Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 24, 2017, 03:08:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Newby questions regarding metalsmithing

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newby questions regarding metalsmithing  (Read 414 times)
Charlotte
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:28:49 pm »

We have fixed up our hobby room and have an area for the metalsmithing.  When I look at your pictures I notice most of you have the area vented.  Is one or all of the vapors dangerous to breathe?  I sure don't want to do any harm.  When I worked on the last pendant the pickle stuff really gave me a headache once it was heated.  Any and all information is appreciated.  Thanks, Charlotte
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

thewrightthings
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 06:46:25 pm »

Charlotte, by all means find a way to get ventilation.  Most vapors are dangerous, and there are enough bad things in this world for you to breathe without creating more of your own! Make sure that what you get is strong enough to vent the fumes properly.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlotte
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:55:56 pm »

Where do you get the vents and is there a special kind to get?  The room is well vented with the heating and air, but I think that would recirculate in house.
Report Spam   Logged
tgood1969
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 07:07:53 pm »

I vent my workspace with an ordinary bathroom vent system.  I have it ducted with flex duct that I simply stick out the window while using.  Works great and pulls the smoke from smithing and the vapor from slabbing straight out of the room.

As far as the pickle goes, I don't heat mine at all.  It works slower but just as well if you leave it at room temperature.  I am slow enough that a few extra minutes in the pot doesn't really matter,  lol.

Just my 2 cents,
Mike
Report Spam   Logged
thewrightthings
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 09:34:33 pm »

Charlotte, I have a vent in the wall behind my solder station it draws quite a bit of air through the wall.  Looks like a built in reverse fan.  Cover it when I'm not using it to keep heat in, in the winter and mosquito's out in the summer.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: