Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
October 21, 2017, 04:20:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Orbicular Stones

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orbicular Stones  (Read 6814 times)
Mark

View Profile WWW
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:49:46 am »

Many stones used in Lapidary work have orbicular patterns.  Probably the best known are the Porcelain Jaspers, Morrisonite, Royal Imperial Jasper, Bruneau Jasper, Blue Mountain Jasper, and Willow Creek Jasper.  Ocean Jasper which many consider an Orbicular Agate, is another very well known stone that usually has an abundance of Orbicular patterns or Orbs for short.  Orbs tend to be round or oblong in shape, but can take on many other shapes.  Orbs may have formed as the stone cooled and bubbles of gas that formed when the stone was molten, hardened instead of popping.  The orbs that are not spherical in shape, probably started out spherical and had their shapes distorted by the flowing of the molten stone before it cooled and hardened.  Orbs come in a wide range of colors and degrees of opacity and a single stone can have a large number of different colors, sizes, and shapes of Orbs.  Here are a few examples out of the unlimited number of Orb'd stones.

Mark

Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:31:58 am »

Hey Philip, how about a little help with some of your incredible Orb'd Morrisonite photos.  I seem to have left all my good pics of Morrisonite at home.  Any Willow Creek or others would be great too.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:03:10 pm »

Here is my orbicular:) Its not real fancy like morrisonite or the porcelain jaspers but I like it:) Reminds me of ancient and mysterious places, like the back of the bottom drawer of the refrigerator:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.”
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
stoneviews
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 02:53:01 pm »

ScarlettOSara, That is beaitiful. To Me; It looks as if your looking down on a busy day in Hong Kong, they are the tops of peoples heads and they are all wearing the same color hat. Their are a couple looking up.
Very nice slab, I love it.
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:48:31 pm »

Again, excellent job getting us started up with the orbs Mark..

Thank you.. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those smokin threads.. !

I will share some orbs in a bit .

Thanks again Mark  :)
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 04:01:31 pm »

You got a great imagination Stoneviews:) Now I see them too.
Thank you George for having the bestest forum in the whole world  and thank you Mark and I am going to try real hard not to poke fun at Mark for at least two days cause he thought of this most excellent idea:)
Report Spam   Logged

stoneviews
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 05:04:14 pm »

Here are a few. I threw in Laguna Lace cut 90 deg. to show the orbs, but it is not considered an Orbicular Stone, is it? How about Priday Poka Dot, are those orbs or should we start a thread on Poka Dotted Stones? HHHHmmmm

* 100_0766.jpg (91.43 KB, 400x300 - viewed 1526 times.)

* 100_0768.jpg (72.64 KB, 400x300 - viewed 1516 times.)

* 100_0769.jpg (43.36 KB, 400x300 - viewed 1516 times.)

* 100_0779.jpg (71.1 KB, 400x300 - viewed 1495 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 05:11:56 pm »

That last one is malachite right? Another one of my favorites.
Nice slabs Stonesview:) That red/orange one is really hot:)
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 06:08:11 pm »

They all look like orbs to me.  I didn't think about Lace Agate, but some of them have some really cool little yellow orbs buried inside the clear agate.  I'll go take some more pics from my Man Cave.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:48:29 pm »

Great orb pics you guys...

Clinton, I think of your lace agate as an orb material when it is cut the way you slice them. I wish would see more of the same online.. Probably just me, but seems like everyone slices them the other way..

If I had to choose an absolute favorite orb material, it would be Ocean Jasper. So many colors,  varieties, and even translucents.

I remember that slab  of yours Scarlet.. Can't remember if we ever did ID it correctly for you, and yes..., your last one there is Malachite.

There are a few neat video clips that talk about some of the orb jaspers here.

Ok, time for me to get some orb pics up... !

Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 10:00:26 pm »

Ocean Jasper..

Rainforest Jasper has some beautiful orbs.

Birds Eye Jasper

Leopard Skin Jasper

Oolite

More to come over the next few days !  :)
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 11:53:38 pm »

Gualalupe Jasper Cab - 5" across. It came  from a site that was a few miles from the famous Morgan Hill Poppy Jasper (another orbicular jasper).

Bob
Report Spam   Logged

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 12:30:13 am »

How about an orbicular pattern in a Brazilian Agate? This cab is about 3" tall.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

Freeform
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 12:42:16 am »

Ok, this is highly debatable to me. Gem jaspers that display the orb pattern, is not the same type of orb pattern displayed in orbicular jaspers [ie Poppy Jaspers/Rhyolites].  Look closely, Gem jasper that have the egg pattern, show a continuous ever reaching pattern. No concentric "layered" bubble. Gene from the Gem shop had a video on his site for years about Royal Imperial jasper. And explained the idea of a single geologic action that produced the pattern. Like throwing a stone in a pond and getting a never ending flow. However the flow is still not concentric, but overlapping. Or unfolding as I like to see it. Poppy Jaspers should be classified away from Gem Jasper in my opinion. The patterns are not the same style of formation and is one ever ending confusion to the term Orbicular.  Even with Piece like the last one [Agate orbs], That formation is the same as most poppy jaspers, just only happened in a couple layers during that peroid of dehydration.   
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 03:25:54 am »

There are different things that people consider orbs.  I think that most of us tend to clump them all together.  There are definitely different ways they were created and they clearly are distinguishable from one another.  The classic orb'd jaspers have the overlapping orbs that are probably mostly not round or oblong, but have an evolving shape that flows as a pattern.  These orb'd jaspers are my favorites.  Then there are the other orb'd stones that have individual orbs that do not all come from the same starting point.  They either float in the stone in different layers, go all the way through (kinda like a tube), or are mostly a surface treatment.  Of course, almost any stone can have orb patterns on occasion.  Maybe the stone was sitting there happily hardening up and some stupid dino flying over, lets go of one and spash.  The unnamed object goes through the stone layers, leaving bubbles in its wake.  The stone hardens up, and you have some orbs where they would not be expected.  Bet you guys didn't know that flying dinos were the cause of all the orbs!  So next time you get ready to lick a slab to see the orbs better, think twice.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 03:27:41 am »

Bobby, love that orb'd agate.  That is a beautiful pattern and you shaped the cab really nicely around it.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 04:46:21 am »

A few more pics.  I'm not a big fan of Polish Flint, but when i saw the pics of this one, I just had to have it for my collection.  While trying to get a pic of the tiny orbs in a slab of Crazy Lace Agate, I noticed the tiny Alien inside, looking out.  Oooooh.   Now the Morrisonite, I didn't polish it up and excuse me if it seems a little naughty on the left side.  No, I don't have a mind in the gutter, its just obvious.  Blame the polisher, who I won't name, but is a member of this board, and .....  The 2 Willow Creek are just exceptional Orb'd Jaspers from the old school of thought on the subject.  They used to be called "Eggs".  And finally, a shot of my brain and why the Aliens were so interested in me as a child and why i am probably now so whacko.  Is that thing misshapen or what?

Mark

* Polish Flint - Orbicular.JPG (32.12 KB, 448x299 - viewed 61 times.)

* Crazy Lace with Orbs n Aliens.JPG (136.77 KB, 1024x683 - viewed 49 times.)

* Morrisonite Orbs.JPG (99 KB, 1024x683 - viewed 61 times.)

* Willow Creek Orbs 1.JPG (28.21 KB, 448x299 - viewed 47 times.)

* Willow Creek Orbs 2.JPG (24.25 KB, 448x299 - viewed 56 times.)

* Royal Imperial Jasper - My Brain.JPG (30.57 KB, 448x299 - viewed 55 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 04:56:59 am »

Here's a really sweet slice of Morgan Hill Poppy Jasper with little to no fracturing as is common in that stone.   Another of the classic orb'd Jaspers is Blue Mountain Jasper.  This is not one of my better pieces, but still nice for display.  Is that another Alien hiding under the orb.  Those things are everywhere.  They must be spying on me, they're baaaaaaaaaaccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkk

Mark

* Morgan Hill Poppy Jasper 1.JPG (35.54 KB, 448x299 - viewed 60 times.)

* Morgan Hill Poppy Jasper 2.JPG (38.99 KB, 448x299 - viewed 55 times.)

* Jasper - Blue Mtn - Light Blue to Gray with Orbs n some Yellow Eastern OR 2.jpg (56.56 KB, 640x480 - viewed 56 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 05:40:29 am »

I did not check that link for Genes Gem shop video clips before I added it to the thread earlier.. Had no idea the site no longer exists.

Bummer, those were excellent clips Shain !

I too tend to lump many of these different materials into the orb group. I understand what Shain is saying, and am on the fence with it. Could go either way, but am leaning over and teetering towards the fact that Gem jaspers are more an egg pattern. Like Shain reminds me why I am teetering is that they are more a "continuous ever reaching pattern. No concentric "layered" bubble".

I absolutely love those floating orbs in the Mexican Lace Agates !  Yes, that does look like a little alien in your slab too Mark !  You guys are every where !!  ;D

Here are another couple will add..

The Kabamba Jasper and also some "Super Orb" lace Agate... This particular Lace was sent to me from Stoneviews. Don't expect will ever see material like this ever again.. I loved it !

* a_kabamba1.jpg (222.08 KB, 584x483 - viewed 51 times.)

* a_lace_agate.jpg (209.63 KB, 574x433 - viewed 75 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 06:41:30 am »

I have some Crazy Lace to slab this weekend, since i can't hardly tell which way is up with it, maybe i will luck out and cut it so the orb patterns show.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 06:47:52 am »

This was such a wonderful treat to see all these beautiful stones and also to learn how they were created.  I want one of each!!!
George maybe its time to open up the room for orbieanonymous:)
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 06:57:28 am »

I believe i still have some really cool orb'd material in my treasure drawer.  I know i have some really nice Carasite with orbs.  Carasite is a close relative to Morrisonite and is mined very close to the Morrisonite digs.  I have more Willow Creek squirreled away too, and who knows what else is in my drawer.  I don't even pull the drawer out more than a few inches, in case it might break from all the weight.  Maybe its really time to unload it, reorganize it, and shoot some pics.  I truly only remember about 1/4 of what is in there.  I know most of my most favorite stuff is in there, buried layer upon layer.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 07:09:12 am »

Heck yes Mark, get busy. YOu for sure got a discerning eye and everything you show us is very special.
OPen that drawer!!
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 07:15:00 am »

Don't be fooled, I have plenty of boxes of crap lying around too.  Some of the stuff should just be thrown away.  Its junk that someone else put in a box with a couple of nice slabs and sold the whole thing for $20.  It was probably worth it for the couple of good slabs, but the rest should be pitched.  Maybe this weekend.  I really would like to get into the good drawer.  I am a bit leary of dropping something, plus the slabs will cover the bed and floor before the drawer is emptied.  Then i have to figure what to do with them next.  At least this time, I will take pics so i can remember what i have.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Caution!Rocks
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 01:05:17 pm »

Here's a couple interesting orbs..

Morrisonite

Bruneau Jasper
Report Spam   Logged
The Polished Pebble
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 01:53:31 pm »

Here is a different look at orbs.......This is one of the Geodes I brought back from Wyoming.

When I cut this one, I kept hearing this odd sound. When the cut was finished, you could see what was causing the sound. The whole inside was filled with little white agate orbs that were loose. Like little beads. When it was cleaned out, this is what was left.

You can still see the orbs that don't have agate around them. It would have been even better if the inside had been filled with agate & orbs...but I'm not complaining. ;D

Connie

* Wyoming Geode - orbs 2.jpg (65.36 KB, 489x467 - viewed 54 times.)

* Wyoming Geode - orbs 1.jpg (61.28 KB, 640x480 - viewed 43 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 02:01:13 pm »

All of these stones are so cool looking.
I greatly enjoy seeing all of them.
Thank you for posting them.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 11:00:56 am »

Great stones, thanks for posting.  Wow that is one killer piece of Morrisonite with the multicolored orbs.  My pieces tend to have single color orbs.  Everyone, keep adding pics and info.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

thewrightthings
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 09:57:41 pm »

Thanks, all, for putting so much into this link.  It's just full of eye candy.

Mark, maybe you should wait to go into that drawer till your surgery.  After, when you can't cab for a while, you can enjoy rediscovering all the stuff in that treasure drawer, taking them out one-by-one and drooling all over them(thus negating the licking process).
It will be a pleasant way to pass the time and plan how you can cab them when you're again able.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2009, 12:51:59 pm »

Paula, I was thinking the same thing.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

rarerocksandgems
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2009, 02:12:29 pm »

Dan:
That's a keeper for sure. How much do you want for it? hahaha! just kidding. Great Jake's Place piece.
Philip-
Report Spam   Logged
Raqy
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2009, 04:15:59 pm »

Speaking of orbs.  This is an orbicular rhyolite I found in NM.  My favorite was the magenta colored one. But that was the only one I found.  I'm going back for more next summer.

Report Spam   Logged
Caution!Rocks
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 10:49:17 am »

Here are some cool orbs in some Rim/Bat Cave jasper I collected this summer.

Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 11:14:18 am »

Nice ones Dan..

Rim/Bat Cave..

I had to go look it up.. Oregon ! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 11:37:40 am »

Wow Dan, those are cool.  The stones of OR never cease to amaze me.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

theimage1
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 03:55:01 pm »

"orbicular" is just a geologic term that has a similar meaning to spherical. As with most things that go unregulated by some kind of scientific body, the use with jaspers has been claimed to mean one thing by some and another to others.

Five jaspers were originally identified at the "five fine jaspers", they were bruneau, willow creek, imperial, morrisonite, and blue mountain. They were described with other terms too, they were all "porcelain jaspers"  (meaning they were very fine grained) and took a "porcelain-like polish.  They went on to say that to be a "fine jasper," a jasper needed to also produce the "egg-like" pattern common in each of these original five. These became (due to slang) known as orbicular jasper.  Unfortunately orbicular does not limit itself to "egg-like" structures, but means any spherical or globular like structure.

The various types of orbicular rhyolites are certainly not "orbicular jaspers" as they are rhyolite, a totally different species. So there is no danger here is miss-interpreting. BUT, there are many jaspers that contain spherical structures than can easily be labeled as "orbicular", Kambamby (not kambaba) is a jasper found near the original Ocean Jasper mines, and is a fairly pure jasper with spherical structures, as are many of the true poppy jaspers.
Kambamby Jasper

Kambaba Jasper

By the way Kambaba jasper is actually a fossil material (petrified stromatolite) as is Mary Elllen Jasper.

I leave Ocean Jasper kind of by itself, but much of it is not a true jasper but more strongly related to true agate. Another miss-named material is rain forest jasper, which is another rhyolite with agate filling in the open areas.

Lilypad Jasper (another actual rhyolite)

Now we have the interesting case of a jasper that is named porcelain jasper (of course it is also called SciFi, Exotica, SanteFe, etc. etc. depending on who you ask.), and does take a porcelain-like finish and may have orbicular patterns, but does not (as far as I have seen) have the "egg-like" patterns in the "five fine jaspers."
Porcelain Jasper

Another potential claim to being a "fine jasper" is carrasite, but then it may be a first cousin of morrisonite anyway. And I have seen the "egg-like" orbs in it. Apparently from the photos earlier in the post the bat/rim jasper would be another true candidate. 

So the use of the word orbicular is far more reaching and can be used with regard to jasper even if there are no "egg-like" shapes.

There are orbicular granites as well.  There is also something relatively new being called "fish-eye" (I have seen both agate and jasper used with the it) that could be termed orbicular.
Fisheyes Jasper/agate

I have a couple of examples of the same type of material shown by MS SCARLETT and I still have no idea what they are. But since her post I now have  a lead, and will look more closely at the bottom-back of my refrigerator!
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 05:50:25 pm »

I threw those strawberries in my refrigerator away Ron:) LOLOL
These are some interesting slabs, I really love the LilyPad one.
I bought that Orbicular slab on Ebay and like most stuff you buy on there it was limited in description. Just orbicular jasper. Which means nothing I have come to learn from hanging out in this forum. A little knowledge is scary thing in my brain. LOL
Thank you Ron when you teach us things. I know your time is limited but oh so wonderful when you do have time to share.
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 10:06:56 pm »

Ron,

Great way you broke down the proper descriptions of Orb Jaspers ( Five Fine ) and spherical structures.

I need to take more time when titling a thread. This could easily have been titled Minerals with Spherical Structures rather than just Orbicular Stones.

I was not familiar with the Kambamby, and also did not know the Kambaba was made of Petrified Stromatolite. As well, I did not know Rainforest Jasper is a Rhyolite.

I can see how Ocean Jasper would kind of be off by itself. It often appears to be more of an agate material than Jasper with silica/quartz content. Especially the material with the floating orbs.. Sure looks more like agate to me.

Good stuff Ron. Thank you !  :)
Report Spam   Logged
Charlotte
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 05:40:26 pm »

The pictures and information is great, thanks!
Report Spam   Logged
Caution!Rocks
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 08:07:16 pm »

Here are some nice orbs in a piece of Bruneau I obtained recently.

Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 08:23:22 pm »

UNreal how beautiful they are. I really love the contrast in these colors.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2009, 09:01:39 am »

Dan, that is a beautiful piece of Bruneau.  It seems like you never can find an example where all the orbs are complete, but you did it.  Great stone.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2009, 11:04:44 am »

Beautiful orb examples for sure !

Great looking Bruneau !
Report Spam   Logged
Charlotte
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2009, 11:28:24 am »

Absolutely georgeous!
Report Spam   Logged
DonniesTreasures

I just love the surprises!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2010, 10:46:59 pm »

Here's another oolite, a little bit different.  Location unknown.

Report Spam   Logged

MrsWTownsend
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 03:07:18 am »

Hey Donnie, thanks for bumping this thread!  Holy crap do I have a new appreciation for orbicular stone now!!!!!!!!!  Before, I just blew it off; not any more!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Alvin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 07:55:51 am »

there sure is some nice stuff out there. while you guys put them under a micrascope, I will just go collecting. thanks for bringing this thread up. I had missed this one.
Report Spam   Logged

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2010, 07:28:55 am »

Oooohh I love the Lilypad Jasper (Rhyolite) that you posted Ron.   ura ura ura
That would make some fantastic cabs.
Report Spam   Logged

TOPPSTER
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2012, 03:49:42 am »

Your [bird eye jasper] is actually thunder egg ryolite -looks the same as our mt hay stuff.the one at the top looks amazing.
Report Spam   Logged
itsandbits1

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2012, 08:40:31 am »

I think with the name on the thread you can put any orb material here which is goodbecause there are a lot of different ones if you are just talking about the orbicular structure. Yes the  material and quality of material varies but I don't think that matters for this thread. Heres a small; 30mm, jasper with nice orbs and a cab with large distinct orbs that remind me off spider egg sacs. 

* 969266.JPG (50.91 KB, 534x360 - viewed 16 times.)

* 969413.JPG (47.42 KB, 640x360 - viewed 16 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

The wheels of life go round and round, round and round, round and round, and then they hit a rock

drtrumbull
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 06:45:20 pm »

hi from hornitos (near yosemite)california, here we have a poppy jasper, with black center, white , then red petals, surrounded by a brown  to light pink matrix...this is though to be due to feldspar crystallizing in a radial pattern, surrounded by rhyolite that is silicified..this occures in a north west trending fault, a mid oceanic ridge, probably a black smoker wth chimneys of iron pyrite nearby,also basalt, a true ophiolite structure... ..there are a large variety of different jaspers within a 100 yard radius,each different.
there are large white orbs in a brown hematite matrix, cut thru by fractures filled with quartz
   there are red orbs  like mary ellen jasper, some of the patterns are like ocean jasper,with green translucent orbs, some patterns are like serpiginous interwoven patterns, check out the patterns on hornitos poppy jasper on google images..even check out e bay for this mined 60 years ago, mine now re opened for rockhounds..this appears to be a totally unique jasper, not seen anywhere else in the world..., although kinradeite, oregonite, and olympic poppy jaspers are similar....what i find special is the gold that is present on the quartz veins  intersecting the poppy jasper.....this is california gold country at its best !
i have taken the mariposa rock and gem society there, and will be glad to guide anyone up there to collect . drtrumbull@yahoo.com
Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 06:58:21 pm »

These jaspers from black smoker deposits have a wild history. Here in Washington we have many of these  with two distinct types. Each type came from very divergent localities in the world and ended up docked to the continent here. The olympic Peninsula orbiculars are amazing in that you can find basalt dikes that show the melding of red limestone and the basalt in close contact with the final product  the orbicular jasper. I will post pictures of both types , the Olympic mountain orbiculars and the north Cascade orbiculars tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 06:59:00 pm »

I have a slab or two of Hornitos Poppy Jasper.  Since this thread was started, i have seen a lot more orbicular stones, some that are always orbicular and some that have an occasional specimen that is orbicular.  Someday i will have to update this with new pics.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

rocks2dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 07:55:36 pm »

Here are a couple more…

White Fir Springs thunderegg

Hampton Butte blue jasperized log

The White Fir eggs can have agate and/or jasper, and some of them look very much like Bruneau (the color in the picture is off – it is more chocolate brown than greenish). The silvery oval in the middle of the Hampton Butte cab is my camera lens ring (sorry).
Report Spam   Logged

Rockrangers
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2012, 08:01:56 pm »

yes R2D. Also looks similar to Imperial.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2012, 10:20:44 pm »

Kool, never saw those before.  I learned something new today.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

DadOhs

Take me to your Labradorite!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2012, 11:17:53 pm »

I have some Stromatolite that looks like orbs depending on how it's oriented, bu thats just the end cut of a fossil I believe
Report Spam   Logged

Mario

Just when everyone thought I was finally gonna clean up my act, I found a new way to get muddy.

I once sought the meaning of life, but I got side tracked by an agate!
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2012, 04:59:25 am »

I don't think i would lump those in with orbs.  I guess we are a bit loose with our def as we take both the traditional eggs like in Bruneau along with the circles found in Ocean Jasper that are formed when the spheres that float around in the agate are sliced.
Report Spam   Logged

john likes rocks!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2012, 11:27:40 am »

It took me a while to get a-round to this thread: Lake Superior Agate

This little guy looks kind of lonely to me.  dunno

* eye-agate.JPG (178.74 KB, 600x450 - viewed 14 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2012, 05:00:07 am »

Kool stone there John.  I hate to admit it, but I am pretty lacking in experience and knowledge with regards to Lake Superior Agates.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Redwilder

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2012, 07:36:03 am »

I just got into the whole lake superior agate thing upon finding out that they are the oldest known agate and are quite collectable. And the collectable part has soooo many sub parts to it IE: natural found agate versus windowed, slabbed, cabbed etc. Ive got friends in the big area who say they will send me agates they find and i plan on traveling over at some point to visit them (maybe an excuse to hunt for rocks). Got so interested in em that i bought the book "Agates of Lake Superior". That lost lonely looking guy looks pretty cute. Did you skin him like a cat or is that how you found him sitting on the beach looking over the water?
Report Spam   Logged

Just because one wanders does not mean that one is lost....Some bumper sticker I saw in Moab, Utah
                          Ben Odum
             (Add to facebook if ya want)
john likes rocks!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2012, 10:24:15 am »

Redwilder that little agate is just as I found. There is no shortage of Lake Superior Agates thanks to the glaciers they can be found from Canada to Nebraska even Northern Kansas. Around here (central Minnesota) on a good day you can find quite a few specimens, occasionally an extra fine or large Laker can be found. I have several agate picking friends and we have spent many fine days out agate picking in gravel mines, dry washes, farm fields ... just about anywhere there are rocks around here will produce Lakers.  Man do I enjoy a day out agate picking!

This one has a few eyes and it's also a "waterline" agate as well.

* agate-059.jpg (42.27 KB, 480x360 - viewed 8 times.)

* agate-059b.jpg (44.99 KB, 480x360 - viewed 7 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2012, 11:17:48 am »

Looks like a tater to me.

Mark (grew up in IN and grew taters as a kid)
Report Spam   Logged

rocks2dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2012, 12:49:31 pm »

I'm sure I've seen John's creature face in a Tim Burton movie somewhere. chuckle

thomsonite (Minnesota)

another Blue Mountain jasp (Oregon)

Priday Polka Dot agate (Oregon)
Report Spam   Logged

helens
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2012, 01:41:08 pm »

Wow... love all the eye candy!!!
Report Spam   Logged
wyrock

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2012, 02:09:54 pm »

Beautiful specimens!!!

I have found a new orbicular stone on Sheep Mountain (the mountain that I did the slide show on) but it is almost impossible to find a piece without fractures big enough to make a cab out of. Well I finally found a piece and it is in the rotation of cabs that I am working on now. Photos to follow one of these days. I finally got my little cabmate up and running so I will be showing photos of that soon also.

Keep showing because I love looking.
Jim
Report Spam   Logged

Making rocks immortal one stone at a time.
john likes rocks!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2012, 05:10:59 pm »

Rocks2dust I REALLY like the look of that Blue Mountain jasper cab the way it is divided by colors is interesting.
I have a "thing" for thomsonites too, yours looks familiar ... do you know Ian M.?
This is probably my favorite thomsonite:

* zeolite11a.jpg (84.55 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 17 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

rocks2dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2012, 07:29:54 pm »

Don't think that I know Ian, but that last thomsonite would also be my favorite, except the little part about it being YOURS eyes1 Gorgeous. Thomsonite also occurs out here along the Oregon-Washington-BC coast ranges, but they aren't anything like as colorful as the Minnesota material.
Report Spam   Logged

rocks2dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2013, 11:59:09 am »

These are usually lumped in with the "poppy" jaspers. The orbs can be much more regular, but these are the only 2 pictures I have at hand:

kinradite from Marin County, California

"oregonite" from Josephine County, Oregon (not the same as the mineral of that name)
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2013, 12:46:57 pm »

Those are kool.  The first one looks really familiar and i think i have or have had a piece before and it was called some kind of poppy jasper.  Haven't seen the second one, though i am familiar with  Josephine County where they dig the Nickel stone Josephine's Crown which i believe is also called Awaurite or something like that.  Its a dirtyish white stone with metallic streaking that can be silvery to metallic green or gold.  Not much of that around and its usually expensive.  I had one dealer that used to have it every now and then and found one other dealer that had a piece or two.  I also got a chunk of stuff from Canada that looked very similar but was called Silverado.  Supposedly Josephine's Crown has gold and silver and other metals along with the predominant Nickel.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

rocks2dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2013, 04:03:42 pm »

Yes, Josephine County has a lot of interesting deposits. The awaruite is a nickle-iron mineral from the earth's mantle that closely resembles meteorites (it is the only terrestial mineral showing Widmanstatten patterns). Awaruite is sometimes called "Josephinite," which is a different animal than the "Josephine's Crown" (I get 'em confused also–too many Josephines). I agree, the Josephine's Crown makes some spectacular cabs, and is hard to find these days. Some pieces with good quartz resemble mohawkite.

The kinradite was mined and marketed in the 1890's right through WWII. Some of it was made inaccessible with the construction of the Golden Gate bridge, but people still report finding small pieces in roadcuts just west of the bridge. The oregonite was first dug around 1900, and was marketed by jewelers during the 1920's and 1930's. It is from somewhere along the Illinois river in a couple thin seams. I've seen a couple of slabs for sale during the last decade, but no chunks. Somewhere I have better, more obicular cabs of both, but don't have time right now to paw through the cases.

We used to find the occasional piece of vistaite with stacked orb patterns. I only have a few now, and the stacking on the yellowish piece at the lower/right is most like what you see in morrisonite or Bruneau, though very faint in the picture (I probably should have wetted the rough slabs):
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2013, 08:48:02 pm »

I was thinking i remembered the Awuarite wrong.  I was remembering the dealers blurb on Joshephine's Crown and i think she said that some people said it was also called Awaurite but that it wasn't.  I also have a piece or two of Mohawkite and its pretty kool, but definitely different from the Crown.  I really like how sometimes the stuff is silvery, and other times its metallic green or gold.  I tell you the OR has some of the most incredible stones ever and i would love to go dig holes all over that state.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

rocks2dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2013, 02:40:43 pm »

A couple more pieces of old Rim jasper:

Rim jasper with orbs
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2013, 02:59:01 pm »

That's nice stuff.   I missed out on that, only been into specimens and then lapidary about 10 years or less.  Wonder what other really sweet stuff i have missed out on?

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Ajo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2013, 04:45:03 pm »

I love the old Bat Cave/Rim Jasper. I sold some a while ago to pay for some other rough. I should have kept it! Sellers remorse. Nice Jasper! Eric(Ajo)
Report Spam   Logged

Eric

RedSkygems.com

Cowboy

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2013, 10:13:17 pm »

OK, this thread inspired me to go out and pull a few photos of orbicular cabs I've cut in the past. Here's a mexican lace showing orbs:

And another:

An Ocean Jasper:

An this is one probably nobody has seen before. It's a local stone, collected within sight of my home. The man who collected it is deceased, and all he would tell me about the location is that "You can see Ring Mountain" from the collecting area. He never had a name for the stuff, and I may be the only person who is cutting it, so I call it Ring Mountain Agate. It is chock full of tiny orbs in white, gold, pink, red and orange, some of it in nice gemmy colors. There is a slab of this in each of the prize packets I'm shipping out to the February winners of the Killer Cab and Killer Jewelry Contests. (in fact, this very slab is in one of those prize bundles.)

Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2013, 10:16:08 pm »

Nice rough and excellent cutting, very pleasant to look at.
Report Spam   Logged

finegemdesigns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2013, 12:04:58 pm »

A slab of Guadalupe Poppy Jasper from California.

If you want some more poppy eye candy you can check out my page here:

http://www.zbestvalue.com/capoppyjasper.htm

Thomas Clark gave me permission to use some of his great photos.

welcome2
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2013, 03:05:06 pm »

For a second there i thought you were  Thomas.  I was looking at the great map and where everything came from and i read about Robyn's Jasper and it said "a variety i discovered ......".  Whoa i know Thomas from buying lots of stone from him and most of my really good Morgan Hill Poppy and Stone Creek Jaspers.  So i thought you were Thomas till i got back to the forum and you said that Thomas let you use the info.  One of these days when i get back to work i will be going back to buy more from him.  He is a great guy and leads a tough life living on the beach in CA.

That pic of Guadulupe Poppy Jasper looks so much like the pic of a slab i got, that i will have to go look up the pic.  I swear its the same pic.  Did or do you sell on ebay?

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

finegemdesigns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2013, 04:58:38 pm »

Yes I do sell on eBay under accounts zbestvalue and finegemdesigns.

It's possible you got a slab from the same rock as me. That would explain the similarities.
Report Spam   Logged

rockhoundTom
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2014, 02:58:52 pm »

Geez, there are some KILLER cabs and slabs with orbs on here. Very inspiring!! I hope you don't mind if I add a few cabs to the lot. These are from the last year or so. They are 1) K2 jasper. Very sweet material! 2) Luna Agate.  3) Not sure. Crazy Lace in Chocolate and cream colors? (anyone knows anything different please, let me know). I found two slabs of it at a flea market a couple years ago. 4) Luna Agate again.

* K2BlueJ.JPG (55.67 KB, 221x346 - viewed 203 times.)

* LunaA2.JPG (27.22 KB, 211x337 - viewed 205 times.)

* LunaBacklit.JPG (43.55 KB, 180x467 - viewed 4 times.)

* P1340099.JPG (64.39 KB, 307x391 - viewed 205 times.)

* lunaer.JPG (57.74 KB, 284x403 - viewed 4 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Ajo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2014, 03:04:29 pm »

Those are all supper cabs! Really like the long Luna. Great shape and layout of the orbs! Eric(Ajo)
Report Spam   Logged

Eric

RedSkygems.com

rockhoundTom
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2014, 03:54:28 pm »

Thanks Eric!! ")
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2014, 10:23:52 am »

Kool ones Tom.  Please post all you want.  There are still orbicular stones not represented here, and i probably even have a few more i could dig up. 

Crazy Lace does come in different colors and shades.  Some of my Koolest Crazy Lace is kind of monotone grays or tans and browns.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

rockhoundTom
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2014, 05:43:37 am »

Kool ones Tom.  Please post all you want.  There are still orbicular stones not represented here, and i probably even have a few more i could dig up. 

Crazy Lace does come in different colors and shades.  Some of my Koolest Crazy Lace is kind of monotone grays or tans and browns.

Mark

Thanks Mark! Yep, I wasn't sure about the Crazy Lace ID. Thanks for the confirmation. It really is some of the prettiest Crazy Lace I've seen. Wish I could fine more. The man I bought it from said he has slabs scattered all around his shop, so fingers crossed, he may produce more of it one day! ")
Report Spam   Logged
lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2014, 10:27:53 am »

Excellent stones , a real treat.
Report Spam   Logged

rockhoundTom
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »

Excellent stones , a real treat.

Thanks a million!  saved7
Report Spam   Logged
john likes rocks!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2014, 07:34:54 am »

Great pictures and cabs ... thanks (a million) for posting them!
Report Spam   Logged

Isotelus

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2015, 10:58:35 am »

A cab I cut from one of the Old Paint Rock sites- The Strawberry Patch.

Hundreds of small spheres or orbs floating in pink agate.

* 003.JPG (67.01 KB, 640x480 - viewed 3 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Bryan
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2015, 12:43:25 pm »

Paint Rock comes from Alabama right?  I remember buying a slab or two off of ebay years back but don't remember where it is. 

Maybe today i will find some more orbicular slabs to post.  I am really in the mood to dig into my rock boxes, though i have nothing left to slab or cab with, but i can take some pics.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Isotelus

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2015, 04:00:03 pm »

Actually Grundy County, Tennessee for the Strawberry Patch. It is part of the Cumberland plateau that extends into part of Alabama, agate has been found at numerous different sites on both sides of the border. Some occurs into Kentucky also but all locations are different.
Report Spam   Logged

Bryan
legendarygranite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2015, 10:29:56 pm »

Dug this material last year. CJ strike jasper, Idaho.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50579556@N06/12848916523/
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: