Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 23, 2017, 01:24:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

tip cleaning

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tip cleaning  (Read 984 times)
Neural
« on: June 05, 2010, 04:08:03 am »

Anyone have info or links to info on how and when to clean the tips on a Smith Little Torch?
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Michael
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:24:48 am »

if the holes are plugged up you use s torch tip clesner. it is a small blue bow with diffferent gauge wire tip cleaners in it. you get them from your local welding supply house. the big box stores may have them.
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 08:45:49 am »

Be careful when you clean the tips, some have ruby inserts. I found this out when I dropped the torch once and it hit the concrete floot directly on the tip and broke the insert.  I prefer to soak them in a solvent usually denatured alcohol. The holes in the tips  are so small that I doube that there sre brushes small enough to go into the holes. Sometimes when the tip gets sooted up during a soldering operation I just carefully rub the tip on the soldering block and continue soldering.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Bluesssman
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:31:58 pm »

The normal tip cleaners for torches available at welding shops are way too large for the little Smith Torch. I agree with Bobby1 about soaking the tips in a good solvent. Once you do that, raise your oxygen pressure and blow out the tip. Don't forget to reset your O2 regulator, not that I have ever forgotten!!!

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
Isotelus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:06:29 pm »

I have had good luck cleaning the jeweled tips on my smith little torch in the ultrasonic with a good buffing compound remover added to the water. I usually just blow out any left over water after I rinse with oxygen. Seems to handle the soot and dust O.K.
Report Spam   Logged

Bryan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: