Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 24, 2017, 10:39:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Be it ever so humble...

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Be it ever so humble...  (Read 708 times)
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2010, 06:38:30 pm »

And cluttered.... bricks

My workspace, which is divided into two parts - my beading/leatherwork/jewelry area, and then my painting area.

Note the rafters, the furnace, the hot water heater, sump pump and dehumidifier.  It's the Basement, affectionately known as "Bielski's Arachnid Farm."  The pictures don't show the bead caddies under and around my work area.  There's a lot more than what's on top of the table....

The last picture of my painting area shows the fact I haven't painted in ages and it's become a table of stuff that I can't have laying on the floor - leather scraps, ceramic pieces to be painted etc - it's a mess.  A project for another day off.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 08:24:07 pm »

I don't believe it......I just lost everything I was writing because I hit the wrong button.........let me try and remember ....... DOH.........

Yes, my Dear it is ever so humble...........I wish I had a camera to show you my wondrous work area. 

I live in a one-bedroom old style "Mother-in-Laws" type house.  Way before I got here the living room wall was removed to include the front porch as part of the house, it is an enclosed stucco porch.  It measures 8'x12'. 

This little area iencompasses all of my inside working area.  It includes a bench where I dream and burn silver/brass/copper; an old drawing board desk where I do my saw work (I had to reinforce it to handle the sawing motion), a 2'x4' table that does nothing but collect junk, an old 34"x16.5"x15" ceder chest supported by  old milk crates that holds a bunch of tools and a 3'x6' folding table, raised on 9" PVC pipe to bring it up to working height.  This table, and underneath, holds all my computer equipment, to include an old '99 Toshiba lap top that has AutoCAD on it, where I also do some of my dreaming, designing, art, writing, eating, drinking (and not only beer) and visiting my favorite web sites like this one.

I have an old bar stool for my saw bench and an old doctor's 4 roller stool between the burn bench and the computer bench.  Every now and then I have to get up and adjust the height of the seat, because like all old dogs we do get wound up around the tree.

Phish is cranking right now playing "I've got a blank space where my mind should be".  Gotta love it.

Well anyway, this is the most constructive and enjoyable space that I have ever had to do the magic I do.  And it's all within reach or a single stumble.  Now, however, my silver polishing arbor is on my back porch.  That's really dirty work so I do it outside - year-round.  And my little portable 'Rock Rascal' is out in the front yard, where I will be doing that year-round.  Refer to: Lapidary Shop  / Share Our Shop And Or Work Area Pics  / Re: Finally............

However, my point is..........all we need is the space to make our magic happen - be it large or small - and from what I've see you are doing some really great magic.................
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

thewrightthings
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 08:33:47 pm »

Amanda, everyone starts somewhere, and Steve's comments are right on.  It's a matter of motivation and creativity, not the space.  I have a big studio, but if I don't have the motivation to get my butt out there, it doesn't matter.  You produce much beauty in your small space and that's all that counts.
Report Spam   Logged
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:06:53 pm »

Thank you!  I wasn't really commenting on the size.  I'm just happy to have a space to work in.  Up until a couple years ago I had to do everything either at my computer desk in my room or on the diningroom table, which meant I would have to pack it all up at every meal.  Then I begged and pleaded and got the area between some built in shelving and the Furnace.  Life is good.  You can make out a space heater under the table in the one picture - that's for winter when it rarely breaks 50 degrees down there! With that running I can at least function and my arthritic body can move and work. (Yes at 34 I do have arthritis - I didn't ask for it either.)
Report Spam   Logged

Andere
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 09:49:00 pm »

It's a lovely little niche :) I'm still in the 'computer desk and bathroom counter' phase of space. You'd think that with a full basement there'd be a few square feet empty but no...
Report Spam   Logged
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 10:08:23 pm »

It's a lovely little niche :) I'm still in the 'computer desk and bathroom counter' phase of space. You'd think that with a full basement there'd be a few square feet empty but no...

saved4
I hate to think of what stuff my Parents will finally have to go through and actually consider selling when my sister moves in and wants the back room area of the basement as her workshop - she works construction and she has more powertools than Tim the Tool Man!
Report Spam   Logged

Andere
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 11:14:35 pm »

saved4
I hate to think of what stuff my Parents will finally have to go through and actually consider selling when my sister moves in and wants the back room area of the basement as her workshop - she works construction and she has more powertools than Tim the Tool Man!

Haha, yeah, ours is power tools too. My dad works general construction and HVAC, so the basement is 30+ years worth of spare parts, pipes, wire, tools, wood, etc.

I like your system of organization with the clear plastic storage. I need to invest in a few more of those- would save a lot of time on the "wait, is that rock/wrench/ring in this box or that one?"
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 12:23:13 am »

So Amanda, you do some leather work huh?
May I pick your brain?
I'll take that as a yes.  My question.. Do you have or does anyone make, any punches that you would strike with a
hammer that are shaped like a hexegon?  They would need to be quite large like maybe 1 1/2" across.

Thanks for your time ..  TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 04:58:23 am »

Andere:  I got most of my clear storage at Walmart.  While I detest shopping at the place, it's one of the few places I can find decent plastic storage.

TOG: Tandy Leather Company.  If not them try Montana Leather company.  I've ordered from both, both have outstanding service.  I don't use punches, but I know Tandy carries an extensive number of them in various shapes.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

http://www.montanaleather.com/catalog/
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:18:03 am »

Andere:  I got most of my clear storage at Walmart.  While I detest shopping at the place, it's one of the few places I can find decent plastic storage.

TOG: Tandy Leather Company.  If not them try Montana Leather company.  I've ordered from both, both have outstanding service.  I don't use punches, but I know Tandy carries an extensive number of them in various shapes.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

http://www.montanaleather.com/catalog/

Thanks Amanda, I'm on it.

We do not use the W word around this household.  If ever we absolutely must use wallyworld we wear a disguise(sp) so noone will recognize us.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 12:13:28 pm »

Talk about spiders.  I work in a spider filled cave, well its very close to one.  Our 150 year old house has a stone foundation, which means all shapes and sizes of stones were piled one on another and the gaps filled with plaster or something like that.  Surprisingly, the house above is very level, they knew what they were doing back then.  The ceiling, what i can see of it through the spiderwebs, has an odd assortment of whatever they could find to support the floor above.  There are beams with 4 sides cleanly planed and then there are logs with one side planed and the bark on the other 3.  I am amazed at what they could do and what they chose to do.  Each year i figure the spiders will die off, but each year it gets worse.  Now figure that the basement is pitch black all the time except for a few house a week i work down there.  Why the heck, would anything want to live down there and expect to find food.  What flies around in the dark around the ceiling.  NOTHING!  But they still build webs all over the ceiling.  I have decided that the only food source other than me, is other spiders.  The spiders must live to eat other spiders.  They are a self sustaining spider ecosystem.  Next year, i may fumigate them out.  They sometimes figure out how to get upstairs and my wife is not a fan of spiders.  She used to scream for help and not be able to walk down the hallway if there was on in the hallway.  She would stand at one end and throw things at them until she either got them or ran out of things to throw.  I will just whack them with whatever, including my hand if that's all there is.  My kids used to be afraid of all the crawlies including insects, probably because of the wife.  She finally got better about it, and through my love of insects, the kids are now into bugs.  They love to catch and raise them.  I am so happy they are not spiderphobic anymore.  The problem is now that my sensitive 12 year old, can't stand to have anything hurt.  He wants to move the spiders outside, well, that's a nice thought and even though they are great at keeping bad insects in check, I will still stomp them in the house where there is no need for them.  I find that if i go more than a few days without moving things in my work area, they start to encroach and i have to fight them off.  Spiders, got em by the millions.
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 04:24:21 pm »

Mark - I hear you!
Mom keeps the spiders in check with the vacuum.  She will head down there with the shop vac and clean up every cobweb and nook and crannie.  She tries to do it twice a year.  At this point they have chosen to not fumigate only because they are afraid of the lingering effects of the pesticides - which since I regularly read the warning labels on such things to customers at my full time job, I can understand their hesitations.

Mom came from a farming family and she said the dampness calls the spiders.  I think there is a lot of truth to that because we used to have a lot more spiders before they put in the dehumidfier down there.

The only two times spiders have ever freaked me out were A) When I was out picking tomatoes a couple years ago and just about stuck my entire arm into the web of a very large and nasty orb spider, and B) About four years ago I was in my painting area in the basement and I was hunched over the table painting away blocking out everything else.  All at once I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and dangling only inches from my face was a very large black hairy looking spider.  I don't often freak out form an insect and run like hell upstairs.  I did that day.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 04:39:05 pm »

I use the  shop vac trick too, but i wonder if they then create a small spider world inside the shop vac because it doesn't get emptied very often.  After my eye incident a week or so ago, i now have a lot more floaters in my left eye.  Every now and then i will see a really dark one at the periphery of my vision, and it looks just like a fly or a spider hanging on a web from my hair.  I swat at it a few times and realize its not there.  Can't wait for the eye to go back to normal.  I figure the spiders should all be dead in another few weeks.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 02:04:49 pm »

Ours don't even die in the winter Mark.  They're still there!   
Report Spam   Logged

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 02:23:32 pm »

I thought I would be smart and give the hose a shot of ether(with the motor running) to kill the spyders hanging out in the vacuam.....luckily I reviewed what I was going to do and thought better of it.  Old motors tend to have sparks flying around the brushes....sparks..ether..dust.. = BOOM.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 03:29:30 pm »

I thought only Doctors and certain schools could get a hold of Ether?   Granted you could be a doctor and I don't know it!   yes

When we are done vacuuming we simply take the vacuum outside and empty it in the compost area in the swamp that is for brush and general dirt.  The compost for gardens and where we put vegetable kitchen waste is in another area of the yard.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 03:55:44 pm »

Not really.......anyone can go to an auto parts store and buy 'starting fluid'.  I believe it is made up ether and some minor lubricants.

At least that's what I've been told is the prime ingredient.......
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: