google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Sandsave is the winner for our October cab contest with this beautiful Banded Opal cab

Michael Hoover shared one of his most favored stones, this Vulture Mountain Shattuckite from the Rodney Frisby claim.. Shown here on a buck 110 ..

photo michael1_zpsd11cf97c.png

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 27, 2014, 05:57:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Blue Mojave Turquoise

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Mojave Turquoise  (Read 1346 times)
Steel and Stone
« on: June 05, 2010, 12:23:15 pm »

Here are two cabs I just finished from some new material I traded boulder opal for. Now I have to go slab up some of the purple. This stuff cabs like a dream and takes a great polish.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 04:41:20 am by Steel and Stone » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 02:14:08 pm »

REally sharp, interesting looking cabs.
Lets see if when you have made it into a pendant, Phillip, please:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 02:29:36 pm »

Boy, that is sure pretty !
Report Spam   Logged

thewrightthings

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:43:29 pm »

Philip, you tempted me one too many times.  Just ordered some of the blue and some of the purple.  It's just amazing looking.
Report Spam   Logged

Paula (Smiling Heart)
         www.thewrightthings.com

Steel and Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 03:10:53 pm »

Philip, you tempted me one too many times.  Just ordered some of the blue and some of the purple.  It's just amazing looking.

Sorry about that. Where did you order it from?
Report Spam   Logged
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 06:00:24 am »

Gorgeous!  I wish I had a few cabs of this stuff to use in wrapping!   yes
Report Spam   Logged

-Amanda
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/EnchantedRegalia
http://www.pinterest.com/amandabielski/

Coincidence is G-d's way of staying anonymous.  -Rabbi David Abrahams

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever. - Comedian Margaret Cho.

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

We've got a world in which physical miracles are commonplace - and nobody's happy.  We've got what it takes to feed all the billions of us - and half of us are starving.  You can show a dozen guys murdering each other on TV, but you can't ever show two people making love.  A naked blade is rendered less obscene than a naked woman.  Isn't it about time we started trying to get a handle on love, from any and all directions? -Jake (From "Off the Wall at Callahan's" by Spider Robinson.)

A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football!!!  (From an email message I received - so true!)

thewrightthings

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 08:53:59 am »

Sorry about that. Where did you order it from?

Ordered it from Mijo730 Opals and Orchids.
Report Spam   Logged

Paula (Smiling Heart)
         www.thewrightthings.com

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 03:44:50 pm »

I have bought stones from both of those sellers SmilingHeart.
They do a good job of telling you what exactly you are getting and fast shippers and great prices.
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
thewrightthings

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 04:42:30 pm »

I have bought stones from both of those sellers SmilingHeart.
They do a good job of telling you what exactly you are getting and fast shippers and great prices.

Glad to hear that, Sara.  Can't wait to get it.
Report Spam   Logged

Paula (Smiling Heart)
         www.thewrightthings.com

Steel and Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:11:47 pm »

I checked them out and they have some really nice stuff. Darn that stuff is exspensive to buy by the slab. Hope your slabs turns out to be great.
Report Spam   Logged
christopherl1234

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 12:27:51 am »

what is the material in the seams? nice looking material.
Report Spam   Logged

stonesthatrock
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 07:27:45 pm »

mojave turquoise , is not turquoise.... its faux....  Prettty stuff anyway.

mary ann
Report Spam   Logged
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 07:16:38 pm »

Beautiful faux material.   yes  What site did you buy the slabs from?  I'm curious as to the size of slabs available. 
Report Spam   Logged

-Amanda
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/EnchantedRegalia
http://www.pinterest.com/amandabielski/

Coincidence is G-d's way of staying anonymous.  -Rabbi David Abrahams

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever. - Comedian Margaret Cho.

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

We've got a world in which physical miracles are commonplace - and nobody's happy.  We've got what it takes to feed all the billions of us - and half of us are starving.  You can show a dozen guys murdering each other on TV, but you can't ever show two people making love.  A naked blade is rendered less obscene than a naked woman.  Isn't it about time we started trying to get a handle on love, from any and all directions? -Jake (From "Off the Wall at Callahan's" by Spider Robinson.)

A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football!!!  (From an email message I received - so true!)

Steel and Stone
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 11:21:40 pm »

mojave turquoise , is not turquoise.... its faux....  Prettty stuff anyway.

mary ann

From what the gentleman told me and all the info I found, it is real turquoise , low grade of course and it is inpregnated with resins and dye, and somehow the bronze is added to the mix. Then is fromed into a block.

Here is some info straight from thunderbird supplies website.

Many people are surprised to learn that only about 25% of turquoise is usable or desirable in its natural, untreated form. Most untreated turquoise is a fragile, porous stone with a tendency to undergo changes in color when exposed to light, perspiration, oils, and detergents. While turquoise is hard enough to be considered a gemstone, it is comparatively soft. The following are various treatments done to turquoise to keep it from fading or crumbling.

Stabilized
Impregnated with acrylic or epoxy to harden the stone and enhance the color. Stabilized turquoise will not change color over time.
Report Spam   Logged
Steel and Stone
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 11:24:35 pm »

Beautiful faux material.   yes  What site did you buy the slabs from?  I'm curious as to the size of slabs available. 

I traded some boulder opal for it with a gentleman that had some. The seller thewrightthings listed has some nice stuff for sale.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: