google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Sandsave is the winner for our October cab contest with this beautiful Banded Opal cab

Michael Hoover shared one of his most favored stones, this Vulture Mountain Shattuckite from the Rodney Frisby claim.. Shown here on a buck 110 ..

photo michael1_zpsd11cf97c.png

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 19, 2014, 01:42:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Chinese Picture Jasper

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese Picture Jasper  (Read 1061 times)
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 08:42:03 pm »

I dont mean to change the subject of chinese picture jasper but I was over at Michael's (kinda like a Hobby Lobby if yall dont know) looking for sheets of copper.
I casually looked in the bead department and I saw a new, huge collection of cabs (jaspers and unakite and turquoise and even some intarsia). Started around $6.00 and went up to $20.00 for the intarsia. This was real stones too not plastic.
That is not right. They are making a yard sale of all the stones in the world.
See same thing on ebay all these beautiful jaspers they want to sell for $1.00.
Makes me mad enough to spit. I dont buy stuff from China anymore. Its my way of getting back at them.
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 10:40:01 pm »

At that time they where slabbing huge thick slabs,(2' x 2') and mounting them on wooden carved chinese stands.

The person I purchased these from does this too.

Report Spam   Logged

stonesthatrock
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 08:02:56 am »

wow tao thats some really nice stuff you got there.

mary ann
Report Spam   Logged
Willy
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 10:57:51 am »

George -  looks like great minds think along finding the same kind of material.  Had a friend just return from China and brough me several slabs and plachets of the Chinese Paint Stone (also labeled  Chinese Painting Stone, Varigated Jasper and Paintbrush Jasper in the write-up he got with the pieces).  The paper also said it is found in NW United States, Africa north of the Sahara and in Northern China and Mongolia.  Here is what he brough me that looks like after some cutting and polishing, very similar to what you have.  They cut and polished up just like any good hard Jasper.  Drilling holes was fun however, just like in any Jasper.

Willy

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:59:23 am by Willy » Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 04:00:02 pm »

That is some awesome designs and cabs Willy even if they are from China.
They have access to such beautiful stones if they just wouldnt flood the market with cheap prices.
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 02:40:56 am »

In case anyone stumbles upon some of this Chinese Picture Jasper...

Hate to report that it all seems to have very low silica/quartz content.. Not polishing out very well..

I sent one slab to Mark to see how it worked out for him.. Very soft..

The yellowish areas on the other two slabs are the same.. Very soft. Maybe a 4 on Mohs

Just so hard for me to keep from ending up with those pesky little flat spots.

Was hoping that it was going to be a nice hard type Jasper, but not....

Guess the two I have left will be for display.. They do look pretty neat.
Report Spam   Logged

Willy
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 05:17:10 pm »

I posted some pictures 3 posts before this one of some stones that my friend brought back from China of what was being called Chinese Paint Stone or Chinese Painting Stone, that in the write-up they provided also said they were also called Varigated Jasper and Paintbrush Jasper.

In the mail yesterday I got several pendants from a guy in Mexico who sent me some samplesn of Chochu Jasper.  He said he had read my write-up and wanted me to see what is called Chohua Jasper in his area where he pickes up the stones in the mountains near his home. I have tried to photgraph with the same settings so that the colors match, even if off a bit from the actual stones colors.  Look first at my previously posted pictures of the Chinese Paint Stone, then compare to the ones following of some Apache Jasper (suppose to be from So Africa) and then those of the Chohua Jasper from Mexico. 

I may not have the best eyes for this kind of identification, but they sure all look to me like maybe the same stuff .   Now one big difference, that George already pointed out, the Chinese Paint Jasper is fairly soft (5 or 6) where all the stones from Mexico, whatever name you want to call them, are at least a 7.  Any and all comments appreciated because I am loosing track of what to call things these days.

Willy

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 05:21:26 pm by Willy » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: