Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 23, 2017, 04:17:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

How to decide on applying epoxies/super glue or opticon as a possible option

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to decide on applying epoxies/super glue or opticon as a possible option  (Read 14699 times)
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 09:55:50 am »

Gina,
When you describe your Opticon as "tacky, oily" could it be contaminated or too old? I have never encountered these conditions with my stuff and I've been using it for many years. The results will be kinda "tacky, oily" if it isn't mixed thoroughly because the unmixed areas won't properly harden.  Sometimes the hardener gets yellowish and syrupy if it has aged too much. I  have the same problems with Epoxy 330 (my one and only adhesive) when it has exceeded its shelf life. Usually after about 18 months for the Epoxy and 3 to 4 years on the Opticon hardener.
Bob 
Report Spam   Logged

MrsWTownsend
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 12:45:54 pm »

I don't think it's contaminated, I really think I must not be mixing it right.  The instructions call for a mixture of 1/2 oz of base to something like 50 drops of hardener but with the exception of the time I used it to try and stabilize my chrysocolla I make a smidgen of that.  I pour it out of the bottle and don't put any excess back in; I've had it since around Feb-March of this year I think (time has meshed all together).  I will focus on being more diligent in my mix ratio; I generally try to only let out about 1-3 drops of hardener; this last time I used just enough base to cover the whole top of the stone and then put 2 drops of hardener into the stone and tried to mix it up on top of the stone with a popsicle stick.  It did harden enough to make the wood stick to the bottom of the cab (had to grind that off).

I need to remember to clean the stone and pre-heat the stone.  I'm going to the jewelry supply today to get the last of what I need for my jewelry fabrication class and I am going to see if they carry Hxtal there.  It will definitely be in my possession by the end of next week (to allow for shipping).

Mark, I think your comments about using luke warm water are very interesting and some thing I will keep in mind when it gets cold enough here to actually make the ground water cold (for a day... in January... lol).  Where I live, luke warm water IS cold!  (OK I may be exaggerating a little.  2 days.  lololol)  I think I would freeze to death in Massachusetts~

What do you leave the stone on while the mixture hardens?  I have trouble with the stone adhering to the glass in spite of the fact that the mixture doesn't seem to want to permanently adhere to the stone.
Report Spam   Logged
Taogem
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 08:29:56 pm »

Gina..

Hope you don't mind. I merged your thread with this one. Mainly because of the relevant info from Michael and Bobby.

Report Spam   Logged
MrsWTownsend
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 04:56:07 pm »

Yesterday at the jewelry store I finally saw the "Hot Stuff" that you keep referring to Mark and I snagged a bottle of the runny version.  I am still getting myself some HXTAL to mess around with too and while I have zero faith in the Opticon, I am still going to give that a try again following the instruction given before I give away both my bottles.  I know it will be easy to get off if it doesn't work...
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 06:08:22 pm »

I am assuming the "Hot Stuff" is cynoacrylic?  true false......non of the above

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
MrsWTownsend
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 03:47:10 pm »

Yes the bottle says cyanoacrylate adhesive instant glue made by Satellite City.
Report Spam   Logged
Rockoteer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2010, 08:33:07 am »

We started using this cynoacrylic when we were building model airplanes 25 years ago.  The kind we all bought went by the name 'Zap a Gap'.  The really thin stuff and there were 3 or 4 different 'consistencys'(sp), would actually puff a little whisp of smoke when you dropped some onto two pieces of balsa that you wanted to join togeather.  Don't breathe it however.

TOG
Report Spam   Logged

-Gary

Of all the things I've lost..I miss my mind the most.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.
NatureWhispers
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 07:28:15 pm »

This was such a great read!!  Being a newbe, I just learned so much!!! Thank You for sharing this valuable information. Linda
Report Spam   Logged
rac409

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 10:42:12 pm »

Does anyone have experiences with the epoxy sold by The Gem Shop??? Called: Bond Optic

Seems reasonably priced
Report Spam   Logged

Bob Caveglia
Rocksnot
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2012, 02:30:53 pm »

Wow  I learned more new stuff today!  whoo  hoo  yippie  not a wasted day at all,  Thanks oh bestowers of  knowledge  ;)
Report Spam   Logged
3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2012, 10:23:58 pm »

Great thread - I really hate the idea of using artificial means to "fix" or "conceal" problems with stones, but I'm getting more tired of tossing rock in the 'tumble-it' pile or the garden - and in some cases it's rock that'd make most people cry it's so pretty (why do the ugly ones never fracture like this...)

Michael, I'm glad you talked about hxtal. When I first saw the stuff on the internet it looked like a medicine show. I see only one main site and two major distributors along with two sites that just talked it up like it was too good to be true. In fact, unless they've changed that or added more distributors I'm still feeling that way; except that you, a real person, has tried it and seems quite happy with it.

Has anyone else tried hxtal? Now I'm really intrigued and thinking of buying some.
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Enchantra
Administrator

Insane Bead Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2012, 05:25:38 am »

Frank,
There are several folks on here who use Hxtal.  I haven't heard a single complaint about it on this forum.
If you take a trip down into the Rough and slabs area of the forum, Gina has a topic that is pinned with a video for a fairly cheap vacuum setup you could probably find the parts for at your local hardware store or Harbor Freight.  If I ever get a chance to get up to the one 40 minutes from me, I'll be stabilizing all sorts of things for jewelry use.
Report Spam   Logged

3rdRockFromTheFun

Arfzzz...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2012, 07:43:15 am »

Frank,
There are several folks on here who use Hxtal.  I haven't heard a single complaint about it on this forum.
If you take a trip down into the Rough and slabs area of the forum, Gina has a topic that is pinned with a video for a fairly cheap vacuum setup you could probably find the parts for at your local hardware store or Harbor Freight.  If I ever get a chance to get up to the one 40 minutes from me, I'll be stabilizing all sorts of things for jewelry use.
Cool, thank you! I'll have a gander. The vacuum concept is interesting as well. I was hoping I'd never have to resort to stabilizing (I'm a purist, that's all, no more no less) but I swear it must be this drought we're having but I have slabs that I know were decent to superb when I got them that now have hairlines or worse. I'm planning on a humidifier but I'm having a hard time convincing myself it's not just my imagination and I must have missed those when I first looked them over...

Anyway, this is good to know as I am apparently going to, at some point in the not too distant future, have to dip my toes into the pool of fracture sealing and possibly stabilization. That or just become a rock tumbler hobbiest  chuckle

Which reminds me, I do need one of those too... oh the list, the list the list... crackthewhip
Report Spam   Logged

-frank-

Shop The Eager Beader

Michael S Hoover - Redrummd

Art In Stone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2012, 09:37:21 am »

FOr the most part - I use Hxtal to fill pits and tiny vugs and to fill in the feed lines and mostly healed fracture lines in stone.  I look at Hxtal as only a tool to improve the polish and appearacne a stone will take.  I doubt you will ever add more than a tiny fraction of 1% of Hxtal to the stone.  I do not see this use to improve the polish any different thanI do using  Renaissance  wax to clean and gloss a stone as even wax will leave behind some amount of fill or coating to the piece.  I guess there are certainly different views on this topic of using Hxtal but like opinions - we all have our own.   dancer5
Report Spam   Logged

Susand
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 08:24:09 pm »

I just found this thread, two days after I ordered opticon to fix a fracture in the making in a lovely piece of opalized wood that I am in the process of cabbing.  If I read everyone correctly, using opticon or another "stabilizer" at this time (just finished 100 grit wheel) will not work.  Are there any suggestions for a cab that will likely break unless *something* is done?

Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: