Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
August 20, 2017, 03:37:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Chatoyant Stone

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chatoyant Stone  (Read 12674 times)
Stew
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2012, 11:10:12 am »

I like this topic. I think tiger eye and peitiersite are fairly easy to take a polish. I didn't do very well on the mara mamba. mabe it was the particular piece. Seems like I read there are asbestos fibers (or they were) and when polishing you can pull the fibers if you polish to much or get it to hot. I do enjoy working with material that has chatoyancy (sheen) when I can't pronounce it or they look at me funny when I say it.

here's a few pics of tiger eye and one of mara mamba. See if you can see Jesus with sun glasses on the mara mamba, no offense Jesus I love you.

* P7111750.JPG (297.35 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 20 times.)

* P7111749.JPG (316.45 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 22 times.)

* P7111759.JPG (278.98 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 17 times.)

* P7111756.JPG (359.14 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 21 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2012, 11:59:51 am »

Like Jesus back in the 60's I love him too:)
Love your rocks Stew:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Stew
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2012, 12:22:21 pm »

Thanks, I think I was having a flash back dancer5
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2012, 06:14:18 am »

I am always really optimistic when starting to cab tiger eye and marra mamba, but i am usually disappointed by the results.  The polish on these stones is really dependent on the quality of the rough / slab.  After polishing, there is often a haze or just basic lack of quality.  I know there is some good stuff out there, but its really hard to tell what will turn out well.

Side note: i just cabbed some chatoyant malachite last weekend.  I have seen it listed before for sale and thought it looked a bit different from the regular cuts of malachite.  I got some small slabs and though they are very soft to cab, they really are chatoyant and seem to take a decent shine.  When polished, they tend to look like green Victoria Stone, maybe chatoyant stone is one of the secret ingredients of the Victoria Stone lost secret formula.  I'll try to get some pics up as time allows.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

gjones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2012, 08:31:00 am »

Mark, you said Victoria Stone is a  manmade stone which the inventor took the secret of, to his grave.  There is a very limited supply of this stuff left in collectors hands and it is quite expensive.

The supply never seems to run out.  I see it at all the shows could it be just a rumor that it is in short supply to jack up the price?
Report Spam   Logged

Stew
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2012, 11:29:47 am »

I'm getting a lot out of this discussion. I never heard of feather malichite, very nice piece George posted.
looking forward to those pics, mark. your work is very inspiring. Like wise gjones, I saw those four you posted.

After I get over my opal buying spree I definatly going to be looking at getting some victoria stone and feather malichite. I guess the shows are the best place to get rough although I have seen good web sites.
haveaniceday2
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2012, 10:23:37 am »

The Doc is dead and did take the secret to the grave with him.  Dr. Imori died without spilling the beans or rather stone on the process and no one has been able to duplicate it. There is only a limited and nonreplenishable supply and that is why it is quite expensive.  I wish i had a boule of each color to put aside for retirement, well, maybe 6 boules.  One for my master, one for the maid, and don't forget the little boy that lives down the lane, oh heck with the little boy and my wife (master) would kick my butt if i gave the maid anything more than a terse hello.  So all for me, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ....................................

Malachite is pretty easy to get as shows, a ton comes from Africa and really cheap.  Last year at the Big East Coast Show i got several Malachite and Botswana cabs for next to nothing and i bought several of those malachite chunks that they polish up and sell like paperweights.  I always figured that when i got tired of the malachite paper weights sitting out, i could take them downstairs and slab them, they are that cheap and usually have the really cool patterns.  I have been waiting for the big east show, now if i only had some money.  Hey!  Anyone looking for a lapidary personal buyer who just works for spare slabs and cabs?  I have very discriminating taste and an eye for the strange, unusual, and incredibly expensive.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

Isotelus

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2012, 07:44:13 am »

I thought maybe this was a good place to remind ourselves that Chrysotile in Serpentine, the Catseye Actinolite from the Jade Cove area and Tremolite are all forms of Asbestos that we may encounter while cutting some of our favorite chatoyant stones.

While  most of our older and more experienced cutters already know this I thought it was a good place to mention it for our newer members and cutters.

Maybe you want to rethink that dry sanding operation and turn on the water or use dust collection equipment or a respirator .
Report Spam   Logged

Bryan
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2012, 08:42:47 pm »

Great comment.  We have mentioned safety several times and even posted irritating to poisonous stones at some point, but you are right that there are always new people coming along that won't know about how dangerous some stone can be.  If i had the time, i would look up the threads, but i don't at this point and am getting brain deader by the second.  So if someone else wouldn't mind............   Thanks.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

NuevoMundo

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2012, 06:20:58 am »

I think it might be a good idea to start a sticky thread listing hazardous (and reportedly hazardous) materials and how/why they are toxic...
Report Spam   Logged

lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2012, 07:11:46 am »

That is an interesting and responsible idea . Soft stone carving is very popular out west , there are many classes and symposiums. Last weekend I went to the 25 th. anniversary week long get-together of a local stone cutting symposium and was appalled at the lack of safety gear , some had no eye protection and plumes of stone were flying through the air. I saw one marble carver using a hammer but about three dozen "carvers" were using industrial grade machinery and no breathing protection.Many of these people were cutting quartz or ultramafic stones  with the risk of silicosis or asbestosis.For many years carvers have been using chainsaws to cut out soapstone blocks to use as carving rough. This soap stone has veins of visible chrysotile asbestos in it. It is normal to see whole families , young kids included , enveloped in the plume. These people are so greedy that when you mention the safety hazard to the children you are rewarded with threats for your trouble. A derivation of this method is to use the chainsaws in soapstone caves. When these people come out of the caves it is a sight to behold. I watched a man who I loved like a grandfather literally die from black lung in front of me , suffocated, a very ,very disturbing sight.I know what risk there is to your lungs from growing up in a mining town and I have found the attitude on this forum refreshing and responsible. Anything we can do to foster this responsible attitude and it's spread to others is to be encouraged.
Report Spam   Logged

itsandbits1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2012, 08:44:08 am »

AYE AYE to the safety in all aspects of rock working; from digging it out of the ground to the myriad of ways it and your tools can injure you. A little foresight will go a long way.
I just wanted to post a picture of some chatoyant mica with a snakeskin type of pattern I found. Very solid and tight fine grain of about 5 mohs; shines up beautifully. This is taken rough to 3000 diamond
Thanks for looking
Lloyd

* 969121.JPG (62.51 KB, 543x306 - viewed 15 times.)

* 969123.JPG (63.78 KB, 527x340 - viewed 16 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

The wheels of life go round and round, round and round, round and round, and then they hit a rock

TOPPSTER
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2012, 10:15:58 pm »

Agate creek agate

* aussie 002.JPG (155.08 KB, 783x588 - viewed 15 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2012, 03:53:54 am »

Love yellow.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

TOPPSTER
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2012, 08:00:09 pm »

heres some more for you Mark

* aussie 001.JPG (135.45 KB, 783x588 - viewed 14 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: