Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
October 22, 2017, 09:30:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Image Posting Request

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Image Posting Request  (Read 2451 times)
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2009, 07:53:28 pm »

We have had some discussion about the annoying scroll bar beneath larger Photobucket and or FlickR type hosted images.

As it turns out I am informed via SMF support team that there is no way to create a specific guideline for these type of images widths.

So.., Although this is not mandatory by any means, thought it would not hurt to make a suggestion/request that will just sorta contribute towards easier to view postings where these type hosted images are included.

If we could all make an effort to keep the width of Photobucket/FlickR image widths less than 800 pixels it will eliminate the annoying scroll bar that becomes necessary. It will result in being able to view the posts text and image in their entirety without the need to scroll from left to right all the time.

I think we all end up re-sizing images fresh of the camera any way.. At least with mine, the original image prior to re-sizing is huge. As much as 2500 pixels wide.

So I always end up re-sizing them down to something more reasonable "before" uploading them to Photobucket/FlickR.

The only difference for me now is that will be more conscious about re-sizing to the 800 pixel width or less.

If your new to Photobucket, or FlickR and are not sure how to re-size your images prior to uploading them to these photo hosting services, just ask away !  :)

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Bluesssman
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:05:38 pm »

George, hope you don't mind me asking, but doesn't it cost you more to have all of the pictures posted on here?

I limit my pictures to 600 pixels, but I have wondered if some of the posts that have 10 or 15 pictures doesn't take up a bunch of site space and cost you more to keep them.

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:18:42 pm »

Thank you for asking Gary..

Photobucket and FlickR type hosted images posted to the forum do not eat up any of the forums paid photo attachment megabytes.

The only images that the forum requires upkeep on is when we use the upload "options" tab via browsing our computers for the images.

I do have those image sizes and quantity of those images per post set to a max before they can be uploaded. I believe it is set to 5 per post.

So far it is all working out ok..

I won't deny that when possible, using Photobucket/FlickR type hosted images is a big help.

Thanks Gary  :)
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 08:36:13 pm »

Ya know... What the heck.

I will share for those members who do enjoy and or find it easier to use the forums photo hosting to post pics as compared to learning how to use Photobucket/FlickR.

If, and I mean only if you can afford to pitch in a 5 dollar bill each month it would likely take care of the photo hosting megabyte expenses to the forum.

The photo hosting along with the add free options are the only real forum expenses. Add free meaning we are not annoyed by those ugly Google adds. Talk about an eye sore !

I truly do not want to lay any kind of guilt trip, and certainly am not about to ever make it a membership requirement.

Since were talking about it though... May as well bring it let it all hang out.   :)

Report Spam   Logged
thewrightthings
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:35:02 pm »

I am one of the folks who had one bear of a time figuring out how to use Flickr.  But thanks to George and his infinite patience and email help, I was finally able to post using that option.  And once you understand how to do it, it's quite easy.  May take a few more minutes, but compared to all the other time I flit away, it's nothing.
                 Paula
Report Spam   Logged
Bluesssman
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 09:52:27 pm »

I am not trying to be a problem member here, but perhaps some of the people who continue to use this forum as a selling tool for their slabs and cabs could either stop or pay for the privilege. It is not fair to expect you to pay for their advertising.

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 12:43:52 am »

All the for sale type posts have been going to the "shop and swap" portion of the forum.. So no problem there..

There is hardly any usage of the forums photo hosting option being used in the for sale type posts. Almost all are Photobucket and FlickR pics. So all is well....

I really don't want this discussion or the sharing about forum expenses to ward off any members nor create negative energy for any reason.

If something or someone needs special attention, will drop em a line..

Lets keep talking rocks, slabs, cabs and jewelry design !  :)

Much more fun !
Report Spam   Logged
rocknroll

Jon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 01:59:51 pm »

how about a donation button somewhere on the board? I've gotten so many hours of enjoyment from this forum that it would be no problem to donate once in a while to cover the expenses of operating this site. I usually shrink my photos down to 500 or 550 for cabs and 400 for slabs and rough.....photobucket is also very easy to use and to link up. What would you prefer George? I kinda like seeing the pics right in front of me though =)
Report Spam   Logged

Bluesssman
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 02:05:51 pm »

Jon, your going to slap yourself when I tell you this, but... the 'donate' bar is on the left boarder towards the top!!!

I am envious of you heading to Europe!! I have had some great times there...

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 02:10:45 pm »

I much prefer seeing the pics in front of me. Actually included in the post as compared to a link to Photobucket or FlickR.

For those not familiar.. Just take the "direct link" that is given with your Photobucket type image. Then just surround it with the image codes so the image shows up on the forum.

Here is what it will look like when you want to include your image along with the text part of your post.

Code:

[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/glyphman/gb250.gif[/img]

Notice the "img" with the brackets..

Or you can copy the "img code' option also given in Photobucket and FlickR and paste it in it's entirety to the forum. It already has the img codes included.

Jon... The donate button is on the top left of the forum. Members who have donated have the "Supporter Member" logo added to their forum signatures.
Report Spam   Logged
rocknroll

Jon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 09:27:25 am »

***slap***   haha...i'm a little slow sometimes.  The foo fighters (if you guys know who they are) asked me to go with them to europe as a drum tech, and the bread is good, so germany and england here i come. It'll be a few big concerts and a live mtv awards show. I'll try to poke my head out from behind the drum riser =)           
Report Spam   Logged

Bluesssman
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 09:43:51 am »

Jon, your trip to Germany and England sounds wonderful!! AND your getting paid on top of it! I lived in Germany for two years working with Porsche and spent about a year on and off in England on a photo assignment. I loved all of the experiences and tasting the beers there is what pushed me to become a homebrewer so I could have beer that has taste, rather than the colored water of Bud, Coors and others of the like...

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 10:43:32 am »

Jon, cool.  Foo Fighters with Dave Grohl ex drummer of Nirvana.  You are big time.  So they take you along to tune a drum now and then, or are you there to play when Grohl or whoever can't make it and you have to sit in, in front of thousands of screaming fans.  You will have to go collecting over there.  They have some incredible Fluorite that grows out of the sides of Alpine cliffs, maybe you could ship me a couple pounds of Red crystals.  All you have to do is belay down on ropes and chip through the ice while hanging thousands of feet in the air.   Just don't look down.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 11:33:14 am »

Uh, Jon....
I didnt know you were real rock star:) Could you please sign the back of my hand before you get rich and famous and wont take any calls from us?
My son is budding drummer. We have three different bands practice at our house. Ehhh??? speak up I cant hear you.........
He said one day he will introduce me to Metallica:) Harvester of Sorrow, yea baby..........
He also promised to buy me a red cadillac convertible and I said hurry up before I have to park in it the pasture cause I am too old to drive anymore:)
I am so happy for you Jon. Sure will miss you though. Who's gonna tell us roof top adventures when you are gone?
You will have to post as much as you can and show us pictures of your groupies:)
Moseys off singing Learn to fly...
Run and tell all of the angels
This could take all night
Think I need a devil to help me
Get things right
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 11:48:34 am »

I can see the headlines now, Foo Fighters regular drummer gets stuck in customs and is deported from the country for trying to sneak illegal rocks into the country.  Back up / Tech, Jon has to finish tour and instead of having an all expense paid relaxing time sitting around tuning drums,  he has to work his butt off playing gig after gig, night after night, with the lights, papparazi, and the all night parties.  Jon arrives back in the US, months later, so tired, he can't lift his hands high enough to hold the dop stick.  But he brought home tons of cool new rough and Red Fluorite for Mark to add to his collection.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Tammy
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 11:54:45 am »

Noooo Jon, You can't leave, you're my flat lap hero!

I strive to cut cabs as beautiful as yours.   :)
Report Spam   Logged
rocknroll

Jon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 12:51:36 pm »

you guys are hilarious...it aint all that, and they know i'm not a road dog and usually work in recording studios with cushy couches and good coffee. .... i will be sound checking those drums through a HUGE pa system though....and I'll be on the lookout for rocks of course  8)

PS Sara, i did the same thing to my mom with those drums...she also used to drive me around in the station wagon to backyard gigs..that was sooo much fun!!
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 01:05:49 pm »

Very cool Jon !

Do you have any kind of social networking site where you share you Rocknroll experiences ?

It would be a lot of fun to have you share some of your upcoming tour experience photos with us here. Either as they unfold, or once ya return.

I agree that you will really be missed !
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 01:21:27 pm »

sings.... he's a flat lap hero
there's got to be a mist
flat lap hero.......
he's got such a soulful wristttt...
I had to change the words around....didnt want the Who to sue me:P
Jon:) we will miss you badly but also be very happy that you live your dreams.
Hands JOn his sterile mask to wear at all times.
And JOn remember your Mama Sara who is your greatest fan and she loves rocks:)
Kicks Mark's chair......
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 06:39:38 pm »

I was thinking your words were for the song Jukebox Hero by Foreigner.  They work well there too.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Tammy
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 06:54:43 pm »

He he.. I was thinking of Jukebox Hero by Foreigner when I wrote that Jon was my flat lap hero. :o

Small world.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 07:35:03 pm »

Oh, now i get it Tam.  Now that i thought of that song it is hopelessly stuck in my brain for the next several days, on endless play, over and over again.  Help, please.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Tammy
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 08:03:49 pm »

Been there done that, my sons bring up 80's songs in everyday sentences just to drive me crazy!  The only cure for it is to hear another song..

How do you feel about Billy Idol's White Wedding?           Just kidding!

The hardest one for me to get out is Come on Eileen, by Dexy's Midnight Runners..

$#@$! I just did it to myself. :P
Report Spam   Logged
Raqy
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 08:22:36 pm »

You all are too funny!!
But Jon is leaving!?  We better get pics!  Oh and um, rocks of course!
Take your laptop very little clothes, (need room for rocks) and be careful.. ya hear!
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 08:27:01 pm »

You all are too funny!!
But Jon is leaving!?  We better get pics!  Oh and um, rocks of course!
Take your laptop very little clothes, (need room for rocks) and be careful.. ya hear!

Maybe some of the rest of us can start winning a cab contest or two while he is away !  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 08:33:36 pm »

LOL:)
Its a nice day to start again.... its a nice day for a white wedding.
dang, what if jon gets married why he is on tour and she doesnt like rocks????
Report Spam   Logged

Tammy
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 08:51:28 pm »

Maybe some of the rest of us can start winning a cab contest or two while he is away ! 

Wow, Didn't think..  Hey Have a safe trip Jon, take your time, see all the sites.  ;)

dang, what if Jon gets married why he is on tour and she doesnt like rocks?

I'd say they're doomed.  :( :'(
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 08:54:23 pm »

LOLOLOL
Report Spam   Logged

Raqy
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 10:37:26 pm »

Omg Tao I hadn't thought of that.. hmm better get to cabbing  ;D

Report Spam   Logged
Bluesssman
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 10:49:21 pm »

Really good point about Jon not entering the cabbing contest. Jon you are really good!!
Have a great time...

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 03:17:43 am »

Jon, when are you leaving and for how long?

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

rocknroll

Jon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2009, 08:44:21 am »

lol....i'm starting rehearsals on the 20th here in LA, then leaving the 25th.....but it's only 2 weeks in Europe......but they're trying to suck me in for the whole tour next year. Seems I appreciate my free time more and more as years fly by, and i have so many other interests that i doubt i'll do it.   
 George, i'll do a tell all book when i'm about to retire, but for now i'd probably never work again =)
    It's a beautiful morning here, and i'm off to get coffee and hit the roof....i hope everyones day is excellent!!   
 ......there's a frenzy brewing

Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2009, 09:28:27 am »

At least you're in demand.  That's always a good thing.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Bluesssman
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2009, 09:44:15 am »

I am always in demand, just not for paying gigs!! :P :P

Jon, I certainly understand your appreciation of free time!! Having many things you are passionate about makes each that much better. Work too often gets in the way of play!!!

Gary
Report Spam   Logged
Raqy
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 10:04:15 am »

uh oh a frenzy.... cool more pics!  Lets get those flame agates finished.. ;)
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 10:44:17 am »

Ladies and gentlemen buckle your seat belts:)
Do yall feel that rumbling coming from the west.... nope.... not an earthquake its just jon on his rooftop jamming and rocking and flat lapping his way with foo fighters to get all of our going away presents ready. Right Jon 8)
Anything for me, I am not picky ;D
Be sure to autograph mine so I can sell it on ebay when you are rich and famous and buy that red cadillac:)
Report Spam   Logged

rocknroll

Jon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 11:45:28 am »

...haha...living the dream  ::)     if you only knew....i live like an 18 year old in a studio flat in Hollywood, and i'm a bit envious of anyone with enough xtra space for a big rock saw and a barn to jam in...seriously....but german beer might be nice too...
    a bit late for the rockstar thing Sara, but music is still fun and mysterious and brings peeps together at all levels. Feel free to send me demos if your sons bands are writing hits out there. Happy to pass them on if it's right..to the roof!
Report Spam   Logged

dellamoon
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 10:39:22 pm »

ok thanks for the tips everybody! i am new to online world of forums just quick question I have hosted images off my blog would that work?  i mean i will try it nonetheless eventually just thought I would ask first if the images can be hosted from anywhere of if flicker and the other one mentioned are only two recommended.  I will keep reading  though i have only just got started :D  
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2015, 09:27:56 pm »

anywhere that does not block off site views. some sites insist images be viewed on their on page views.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: