Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 20, 2017, 03:59:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Plume Agates

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plume Agates  (Read 10633 times)
deb193

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2011, 04:18:14 pm »

I think some use "plume" instead of "moss" to help sell. Generally there is a big difference between feather and filament. But, I have seen the feathers get small like ragged clover, and the filament get dense like cut tobbaco, so there is some overlap. Generally there will be more structure to plume.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2011, 07:37:02 pm »

I agree with George that for the most part, you can tell a plume agate from a moss agate.  There are borderline cases and of course the cases where there is more than one type of structure present.  But a decent plume agate really stands out from a moss agate.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

legendarygranite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2011, 08:17:46 pm »

I agree with George that for the most part, you can tell a plume agate from a moss agate.  There are borderline cases and of course the cases where there is more than one type of structure present.  But a decent plume agate really stands out from a moss agate.

Mark
I couldn't agree with you more Mark. I was at Gene Stewarts Gem Shop in BOise, ID. He had some big specims of the White Graveyard point with  crystal pockets. Three diffenent size crystal pockets, adjacent to each other with some huge perfect plumes. IF I remember correctly they where greyish black plumes. Not 100% on the color of plumes but mouth watering to say the least. Museum pieces
Report Spam   Logged

tkcaz

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2012, 05:21:11 pm »

Here is some blue plume agate I found in Quartzite this year.  It's mixed with some moss, too.  I'm not sure what the matrix is, but it is essentially black.  It would make a great contrast to the blue and clear, but it's completely friable and doesn't want to stablize well.  Oh well.  This material still makes great cabs, but the more I look at this particular slab, the more I'm inclined to keep it as is.  What do you think?

Report Spam   Logged

Tim

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2012, 05:33:06 pm »

I think it is beautiful and I hope you leave some of the natural edge:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
skystone
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2012, 07:47:18 pm »

If you bought a quantity of it, yeah I'd keep a slab asside to show what it looks like.
Pretty cool looking.
Mike
Report Spam   Logged
hardrockcafe
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2013, 11:39:10 am »

I agree on the differences between moss and plumes.  Most of the material from SW Texas I've seen has been moss, unless it came from Woodward, Ritchie, Marfa, etc. ranches.  I've brought a lot of rock home from Stillwell Ranch (near Big Bend) that is red or gold moss, but don't think I've found any plume there.  In fact the first time I was there I was talking to one of the proprietors who said that he had been talking to Trey Woodward.  Trey told him if he ever found any biscuits than they must have washed down from his ranch!

Regarding "Montana Moss Agate", that name goes back decades and I've always heard it refer to what we now call "Montana Agate".  The theory I've heard is that people originally thought the dendrites were petrified moss, hence the name.  Now that we know better and because we have other types of agate we refer to as moss agate, people have dropped "moss" from the name of Montana Agate.  I don't know whether the theory is correct, just what I've read/been told.
Report Spam   Logged
rockhoundTom
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2014, 03:30:07 pm »

This is another great thread! Some really beautiful plumes in here. I can't help but get caught up in it...soooo....here are a few I've cut this year.
1) FLAME AGATE
2) PRIDAY PLUME
3 & 4) LINDA MARIE PLUME AGATE
The LMP rough was from Philip (rarerock&gems). I'm sure most everyone knows about this material by now. The first cab is from the first mine run he had. Just BEAUTIFUL stuff! And the second cab is from this past outing. (2nd mine run) This has some red in it. Ooh boy! At this point, the Red Linda Marie Plume it is pretty rare because he only dug a small amount of it and is hanging on to most of it for now. Can't wait to see if there's going to more after future digs. It's probably my all time fav. plume agate right now. It really is very fine material! (Thanks Philip!)

* flame.JPG (44.07 KB, 232x252 - viewed 280 times.)

* PridayP.JPG (59.64 KB, 206x410 - viewed 11 times.)

* LindaMarie02.JPG (68.62 KB, 362x348 - viewed 279 times.)

* LindaM.JPG (36.77 KB, 199x335 - viewed 277 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
legendarygranite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2014, 04:04:58 pm »

I think this would be a plume agate/Jasper but really don't know? Hoping to get some answers in Tucson.

Picture of the rough.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50579556@N06/6274993901/
Report Spam   Logged

rarerocksandgems
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2014, 12:20:33 pm »

This is another great thread! Some really beautiful plumes in here. I can't help but get caught up in it...soooo....here are a few I've cut this year.
1) FLAME AGATE
2) PRIDAY PLUME
The LMP rough was from Philip (rarerock&gems). I'm sure most everyone knows about this material by now. The first cab is from the first mine run he had. Just BEAUTIFUL stuff! And the second cab is from this past outing. (2nd mine run) This has some red in it. Ooh boy! At this point, the Red Linda Marie Plume it is pretty rare because he only dug a small amount of it and is hanging on to most of it for now. Can't wait to see if there's going to more after future digs. It's probably my all time fav. plume agate right now. It really is very fine material! (Thanks Philip!)
Good Job Tom!
They turned out really nice!
I'll be digging again in May/June at four of my claims this time and staying out there for four weeks. I'll be set up again as a dealer at the Madras Show and should have a great deal of rough. FYI for everyone...They changed the show dates to June 25th - June 29. http://www.allrockhoundspowwowclubofamerica.com/#!madras-flyer
Philip-
Report Spam   Logged
rockhoundTom
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2014, 12:01:07 pm »

1) FLAME AGATE
2) PRIDAY PLUME
Good Job Tom!
They turned out really nice!
I'll be digging again in May/June at four of my claims this time and staying out there for four weeks. I'll be set up again as a dealer at the Madras Show and should have a great deal of rough. FYI for everyone...They changed the show dates to June 25th - June 29. http://www.allrockhoundspowwowclubofamerica.com/#!madras-flyer
Philip-

Thanks Philip! I really love working this material! Unfortunately, I won't be able to go to the Madras Show. I'm hoping you'll throw some great stuff online (anti-sniper sale) before you go.  ") ?
Report Spam   Logged
Idaho Druid

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2014, 01:11:53 am »

Here is a pic of something my Step Father calls 'Desert on Fire' Plume from the Mojave... He dug it himself from the side of an abandoned cone...

* IMG_20141101_191605131_HDR.jpg (310.52 KB, 910x598 - viewed 7 times.)

* IMG_20141101_191728711_HDR.jpg (293.69 KB, 1080x608 - viewed 5 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Allen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2014, 03:56:37 am »

I have been close to a odd wild fire or two in the Australian bush.

That Mojave plume captures it well.

Just need the smoke, sound and heat.
Report Spam   Logged

Rockgirl

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2015, 11:47:58 pm »

Could you call this one a plume or does it have another name?

Report Spam   Logged

Karen
legendarygranite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2015, 01:24:20 am »

I would classify that as a plume all day, every day.
Awesome btw.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: