google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Sandsave is the winner for our October cab contest with this beautiful Banded Opal cab

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 27, 2014, 08:57:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

soldering watch parts ?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: soldering watch parts ?  (Read 773 times)
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2010, 06:39:09 am »

Not sure what type of metal the watch parts are I have. Some are either brass or copper too.

I have not checked yet, but imagine there is an actual brass or copper solder.

What kind of metal is the silver colored parts? Like the watch casings and such, and what kind of solder?  Then also, what kind of metal is used for bails that we might want to solder to these.

Looking at some of the casings, been visualizing adding some bezel tape for some stones that I would like to place within some of the recessed areas where gears were.

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 07:08:31 am »

really cool idea:) I am always looking at places to stick a cab too. LOL
This is exciting project for you to invent.
Looking forward to see the results:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Steve

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 10:33:44 am »

Not sure what type of metal the watch parts are I have. Some are either brass or copper too.

I have not checked yet, but imagine there is an actual brass or copper solder.

What kind of metal is the silver colored parts? Like the watch casings and such, and what kind of solder?  Then also, what kind of metal is used for bails that we might want to solder to these.

Looking at some of the casings, been visualizing adding some bezel tape for some stones that I would like to place within some of the recessed areas where gears were.

George - Chances are that the silver colored pieces are made of stainless steel.  Steel or iron wasn't used because of magnetism properties.   The remaining would probably be either brass or bronze.  Copper would be way too soft to put into working parts/components for a mechanical operation.

Silver solder can be easily used on the brass and bronze, but you will have strong color changes in the metals due to the heat required.  For the stainless there are ways to do silver soldering to this but it includes using specific acids and specific solders associated within the electronics industry.  I've done it within that industry and it's not a jewelry quality process.

In referencing my Thunderbird catalog I see that there are two solders that might help:  Stay Brite Low Temp Solder - melts @ 430F (also need Stay Brite Flux);  Flux Tix tube or sticks - melts @ 275F (don't know about flux)

Last you have the good ole soldering  iron and electrical solder.  DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT  USING STERLING IN THIS PROCESS.  Lead and silver DO NOT mix.  

Looking at the pieces you have, it seems to me that they all lend themselves to being set in bezel cups.  And, for setting stones in some of the recessed areas, how about super gluing the bezel cup or even just the stone in place.  I've used this method several times on customer specific requirements.  The glue holds fine, but, I suggest you texture both the area to be set in and the bottom of the cup or stone to give the glue a 'tooth' to grab onto.

In these pieces I used super glue to hold the stone in place.

Be careful not to over glue, as I did on the turquoise.

Hope this helps.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.  These have great potential.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 03:39:59 pm »

Excellent Steve.. !

Thank you ..
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 07:09:30 pm »

Superglue has a low sheer factor and parts adhered with it can come apart if knocked against something.  I know, trust me on this I've done it!

E6000 or some of your 5 minute epoxies should work fine.

I'm guessing George that my foray into steampunk made you finally gather up those old watch parts you said you had to try to do something?  yes
Report Spam   Logged

-Amanda
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/EnchantedRegalia
http://www.pinterest.com/amandabielski/

Coincidence is G-d's way of staying anonymous.  -Rabbi David Abrahams

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever. - Comedian Margaret Cho.

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

We've got a world in which physical miracles are commonplace - and nobody's happy.  We've got what it takes to feed all the billions of us - and half of us are starving.  You can show a dozen guys murdering each other on TV, but you can't ever show two people making love.  A naked blade is rendered less obscene than a naked woman.  Isn't it about time we started trying to get a handle on love, from any and all directions? -Jake (From "Off the Wall at Callahan's" by Spider Robinson.)

A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football!!!  (From an email message I received - so true!)

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 08:12:04 pm »

I'm guessing George that my foray into steampunk made you finally gather up those old watch parts you said you had to try to do something?  yes

Yes it did !

The very first time I discovered Steampunk designs, I fell in love with it. So of course my obsessive, compulsive behavior overtook any knowledge I had about making some. I spent a quick wad of money on some parts and never got any further.. There sure is an art to it. The way parts are intermingled in such a neat way.

I just sorta dislike glueing anything. I have set some stones in step bezel type tape, but thats it.

So would much rather figure out how to solder these small parts together, plus bail, and bezel tape to the main piece/casings.

Again.., I picked out some of the better looking casings, and placed them on the bench where I can day dream about the possibilities during my midnight cabbing !
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 06:09:54 pm »

George maybe you need to measure the size of some of the openings in the watch bases and cab something to fit the spots? 
Report Spam   Logged

-Amanda

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever. - Comedian Margaret Cho.

The Federal Government has sponsored research that has produced a tomato that is perfect in every respect, except that you can't eat it.  We should make every effort to make sure this disease, often referred to as "progress," doesn't spread.  -Andy Rooney

We've got a world in which physical miracles are commonplace - and nobody's happy.  We've got what it takes to feed all the billions of us - and half of us are starving.  You can show a dozen guys murdering each other on TV, but you can't ever show two people making love.  A naked blade is rendered less obscene than a naked woman.  Isn't it about time we started trying to get a handle on love, from any and all directions? -Jake (From "Off the Wall at Callahan's" by Spider Robinson.)

A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football!!!  (From an email message I received - so true!)

mirkaba

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 06:12:31 pm »

Where are all the gears??? Looks like some Steam Punker robbed the good parts!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Gathering dust in Montana.
Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 06:59:25 pm »

Where are all the gears??? Looks like some Steam Punker robbed the good parts!!!

I've got them!  Muhuhhahaha!   hide
Report Spam   Logged

-Amanda

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 07:39:41 pm »

George maybe you need to measure the size of some of the openings in the watch bases and cab something to fit the spots? 

That is the plan, but was kinda hoping could solder bezel tape around those areas too. Rather than the glue options.
Report Spam   Logged

Bentiron

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 05:48:47 pm »

I was just looking about in the  metal working section here and thought about this. If you don't want to heat these up I suggest that you use cold connections, rivets come to my mind first off. If you notice most of the areas where you would want to place a stone have a hole in them where a gear was. If you make up a bezel with a backplate and solder a stud on the back at this location you can then peen that stud over as a  rivet to hold the bezel in place. Drill the hole out to a larger size to accomodate a good sized rivet. You can put a glue behind it to prevent rattling. or maybe place two rivets on the back of the bezel. In some of the older watches the white metal was a nickle silver alloy. I think that soldering would ruin some of the engine turning on them. Stainless steel is not a metal that was used on old pocket watches.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 06:16:24 pm »

Wow.........Long time since I've seen this thread........I agree riveting might be the answer to your needs,  and the nickle silver things makes a lot of sense....probably heavy on the nickle side because it was way harder than silver.

Hey George.....have you progressed on this project yet?
Report Spam   Logged

Steve.............The Silver Fox

My Photo Bucket site:  http://s743.photobucket.com/user/sferenz/library/?sort=3&page=1

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 08:54:18 pm »

Wow.........Long time since I've seen this thread........I agree riveting might be the answer to your needs,  and the nickle silver things makes a lot of sense....probably heavy on the nickle side because it was way harder than silver.

Hey George.....have you progressed on this project yet?

Talk about bringing a thread back to life !

Thank you Bentiron for the suggestion...

Steve... No... They are still sitting right in front of me on my workbench..  bricks  Matter a fact. I was taking another close look at them yesterday while cleaning the garage..

Thanks again Bentiron   walker
Report Spam   Logged

MrsWTownsend
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 01:43:42 pm »

So you're doing steampunk cabs huh?

Most persons who are soldering copper and brass use silver solder it although I read that tin solder can be used as well.  In the jewelry making class I am taking we are using silver solder for our copper, brass and silver creations.  This can be done with a torch or even a soldering iron depending on the application and size of the pieces you are working with.

Quite a lot of people glue their steampunk stuff as well (gluing is not really my personal preference for any application).
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 02:17:10 pm »

Thank you Gina .. !
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: