google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Cowboy Won our June Cab Contest with this very cool Dryhead agate!

photo ken_zps553c5d42.jpg

Greg Hiller won our April/May Jewelry Contest with this beautiful Ethiopian opal set in Argentium pendant

photo Gregg1_zpsbdb030c6.png

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
July 25, 2014, 11:11:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

white buffalo turquoise

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: white buffalo turquoise  (Read 267 times)
stonesthatrock
« on: March 12, 2010, 07:00:04 pm »

Has anyone ever heard of this or seen it.  I bought one slab and it was sold to me a white buffalo turquoise.

ty
mary ann
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:05:32 pm »

Yes I have, and pretty sure your spot on describing it as the Buffalo Turquoise..
Report Spam   Logged

thewrightthings

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:42:01 pm »

Haven't seen it before, but just love the light tones with the deep contrasts.
Report Spam   Logged

Paula (Smiling Heart)
         www.thewrightthings.com

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:47:38 pm »

If I remember correctly this has been discussed in depth and the experts concluded that it is a trade name but not likely turquoise. The defining characteristic for turquoise is that it contain copper in some form and white buffalo turquoise doesn't meet this requirement.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:11:16 pm »

Here is a thread talking about the Wild Horse Turquoise.. Appaloosa Stone, and White Turquoise.

Not sure your cab looks much like the ones in the above thread...

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:57:49 am by Taogem » Report Spam   Logged

stonesthatrock
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:28:25 pm »

ty tao but mine don't look anything like those.  hmmmmmmmm
Report Spam   Logged
slabber
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:56:57 pm »

I have a problem with ,how should i put it, the adding on of names to mineral species. Some are just descriptive adjectives, some are location tags and some are just marketing nomenclature. The problem is that people loose sight of what the real name is. In cabbing material this is somewhat less important since the majority of the material that cabbers use are in the silicate family, but when cabbing material spreads into the field of mineral species, such as turquoise,and the more nearly semi-precious gems which have a specific name and corresponding chemical formula, and which is fairly standardized , it clouds the field whether intentionally or by lack of forethought. Turquoise is Copper Aluminum Phosphate. it must have these components to be labeled Turquoise. Magnesite is Magnesium carbonate. They are in no way chemically similar.  Magnasite should never be called Turquoise with any  misleading lead word. White Turquoise. White buffalo Turquoise, or any other Turquoise with  a lead word must still meet the requirement of the formula. I have tested many of the Turquoise pieces customers have brought into the store and sadly had to tell them that the lovely white turquoise that they paid dearly for is Browned howlite, or magnesite or a host of other fakes. I have yet to see any company or mine selling "white Turquoise post its chemical formula with a corresponding spectroscopic analysis.It is no longer a difficult or costly procedure, most state funded universities can and will do it usually for free.  If you see a white stone with webbing or mottling that has no hint of green or blue coloring, be suspicious. only a very small trace of copper is needed to impart color to a stone. No Cu, no Al, no P,  not Turquoise!l
Report Spam   Logged
azsavit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 06:06:48 am »

Very good post, slabber! You hit the nail on the head with that one!
Report Spam   Logged

elegantcabs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 08:13:37 pm »

Amen Slabber........
Report Spam   Logged

We get our rocks off on ROCKS
stonesthatrock
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 09:13:28 pm »

thats good info to know...... This was given to me and i was told that what it was, but i would hate to think that i might have bought something its not.  I don't deal in turquoise very often and its good because my knowledge isn't that good.

mary ann
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: