google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Greg Hiller is the winner for our September cab contest with this beautiful agate cab

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
October 31, 2014, 07:19:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Picasso Jasper

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picasso Jasper  (Read 4332 times)
Mark

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2009, 09:50:19 am »

Picasso Jasper or Picasso Marble, is one of my favorite stones.  It has some incredible patterns, usually with a minimum of colors such as Black and Gray.  It can also have Brown, Blue, White, Yellow, and a Creamy color.  Some of the Blacks are exceptionally deep and it makes for razor sharp pattern lines.  Picasso Jasper is a relatively soft stone and is easy to work with.  It takes a decent shine, but not as nice as what you get with Porcelain Jaspers.  I have not had much of a problem with chipping, though occasionally a preform will break during cabbing.  Picasso Jasper comes from Massachusetts.  Really, really, it does.  OK, it just sucks that all we have back yonder in the Rocky A** state of MA, is stone for sidewalks and stone walls.  You can't stick a shovel in the ground without hitting a rock and you often end up blasting holes in the ground to be able to put in a basement.  Picasso Jasper comes from UT, which is Up There.

Mark

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:49:40 am by Taogem » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

redrockrods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:58:18 am »

Nice picasso mark. I can't wait to collect some more.
Report Spam   Logged

Don
My websites:
Southern Utah Rock Club | http://www.southernutahrockclub.net
SURC Forum | http://www.southernutahrockclubforum.us
DLC GEMS | http://www.dlcgems.com
rocknroll

Jon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:06:14 am »

Those are fantastic!  I'm working on the piece you sent me and it seems really easy to carve. I hope i can get it to shine  8)
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:21:44 am »

I wish i could find some of those slabs.  They are MIA in my closet.  I have some more that are in my slab or chunk collections, that are really nice.  I tend to look for Picasso that has the really sharp black lines and has some brown in it.  I had another big chunk that I slabbed and lost in my closet that had this really rich brown that looked like wood.  I would really like to figure out where that is hiding.  I really think there are a bunch of gremlins that live in my closet.  Each time that I check a box and then put it back, they come and put the slabs that I am looking for into that box, knowing that i will not go into that box again for awhile.  That way they keep hiding the stuff I want to find.  Else there is a Way Gate to another world or dimension in my closet and stuff keeps getting sucked out of the closet to another place.  Hopefully i won't fall asleep while walking into the closet, trip, and end up somewhere else.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

stoneviews
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 10:41:57 am »

Thats some nice looking material Mark, the 9lb and 12lb chunks look the best to me, they look alive.
Report Spam   Logged
hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 11:00:24 am »

Would like to see that 9 pounder clamped in my saw! Would probably have to take the 12 lber to our clubs 24" saw.
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

The Polished Pebble

Black Agate - Self Collected in Wyoming

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:06:31 am »

Great pieces of Picasso.

Now Mark, just how big is this closet? It has to be atleast 10 X 10 with all the stuff you have in there. LOL

And I bet the inhabitants of that other dimension wish you would quite dumping rocks on their side.........

Connie
Report Spam   Logged

http://ThePolishedPebble.com   Gemstone Cabochons
http://TheStoneDragon.com   Gemstone Slabs & Rough
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 11:13:14 am »

The 9 and 12 lb chunk were slabbed already.  Actually only about 1/3 of the 12 lb one, the rest is a display piece that guards my rough pile next to my Genie from the spiders.  I just don't know where all the slabs i cut, are hiding.  And they hide really good.  I can find some of the slabs I bought, but not the ones i slabbed myself.  

Now I am irritated.  Just did a search on ebay for Picasso Jasper.  Don't do it, came up with over 5000 entries and most are beads.  So i searched on Picasso Jasper rough and got about 8 listings, and about 6 were for Pilbara Jasper from Australia.  These dealers are calling it Pilbara Picasso Jasper.  That sucks, that is how we get so many confusing names for stone.  Someone decides to call something a name that is wrong and someone else sees it.  They start doing the same thing out of ignorance or thinking it may help them.  Then another and another do it, until its chaos.  For all i know, Pilbara is the same as Picasso Jasper, but I doubt it.  Dang renamers.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:23:12 am »

If you go into lapidary material on ebay, you'll get rid of all the extreme junk. Have gotten wary of some ebay sellers, and just some of the stuff off ebay. But then again, hope springs eternal.
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 11:27:12 am »

My walk in closet, a.k.a., Mark's Man Cave, is probably 11' x 7'.  It has all our clothes hanging from racks and an Armoire.  There are two built in sets of drawers, one for the wife's and one for hubbies, socks and unmentionables.  The top drawer of my unit, has my treasure slabs which is really getting heavy.  There is also a corner shelving unit that has boxes of rocks and 2 shelves of my slab and chunk collection.  Each drawer unit has 3 shelves above it.  Mine has my large specimen collection and another collection of slabs.  I also have a 3' x 4' bookcase with rocks in boxes, mags and books.  Then there are two tall bookcases and mine has some more mags, DVDs, and more of my slab collection, and CD cases with slabs instead of CDs.  There are also boxes of rocks on the floor around the perimeter and in front of my reclining back cushion.  I spend each day off morning in there from 3:30 am till I go to the basement to cab, around 6:30.  Very cozy and comfortable with a ceiling fan and a window.  It my favorite room.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

terrie
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 12:21:10 pm »

I fell in love with picasso stone last summer while rockhunting (with hubby &7kids...21days in a motorhome)thru the Utah area.  We bought all the little rock collecting books for the area....nothing.  When I got home I found alot of info under picasso marble....but no collecting areas.  I was later told we were about 15 mile feom an area....but everything is privatly owned.  Is that true ??   Terrie
Report Spam   Logged
Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 12:42:52 pm »

Terrie, check with Don of RedRockRods, he is from Southern Utah and I believe he has collected it himself.  If i remember correctly, there is a whole mountain made of the stuff.

Boy are you brave, I have a hard time with 3 kids and trying to keep them from falling in ponds while trying to catch frogs, tadpoles, or salamanders, while i am trying to dig rocks.  If you go out again and have room in the Motorhome for 2 more adults and 3 kids, give us a call.  We want to visit my brother in OR and go find the next Morrisonite like rock.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

redrockrods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 01:00:57 pm »

Terrie,

The quarry is claimed but our rock club got permission from the owner to collect. If you are in Southern utah again, stop in Cedar City and visit the lost trail minerals rock shop on main street. The shop owner can give you details on who you'd need to talk to to get permission to collect.

The site isn't in any of the rock hounding books that I've seen. The quarry is in the hills  above minersville.  I think there are a few spots nearby though that are not claimed and I have heard that the picasso occurs throughout the area in limited quantities. When we visited the quarry we were told not to take too much, so I only took a couple chunks...wish I had filled up my bucket!
Report Spam   Logged

Don
My websites:
Southern Utah Rock Club | http://www.southernutahrockclub.net
SURC Forum | http://www.southernutahrockclubforum.us
DLC GEMS | http://www.dlcgems.com
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 01:01:58 pm »

Wow Mark.. What a beautiful collection and variety of Picasso..

Really beautiful material.. !

Report Spam   Logged

ScarlettoSara

Somewhere over the rainbow... way up high

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 01:36:11 pm »

I was moseying around looking at different stuff today and I decided I wanted some of that porcelain jasper to try too. Nice specimens, Dr. Mark Spock:)
Report Spam   Logged

"I tramp a perpetual journey.
― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: