Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 24, 2017, 10:52:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Finally............

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally............  (Read 1144 times)
Steve

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:48:03 pm »

Yes-Sir-Re-Bob, after procrastinating for about 2-1/2 years, or so, I finally have finished assembly of my portable saw/expandable set up. 

All I needed was a frame to put it on.....so......one evening as I was enjoying a few Miller High Lifes on my patio I looked over at a defunct BBQ grill that's been sitting around since early spring when it was replaced and SAW it, not as a BBQ, but, as a frame for the simple lapidary set up I bought to replace the trashed one of the same design - trashed about 4~5 years ago.

Taking the BBQ stuff off, leaving he basis frame and then reinforcing it with 2x4's and 3/4" marine plywood for the top I started to finally assemble my simple portable lapidary station.  Water Sealing  was the first thing to do then add the machinery on top and wal-la it finally came together.  This was all done outside on my patio over 2-day period with temps here in Albuquerque cruising around 97~99 degrees - sweat it out why don't I.......!

As some of you have probably figured out, I am primarily a silversmith that started out doing commercial lapidary.  I've never lost the 'energy' that I get when cutting and polishing stones.  Now I'm back!

Even though it is just a simple set up I can still do - and have done - stones to the very hard side of some agates. 

I don't have a digital camera to photograph the unit - I'm still on celluloid - but I'll try to borrow one for future shots.  Below is a catalog shot of the unit I have.  The only difference is that instead of the 100 grit wheel, I've replaced it with a 6" expandable drum.

I've used my defunct one for several-several years and I loved it - simple and compact.  The only thing I need to add is the flat lap disc that attaches to the end of the drum shaft.  I had one but over the years it's decided to move else where.

What can I say.....it took me far too long.................but.........

I"M BACK.........................photos and design explanation to follow - pending camera, of course................
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Social Buttons

rocknroll

Jon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 08:18:35 pm »

Nice!   Welcome back!!
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 08:24:28 pm »

Nice to have you back in the swing of cabbing!  ura
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 08:27:46 pm »

Yes Sir Re Bob Tail:)
Isnt it fun to have an epiphany:) I havent any epips in ages but hope springs eternal.

Looking forward to seeing what you whip up on that rascally rascal:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Bluesssman
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 09:18:58 pm »

Old BBQ units are great for projects. I converted one into my shop bar with four taps...

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
thewrightthings
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 09:32:22 pm »

Where does the water come from and go to on that rock rascal?
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 10:25:38 pm »

Most excellent Steve !  yes

I too will be watching for your cabs !
Report Spam   Logged
christopherl1234

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 12:10:36 am »

can hardly wait to see what you make.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 11:25:21 am »

Alright, I've got a camera - borrowed my friends Cannon 35mm.

1st shot is of the front of the unit.  All electrics come in from an outside outlet and an extension cord thru the on/off switch on the lower right side

2nd shot of the rear of the unit.  The on/off switch provides power to the quad outlet that provides power to the motor and water pump and a light if I need one.

To answer the water question -  A brand-spankin'-new 5 gal bucket from Home Depot holds the water.  I use a swamp cooler water pump to provide the water up to the top of the drum housing thru a 1/2" plastic hose reduced to 1/4" to plug into the 1/4" brass shut twist valve controls the flow.

The water is returned to the bucket thru a hole in the cookie sheet and table top via a 1/2" return hose.

The motor is set up on a hinge set-up so that the weight of the motor maintains tension on the 'V' belt drive.

Since I have no garage to set up something permanent or to work in, I worked out this portable unit so I can cut and polish outside and store the unit in my shed.  In the winter I can bring it into my kitchen to work and then back to storage.

I won't be cutting or polishing for a few more days - I have a silver order to complete.  But, I have a piece of that African 'chocolate' opal that I've bee dieing to get into.............and then a whole bunch of other stuff.

Oh yea......that's my baby in the back ground in the 1st photo - 1982 Honda Silver Wing and of course my little faded red wagon too.............

Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 12:44:47 pm »

Perfect !

If you dropped that cabbing rest down to the other bolt hole you may find it more usable for working the perimeters of your cabs.

Just a thought..  walker
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 03:48:39 pm »

Way to go Steve.  You inspired me.  I am heading to Home Depot now to get some tubing for the water feed on my cabber and see if I can get it up an running.  The saw part works but I need to get water to the wheels.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
catmandewe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 04:27:29 pm »

Nice set up.
If you suspend a coffee can at the end of your drip hose, it will catch most of the sludge out of your drain water and when it fills up it will overflow into the big bucket, kind of like a pre filter. Just occasionally take the coffee can out and clean it out. Saves some wear and tear on your pump and filter.

Looking forward to seeing what you work with it.

Tony
Report Spam   Logged

Get free shipping and/or discounts on products at Cabking by using the following link.
http://cabking.com/ref/IdahoRockShop/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: