google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Sandsave is the winner for our October cab contest with this beautiful Banded Opal cab

Michael Hoover shared one of his most favored stones, this Vulture Mountain Shattuckite from the Rodney Frisby claim.. Shown here on a buck 110 ..

photo michael1_zpsd11cf97c.png

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 17, 2014, 04:24:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Nevada Crayola Jasper Rough Slabs

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nevada Crayola Jasper Rough Slabs  (Read 1278 times)
Ajo

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2010, 02:45:30 pm »

I was up in Quartzite and picked up some interesting jasper. I was told that this is new material that is coming out of Nevada.  It's really hard, and porcelain like. If anyone knows more info about this jasper, let me know. I only bought two small chunks. Darn, I should have bought more.   :P Eric.
Report Spam   Logged

Eric

RedSkygems.com

Social Buttons

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 03:11:24 pm »

Dang Eric that is very lovely.
Be sure to show us your end design too please:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
RareRocksAndGems.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 03:12:13 pm »

Oh yeah it is very nice and polishes up great. I recommend it for good color patterns and quality.
Philip-
Report Spam   Logged

thewrightthings

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 04:25:25 pm »

Is it called Crayola cuz it looks like someone colored lines on it?
Report Spam   Logged

Paula (Smiling Heart)
         www.thewrightthings.com

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:31:32 pm »

ERric I dearly love jasper but I am curious. How can this be new material? Does it mean it was found in a spot that no one looked before? Does the earth create new kinds of jasper all the time? I have never seen anything like this before so what does it mean when they say "new". Isnt this unusual colorings for jasper too?
Thank you Eric:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 05:10:45 pm »

Sara, new material usually means new to market, as it hasn't really been marketed before.  Each year at this time, you start seeing the stones that haven't been for sale before (or at least not in quanity).  On ebay the new stuff will usually go for high prices per slab for several months or until everyone seems to have bought some.  This is when i try auction after auction until i get a good deal, usually around 80% less than what the crazies pay.   

Eric, such a cool stone.  Hope you wiped it before you bought it, just in case it was crayon on stone.  You never know.  Only kidding, I know they wouldn't fool you like that. 

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Ajo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 05:12:38 pm »

I think what they are refering to as "new" is that it is newly discovered or new to the market. Eric.
Report Spam   Logged

Eric

RedSkygems.com

Ajo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 05:23:28 pm »

I did the crayon on stone test. You know the one. I licked it. ;D Eric.
Report Spam   Logged

Eric

RedSkygems.com

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 06:54:56 pm »

I keep wondering if anyone ever does the lick test and gets a black or colored tongue.  A few times i have not looked before licking and got dirt in my mouth.  So far i haven't licked an oily slab, that would be even more disgusting.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Andere
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 07:21:32 pm »

I can't bring myself to lick. :P
Not after learning what's in our surface water and soil in this area; I cart water bottles around, and use most of them for washing rocks.

Very pretty jasper, by the way!
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 07:23:22 pm »

I actually don't directly lick that slabs, i lick my finger or fingers and rub the stone with them.  Problem is, that i don't wash between finger licking and probably start getting stuff in my mouth after the 2nd or 3rd cab.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Ajo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 07:47:42 pm »

You guys no that I was only kidding, right? Eric. ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Eric

RedSkygems.com

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 08:18:04 pm »

I didn't think you would lick it to tell if it was a pattern in the stone versus what someone drew with a crayon.  I could see, licking it to see how deep the colors were though.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 08:29:18 pm »

This has turned into a lickers versus nonlickers topic. I mean come on, we have all eaten McDonald's, could licking an agate or jasper be any worse for us? I mean how many of us tried a few crayons?
Now if we want to talk cinnabar or one of the arsenic minerals, oh well, that is somewhat different.
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 08:45:37 pm »

Talk about eating crayons.  A couple years back, our 100 lb Collie got into the kids crayons that they left where he could get them.  Now he is a pretty good dog, so i am guessing that messy kids with food on their hands, transferred some flavor to the crayons.  When we got home, it was obvious what he had done because there were some wrappers and partial crayons left.  Now if you ever wanted to see some pretty poop.  There was this big pile of multicolored poop with crayon wrappers all through out.  Yes that was a trip.  Now how about Halloween Candy poop.  Yep, he did that too.  A big collie like that can get just about anything left out in the kitchen.  So one Halloween he got into some candy.  The wife had to make him throw up because chocolate is poisonous to dogs.  So she's forcing stuff down him like peroxide and he's foaming at the mouth and throwing up the candy and wrappers.  When he pooped later, there were all kinds of colors like orange, yellow, red, green, etc., along with wrappers.  Very colorful.  Dogs, gotta love em.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: