.  I hope people enjoy it.  I'm hoping to have that out by the end of the month, if not sooner.

Thanks all!

Lowell
Report Spam   Logged
Alvin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 06:01:45 pm »

great stuff, but as a book collector, I sure hope there is some book that comes out of all that work.
Report Spam   Logged

elementary
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 12:41:52 am »

Link 8 Fixed.

Alvin,  I have no plan on turning these collections into books, though I'll print and bind a set eventually for myself - once they are updated a couple more times.

This project was designed to bypass the limitations of physically bound books.  Editions are tied to page counts, cost, or printing hassles.  In addition, I have only received permission to run these photos on a free basis (which is the way I requested them.)  If I printed a book, I would have to go to each contributor and restate the conditions for the photos uses.

Still - it would make a gorgeous book.

Lowell
Report Spam   Logged
39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 08:13:47 am »

Thanks Lowell,

I just completed downloading Vol 8: New Mexico and Nevada.

Super nice photos of some mighty nice material.

Now we have an instant research tool with all the volumes, THANKS.

Don

Report Spam   Logged

rarerocksandgems
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 07:10:04 pm »

Thanks Lowell for your hard work and dedication!

For the Idaho section please feel free to use any of my Bruneau or Willow photo's from my web site. Since I don't know which ones you might want just let me know and I'll send them to you.

http://www.rarerocksandgems.com
Philip-
Report Spam   Logged
elementary
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 05:27:21 pm »

Philip,

A huge thank you for letting me use the material for the project.  Your photos are beautiful.

I'll go through and let you know. 

Love your website!  (FYI - tried to hit the link in the posting but it didn't work.  When I went to your profile, that copy worked.)

Lowell

Report Spam   Logged
elementary
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 03:25:07 pm »

New Additions:

Dan Heuer's 2 Artists of Agates Portfolios:
Rare Earths
and
The Lapidary Alphabet

American Agate and Jasper Index:  California
Vol. A - Agates
Vol. B - Jaspers
Report Spam   Logged
ElectricMonk
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 07:39:55 pm »

Thanks so much for your efforts! From someone who spent a couple of years compiling data from across the web for others to utilize a big hats off! Must say you chose a better endeavor than myself :)

Thanks from a newly minted family of rockhounds!
Report Spam   Logged
helens
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 01:47:36 am »

Wow! Thank you so very much, for compiling this, and the authors for writing/contributing to them! I hope it starts a new love and appreciation of US rocks from both potential customers and new enthuiasiasts!! It's sure getting me hooked, and I didn't even like agates before seeing these...
Report Spam   Logged
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 08:42:40 am »

Wow... what does one say!? That's soooo awesome!  yes
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

HH5
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 12:14:29 pm »

Thanks for making this great resource available.
This is amazing work.

Harold
Report Spam   Logged
elementary
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 12:39:38 pm »

Thank you all for the kind words and great support.  It shows that this project is valued and gives me energy to revise and expand it.   And please - if you see something missing that you can photograph and share, do so and let me know.  This project is definitely a case of the more, the merrier!

Lowell
Report Spam   Logged
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 11:07:38 pm »

Lowell, have you considered adding maps to the page layouts or anything? I love what you've done - it's invaluable and to be commended - especially considering your gift of the time and effort it took. I am personally very very grateful for this!

But you know how it is - give us an inch...  chuckle  And to see something this cool always inspires the mind to dream it stepped up a notch (I suppose that's a good thing or we'd all be happy just sitting watching tv all day and night - blah).

Anyway, maps would be on my wish list of something that would take it up a notch for me. I love those little books you used to be able to buy (maybe still can, I don't know) like a guide to spiders I have - each section shows a tiny map (it's a very simple line drawn map with a few major landmarks named, or the island's name - just something to give perspective) with areas grayed in where the specific spider(s) in question is native.

You can bet if I find anything relevant in my collection or something I've bought who's providence I'm sure of I will photograph it and gladly donate it to you with all rights transferred to the project.

Best to you!
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 10:10:17 pm »

Lowell,
I think I read somewhere that you are working on a Thunderegg volume.
I have this very interesting one with double chambers but they are quite different from each other even though they are definitely connected. I don't recall where it is  from but it is a common location. Maybe the Thunderegg wizards can come up with a location.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

elementary
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 07:27:06 pm »

Bobby,

Thanks for the Dugway! 

Frank,

Thanks for the comments.
Maps get into a sticky situation. 

1)  I don't have permission from anybody to use their maps or modify them.  Filling those out would take a huge amount of research beyond my current task.  Presently, it's relatively easy (though time consuming) to pull images from various websites, but I would need to rely on locals to shade the locations of maps I currently don't have.
2)  The guide is more of a identification guide than a field guide.  The initial goal of this project was to create a visual guide for IDing material - not provide a roadmap/hunting guide for collectors.  Would that be wonderful?  Heck, yes, but it is way beyond my means.     You might want to try Cy Johnson's Gem Atlas's.  They actually provide a wealth of general hunting locations - but no real directions.
3) My goal for the next incarnation is to add photos of the dig sites/landmarks. 
(Oh - next update is 2 years from now - how's that for a time-line ---I have a history of my club to work on next --3,000 pages of documents including 90% of our monthly newsletters dating back to 1959, our original handwritten meeting notes from the initial meeting in 1944 to the 1950's, huge amounts of letters, documents, and two boxes of slides to convert to digital that show fieldtrips from the 1940's through the 1960's.  One of our members was extremely active field-tripper for several decades and took piles of incredible photos.  I am adding advertising images from lapidary magazines from those times as well as quoting prices from the personal ads from the back of the magazines.  I envision this history of our club to act also as a limited snapshot of the history of rockhunting in So Cal - with the mentioning of location closures, government activity, innovations, and the formation of the CFMS and AFMS.  whew--- Just a little project....)
4)  AND - if my plate isn't big enough - I am in the middle of putting together a Field Guide to the Hauser Geode Beds.  I haven't had a chance to work on it beyond a general outline.  Ideally, I'd love to do small field guides to So Cal locations that I know - color photos of both material and location landmarks.  Alas, there's only so much time.

Thanks as always,

Lowell
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18:56 pm »

AH HAH!.......Dugway!!!!!
Thanks for the ID
It looks like your are going to be in research mode for quite a while!
Have fun!
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

elementary
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 10:27:22 pm »

Currently the file sharing system I use requires people to create an account to download the file.  This is not my intention for these files.  I want them to be accessed freely without requirements.  I am researching what is going on to see if I have a setting off (but the other files are still without this requirement).  I will update when I figure out what is going on.

bricks

Lowell
Report Spam   Logged
elementary
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 07:18:31 pm »

The previously mentioned problem with the 2012 Agate/Jasper Index File for the Southwest has been removed.

Please download if interested and let me know if any other problems arise with the system.

Thanks for your patience,

Lowell
Report Spam   Logged
spirit bear beads
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 02:44:58 am »

The site still says...

You should Sign Up or Login to download this file

but doesn't give you the option to download the file if you don't.
Report Spam   Logged
39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 07:10:15 am »

The site still says...

You should Sign Up or Login to download this file

but doesn't give you the option to download the file if you don't.

Same here..........

Don
Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 09:28:46 am »

Ditto
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

elementary
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 09:15:47 pm »

KAAAAAA---------RAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Okay.  Frustration reset in. 

I sent the 4shared website another email.

I do not know why the site has changed.  For two years I have been using it without limitations or hindrances.

I do know they have recently revamped their site.  I am wondering if they have changed some criteria in the meantime.

I will also go through my profile again on the site and see if somehow I tagged an option that I shouldn't have.

I appreciate your patience with this matter. 

This is the pain of trying to keep this project cost free.....which is the only way I will do this project.  Free use and free distribution.
I may have to change my file sharing site if I can't rectify this.

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Grrr.

Lowell
Report Spam   Logged
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 11:47:45 pm »

Hang in there Lowell, you're doing a fantastic job - one worth waiting for! yes
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

elementary
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 09:38:06 pm »

Updated the main message with the new download requirements.

Am looking at RapidShare.com as a possible resource, but am not happy with the download times (20 minutes for the newest Index) and the system seems not to be as intuitive.  Am still working with it.

Lowell
Report Spam   Logged
Stacy
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 02:06:45 pm »

just down loaded these fantastic volumes. yeah the registration part is a PITA, but a small one. the fast, fast down load was awesome even with the 20 second wait to download. i dont need no premium account!

thanks So much for this database/art!

stacy
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 11:35:07 pm »

Lowell,
For your Thunder Egg list here is a large cab of Black Rock Desert Thunder Egg with Plumes.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

prairiedog41

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 07:42:30 pm »

Lowell, for what little bother the sign up on 4Shared is, it is a lot better downloading there than it is on Rapid Share. !!  The problem may have come from the copyright suit(s) that have been going on against some of the file sharing sites.

Just my thoughts and I very BIG Thank you for doing this project!!

-=Will=-
Report Spam   Logged
elementary
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2012, 12:16:09 am »

All files revised to new file sharing service for ease of downloading.

Lowell
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 09:44:15 am »

Thank you Lowell, you rock and roll:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 03:36:09 pm »

Thanks Lowell...........
Report Spam   Logged

elementary
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 10:09:15 am »

2012 Agate Index: Vol 2 - Northwest Added
Report Spam   Logged
39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 06:55:19 pm »

2012 Agate Index: Vol 2 - Northwest Added

Thanks Lowell................ hatsoff                      hatsoff

Don
Report Spam   Logged

elementary
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2012, 10:56:44 am »

Concern regarding possible virus in files has been raised.  Until I resolve this issue, I'm removing the links.
Report Spam   Logged
elementary
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2012, 01:13:56 pm »

This is info for those unsure about possible virus and what to do:

I got the following from a different rockhounding forum: "OK, for those that feel comfortable with file management. Here is where the nasty file is located for Windows 7 users. "C:\users\your user name\AppData\Local\unzziz.exe". Just delete it after you run a virus scan."

Thank you
Report Spam   Logged
39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2012, 01:53:35 pm »

This is info for those unsure about possible virus and what to do:

I got the following from a different rockhounding forum: "OK, for those that feel comfortable with file management. Here is where the nasty file is located for Windows 7 users. "C:\users\your user name\AppData\Local\unzziz.exe". Just delete it after you run a virus scan."

Thank you

Lowell,
My virus scans possibly could have already deleted the above virus as I have searched and can not find the virus in my system. Is this possible?
Thanks,
Don
Report Spam   Logged

vitzitziltecpatl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2012, 07:07:09 pm »

Search through Trend Micro and Symantec databases doesn't turn up any info related to unzziz.exe as a threat. I'm stumped. Even did a search for Wiindows 7 unzziz.exe - also with no results returned. Could this have been a false positive?

I expected unzziz.exe to show up as a Win7 system file. Some clowns post things like this to cause trouble for people who might delete a system file just on the basis of single post they might read online. But I didn't find any reference to unzziz.exe anywhere.
Report Spam   Logged

39don

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2012, 07:39:52 pm »

Search through Trend Micro and Symantec databases doesn't turn up any info related to unzziz.exe as a threat. I'm stumped. Even did a search for Wiindows 7 unzziz.exe - also with no results returned. Could this have been a false positive?

I expected unzziz.exe to show up as a Win7 system file. Some clowns post things like this to cause trouble for people who might delete a system file just on the basis of single post they might read online. But I didn't find any reference to unzziz.exe anywhere.

I did the same again as Vince with my windows 7 and still don't find anything..........

Don
Report Spam   Logged

finegemdesigns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 02:43:40 pm »

Really good stuff thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

finegemdesigns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2013, 09:54:17 pm »

I have the Guides also on my website in case other locations become unavailable.

http://www.finegemdesigns.com/americanagateguides.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: