google reader yahoo reader newsgater feed aol reader Subscribe in a Reader

Be Sure To Get To Know This Member And Visit Their Site !!

Photobucket

General information about the Site

A community forum for lapidaries of every imaginable gemstone related niche to gather. Sharing a great many topics. Generally beginning with discoveries of various minerals, cutting, shaping and finishing cabochons right on up to and including the designing of jewelry and other gemstone related artwork.

Photobucket

Donations keep the forum free from advertisements and purchases photo hosting MB space.

Greg Hiller is the winner for our September cab contest with this beautiful agate cab

Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple
Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
October 24, 2014, 11:29:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome ! Be sure to register, say hello, participate regularly, and spread the word !

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Cab Entries for August 16th through the 31st

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cab Entries for August 16th through the 31st  (Read 1951 times)
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2009, 01:39:58 am »

Okedokey........ Let's see if we can have a smoker this go around !

For new members not familiar with how it works.

Ideally, we include a pic of the original slab, then a pic of the preform, and finally, the finished cab.

Feel free to share with us what ever you like about the mineral, and anything else you like.

Remember, this is all in fun. Just a little something we do together as a group. Sure, there is a cheesy slab that goes to the winner, but it is much more about just joining in and having some fun.

Cabbers bonding !  ;D

You can use any mineral, and any shape...

Don't forget to cast a vote for the last entries !

Have fun !  ;D

Winning slab is going to be this Obsidian  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:31:52 am by Taogem » Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Ajo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:34:06 am »

Hi George! Here is my entry. Finished it just last week. It's Spiderweb imperial jasper from mexico. Great material to work with. It polished like a dream. Polished on diamond wheels/genie. Final polish Linde "A". Thanks, Ajo/Eric.
Report Spam   Logged

Eric

RedSkygems.com

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 11:59:20 am »

Nice material Eric.

I have some of this red Spider Jasper.. Also had some really neat green Spider web a while back too.

Nice Jasper !

Ssshhhhh......... Don't tell us you did it last week  ;)

The idea is that the entries are cabs that we do during this two week period  :)

Report Spam   Logged

Ajo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 12:28:34 pm »

Oops! I mean,  I finished this Today!   :-X
Report Spam   Logged

Eric

RedSkygems.com

Andere
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 07:07:37 pm »

Lovely cab! So that's what that kind of jasper is... yay, another deck rock identified!
Report Spam   Logged
Jeff U
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 05:53:00 pm »

Found a nice piece of green imperial jasper thak was so dark it was almost black at the bottom, and at the top it had this small light green section

Preform

and the final..polished through 50K diamond belt and Holy Cow on leather..

Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:29:26 pm »

What a beauty Jeff !

Nicely done and a great entry !
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 08:09:01 pm »

My wife has an entry, but it being done without her knowledge. Charlotte makes near perfect cabs, once she feels the balance in the stone.I believe it to be some onyx.

Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 08:19:20 pm »

I have one also. Except no before pics. Funny looking rock, it may be carrasite, or possibly some mozarkite.

Report Spam   Logged

Taogem
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:27:53 pm »

Great entries !

Can't swear to it, but the first does remind me a bit of Dolomite.. The second one not so sure about it being Carrasite. Not familiar with a Mozarkite. Rings a bell though.. Maybe Mark mentioned it some time ago.. Could be wrong about that..

Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 04:40:22 am »

I think its Tiffany Stone.  I am going by the colors, especially the very small brownish to orangish areas and some slight black marks.  I can pull out quite a few pieces of Tiffany that can match those colors in your slab.

Mozarkite is a really cool stone that you hardly ever see.  I have a few small slabs i cut off a small chunk, that I had to embed in concrete to get the saw blade to not slide off it.  I have made a cab or two off of it.  It is usually or mostly a pinkish to light red stone that often has a swirly pattern to it.  Found mostly or exclusively in Missouri.  I think its the state stone of Missouri.  If I had to compare it with something, I would think about flint or chert looking, but more with a Jasper texture.

I'll check and see if i have any pics around work to post for Mozarkize and Tiffany similar to the cab in question.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 06:34:17 am »

My wifes is probably dolomite, you are right George. It just has the texture of some of the cave onyx we have picked up in road cuts. Mine,I'll be looking at my end cuts, but have cut some mozarkite that has looked like morrisonite or carrisite, except for the agaty areas in between the jasper. It could also be what is called Boley agate from southern Oklahoma, which is breciated.
Report Spam   Logged

hulagrub

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 05:58:34 pm »

I finally found the rock my cab came from. I truly believe it to be Mozarkite. We found it a couple of summers ago, while road hunting for rock around Lincoln, MO. I remember taking in to the club last year before our field trip to the fee mining area there, (of which I found nothing of the same quality). Also, it is a nodule, as compared to morrisonite or carrisite looking like a seam agate, which was confirmed by the post by Phillip S. about morrisonite. By the way Phillip is laid up following surgery, and was apologitic in an email about backing off on a sale.
Will try and slab some mozarkite for you all, and post it.
Report Spam   Logged

Mark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 06:21:06 pm »

I thought from the color and the brecciation, that it was very similar to some of my Tiffany Stone.  I didn't think that it was pink enough or swirly like most Mozarkite I have seen.  But if you got it in Missouri, its probably Mozarkite and not Tiffany, as it comes from the Wells Brushman Mine of UT or NV, I forget  I have been looking at a 3 lb chunk of Mozarkite and thinking how many slabs i could get from it.  Mozarkite is one of those stones that you don't see that often and makes really nice cabs.  The brecciated nature of the cab is what really attracts me, I love the 3D quality.  Nice cab and lucky you to have found the rough yourself.  That makes it that much more special. 

Mark
Report Spam   Logged

elegantcabs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 08:43:05 pm »

AAA Grade Willow Creek Jasper........all cracks,seams, completelyhealed and solid...no Opticon used nor needed......simply sweet!!

Report Spam   Logged

We get our rocks off on ROCKS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: