google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Greg Hiller is one of two winners for our August cab contest with this malachite cab

unclestu ( Stu ) is the second winner with this dry head agate cab

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 19, 2014, 09:47:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Colbaugh's Semi Cabbing Machine !

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colbaugh's Semi Cabbing Machine !  (Read 8102 times)
seth
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 01:48:19 pm »

Hey Tao, I went and got the machine today. It seems to be in good shape. All I can see missing is the part to secure the cam to the shaft. The rod that they fit on is there but it has treads inside the shaft. I can figure that out. One thing it did notice is your machine is different from the diagram. Your counter weight is backwards per the diagram. Mine is set up like the diagram. I think the weight to the inside would not let you adjust tension on the cab??
Report Spam   Logged
seth
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 02:21:07 pm »

Tao, I guess I failed to read the whole post. You already know about the counter weight. My consern on these machines is the RPM'S. I think the speed may lead to premature disc failure. I may hook up a slower motor to test it.
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 11:45:27 pm »

My consern on these machines is the RPM'S. I think the speed may lead to premature disc failure. I may hook up a slower motor to test it.

It really screams Seth.

I know it may seem like it moves way too fast, but when it is all said and done, everything works at that speed.

I run an excessive amount of water over the disc. Lots.... Pump driven.

Then the counter weight set so the cab is riding with very little pressure.

Those two combined, fast speed, lots of water, and counter weight set for little pressure makes it all come together.

I have my counter weight screwed all the way in.

It will want to spray the water out, so I have a plastic protector made that fits over the disc housing, and shaft that holds the cab and dop.  The dop actually pokes through the plastic. Hard to explain.

Go with the speed and motor that came with it. It really does fly, but with lots and lots of water, it will not result in any excessive disc wear.

Let her rip !  ;D

Report Spam   Logged

Lavenderfish
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 09:50:54 am »

This is a fascinating contraption & didn't even know they existed until you started this thread. So you'll use this as a preforming machine?

Curious as to how fast it cuts a cab? Will be interesting to see how many you can cut in a day.
Report Spam   Logged
seth
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 11:16:01 am »

Hey Tao, what color was your machine before you cleaned it up. I have mine all striped down now. Going to put a primer coat on today.
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 11:45:27 am »

Man....., I am sitting here trying to picture it.

I think it was a sort of light green.

Say, I forgot to ask. Did you get a few cams with it?

I can't understand the threads inside the shaft you mentioned also.

I wonder if someone broke yours off and drilled it out to replace with a threaded rod that just is not there?

Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 01:14:12 pm »

Try those pics again Seth...

Report Spam   Logged

seth
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 01:24:57 pm »

Tao, what is wrong with the pictures? I see them fine here.
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 01:52:36 pm »

I am seeing three of those PhotoBucket "image or video has been deleted or moved" images.

Then I tried to take the url for the images and placed them in my browsers url bar and they take me to the same Photobucket moved/deleted images.

Weird.....
Report Spam   Logged

seth
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 01:59:54 pm »

Tao, see if you can see them now.
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 02:20:23 pm »

Ok, pics are there now...

Yes, that is quite different.

I wonder how that will line up with the larger wheel that the cam is suppose to ride on?

You can see that my cam fits and tightens down right on the threaded shaft.

It is 1/4"

I don't see how that is going to work. It is important that the cam be good and tight. Otherwise will slip and mess up the preform.

I know it may be a bit of a pain, but the first quick fix that comes to mind is a completely different set of cams to match your 1/8" shaft.

Report Spam   Logged

seth
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 02:35:02 pm »

It does line up with the wheel with the 3 parts insalled. I think I will make a 1/4'' collar threaded on the inside and outside to fit on the smaller shaft. That way if I sell it the user will be able to use the standard cams on the market. That is the only problem with the machine. Not bad for what I gave for it. I still have alot of cleaning to do and will post a picture once she is up to snuff.
Report Spam   Logged
seth
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 05:36:25 pm »

Tao do you know the age of this machine.
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 08:44:40 pm »

It was Chuck Colbaugh, Martin's grandfather, initial owner of the Kingman turquoise operation that invented the Colbaugh Cabbing machine. I know that is four generations ago. Do not know exactly what years that might be.

Sounds like could be 100 or so?

Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 02:55:58 pm »

How are you coming along with your new toy Seth?

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: