Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
September 22, 2017, 06:20:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

How to decide on applying epoxies/super glue or opticon as a possible option

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to decide on applying epoxies/super glue or opticon as a possible option  (Read 15592 times)
sealdaddy
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2013, 01:39:40 pm »

This first cab is likely going to get scraped or at least trimmed a whole lot due to the one crack upper left..
If you are going to Scrap the 1st one....PLEASE SCRAP IT MY WAY~!!!
Report Spam   Logged
womanwithatorch
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2013, 08:56:38 am »

Another excellent thread!
Report Spam   Logged
deb193

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2013, 12:28:44 pm »

I just found this thread, two days after I ordered opticon to fix a fracture in the making in a lovely piece of opalized wood that I am in the process of cabbing.  If I read everyone correctly, using opticon or another "stabilizer" at this time (just finished 100 grit wheel) will not work.  Are there any suggestions for a cab that will likely break unless *something* is done?

Thanks!

if the fracture is too hairline to get much resin in (although epoxy diluted with acetone might penetrate) then I would recommend backing the cab - like with a thin slice of black jasper. Opticon may conceal the fracture and the backing will prevent breaking.
Report Spam   Logged

- Daniel

(when everything is exceptional, nothing is)

Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2013, 07:03:37 pm »

This first cab is likely going to get scraped or at least trimmed a whole lot due to the one crack upper left..
If you are going to Scrap the 1st one....PLEASE SCRAP IT MY WAY~!!!

George hasn't been around for quite a while now.  Not sure he is active at all on this forum.  Besides I think he promised it to me.
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
Greenwellcharles
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 02:59:10 pm »

Has anyone tried this stuff XTR-311 Epoxy Adhesive?  fast curing epoxy with a thinner viscosity than HXTAL that is excellent for crack repair and quick projects where HXTAL's long cure time is not a possibility. XTR is a two part epoxy mixed 10:3 that has a 36 hour room temperature cure time for 99.9% bond strength. As advertised it appears to be more fluid than HXTAL therefore should penitrate better I would think.
Report Spam   Logged
Former sealdaddy

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2016, 04:35:47 pm »

Anyone ever use Bond-Optic sold by Highland Park?
http://www.hplapidary.com/p/968/bond-optic-epoxy-kit
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: