google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Greg Hiller is the winner for our September cab contest with this beautiful agate cab

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
October 21, 2014, 12:18:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Arizona black jade and luna agate?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arizona black jade and luna agate?  (Read 1854 times)
stonesthatrock
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:28:59 pm »

Both of these i'm not positive.  The black is supposed to be black jade from arizona and the secon luna agate?  Anyone know for sure.  I thought the black will look great on the doublets.
ty mary ann

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 02:23:41 am »

I would say yes to the Luna...

Hard to tell from the pic if the other is black Jade as it looks a bit gray like porcelain.. Probably just the way the image turned out..

Is it black ?
Report Spam   Logged

stonesthatrock
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 08:03:36 am »

yes its black,  clints looks gray on his website too. If you look up az. black jade, its really not a jade.  But i was wondering if this looks like the same rock, because its pretty expensive.

mary ann
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 01:52:33 pm »

yes its black,  clints looks gray on his website too. If you look up az. black jade, its really not a jade.  But i was wondering if this looks like the same rock, because its pretty expensive.

mary ann

I just don't know Mary Ann...
Report Spam   Logged

stoneviews
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 03:33:17 pm »

Here is a bit more info on the Arizona Black Jade, ( Absolute Black ) not sure if you have ever seen this before. Try to polish your slab if you have very small pits, it could be Basenite, this is another mineral that comes from Arizona and is hard to tell the difference, Basenite would be a better choice for backing as the black jade would make a better cabochon. The first is a pendent I made when I first started, it is made from the Absolute Black, the secound Picture is Basenite, they are both grey in color and polish up jet black. I have found both in the same area. Nothing is more embarrassing than selling the wrong thing.

http://www.greatrough.com/rough_jade_absolute-black.shtml

[attachment deleted by admin]
Report Spam   Logged
stonesthatrock
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 03:58:06 pm »

ty clint,
very pretty cab and shines up very nice. I will have ralph try some.

mary ann
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 04:55:13 pm »

Thanks for the information Clint and that is beautiful cab out of the Black Jade.
Be glad when things slow down for you Clint so you can start sharing your adventures and designs again.
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Seth
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 05:40:26 pm »

You sure did get a polish on that one! I only use basenite for a backing material. My favorite out of the black jades is the magnetite jade that was found in California.
Report Spam   Logged
stoneviews
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 06:02:55 pm »

I have a small amount of that Jade with the magnetite, I was told after cabbing, the magnetite can be Gold electro plated?? I don't know this for sure, but it would be very cool looking.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:35:35 pm by stoneviews » Report Spam   Logged
Freeform
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 09:29:33 pm »

Ya, i would agree with Clint and lean more towards basonite for sure.   The problems lies, as Rob notes on his site. This AZ black jade is not real jade. But a term used to market it better.  Hence in most cases, unless you buy it from the driect soruce or mine it yourself. I wouldnt even try(myself) to market it at $50 per pound without a true soruce confrimation.     Rob is a good Soruce, ive worked with him before when he was bring in allot of African Blue Chalcedony. 

Clint, That sounds like What Seth is talking about, Magentite in jade.  Magnetite will generally looks like hematite.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:39:06 pm by Freeform » Report Spam   Logged
stoneviews
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 09:55:44 pm »

I found it, Electroplating Jade that has magnitite on it after you cab it.
I thought it was cool.

http://www.bwsmigel.info/GEOL.115.ESSAYS/Gemology.Nephrite.html
Report Spam   Logged
theimage1
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 09:57:26 pm »

The first sample looks to me more like a tube agate and not luna agate. Luna usually has more white and purple and almost nothing else. The second could be what they sell as Arizona Jade, it is very similar in nature to the Australian jade I use. Takes a good black polish, but is not really translucent at all. I have found both the Australian and Arizona much easier to get a polish on than any of the Wyoming, California, Alaskan, etc. But the others tend to be a bit more translucent when finished.

I too like the jade with magnetite, and yes I have seen it finished with a gold electro-plate. I was told it's a multi-step process with two other metals used first and that most is done with a pen-platter.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:59:36 pm by theimage1 » Report Spam   Logged
stonesthatrock
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 10:34:51 pm »

ty all for the information.  i have a few large rocks of it and i didn't want to sell it, too high or too low  :(
I guess i will go for the middle......

mary ann
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 11:35:03 pm »

I found it, Electroplating Jade that has magnitite on it after you cab it.
I thought it was cool.

http://www.bwsmigel.info/GEOL.115.ESSAYS/Gemology.Nephrite.html

Man, the gold that is electroplated on the Jade in this link is really nice looking ! 

Clint.. Awesome Jade Cab ! 
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 06:47:17 am »

That electroplating is cool. Really dramatic look on the black:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: