Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
December 17, 2017, 08:20:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

My Dad met the saw

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Dad met the saw  (Read 697 times)
Kaljaia

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2016, 08:12:39 am »

My dad's a retired school teacher who drafts blueprints for electrical systems in his spare time. He saw me cutting things with the saw and decided it needed a few additions. He doesn't 'get' rock but he does have a passion for safe use of electricity and machinery.
Custom-made belt guard because Lortone said their new belt guards wouldn't fit it, a new three-prong plug and cord, and a new switch. It's also all nice and clean inside and I have a gallon of mineral oil to put in it soon as I get its table finished.

The bearings are a project for another day, maybe this fall. Pretty happy now to not worry about that belt, have the motor better protected against splashes, and have it grounded. If I start tripping breakers, then we'll take apart the motor and see what's shorting.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Hummingbirdstones
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 08:45:53 am »

Nice!  Thank God for handy dads!   dancer5
Report Spam   Logged

Robin

" border="0
peruano

Central New Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 10:22:18 am »

Thank Dad.  I approve of belt guards.  I've seen too many old farmers missing one or more fingers due to running them through v-belts/pulleys.  I also approve of the switch box on its side.  I have a switch on my trim saw (oil used a coolant) which has the switch facing up and hence have to be careful about how much oil accumulates on the switch and could run down into the box.  Yours will run down the face and not into the box.  BTW I keep a towel over the switch which tends to absorb the oil rather than let it run into the electrical box.  While a three wire connection is a great precaution against major shorts, a saw that might stall would also benefit from a gfi receptacle.  It will throw the connector before depending on the circuit breaker.  You might see what Dad thinks of that as an additional enhancement.  Cheers.  Tom 
Report Spam   Logged

Tom
Zoologist turned to Rocks
light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 12:37:02 pm »

I still have memories of the night my high school friend and I drove 25 miles to a night time cabochon class at a parks and rec center. The instructor was demonstrating with one of the current machines at the time which was a B&I gem maker flat lap machine with an exposed belt leading to the motor. We had just started when a lady reached thru the belt to flip the switch to cut her machine off. I will never forget that sickening thud as her finger was caught in between the belt and the pulley. When the instructor was able to back up the belt, the lady's finger was hanging by a thread. It had cut clean thru the bone. If you have any saws of other machines in your shop which have exposed belts, PLEASE, stop and fabricate some kind of guard on them.
Report Spam   Logged

peruano

Central New Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 03:54:27 pm »

Well narrated Mr. Jack.  Tom 
Report Spam   Logged

Tom
vitzitziltecpatl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 06:54:43 pm »

Well alrighty then, Jack. Reckon the two old saws I've been using without belt guards just don't look the same to me after reading that story. Don't want to go carrying any fingers to the hospital in my pocket...!
Report Spam   Logged

peruano

Central New Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 07:38:34 am »

If Jack and I have saved you from a mangled finger/hand, it will have been a good day and worth signing on for.  Build the guard and pass the word.  Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Tom
light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 09:15:22 am »

Don't forget the danger of a bracelet, necklace, tie or scarf being caught in the belt. Folks have been choked to death.  It is not just fingers at risk .
Report Spam   Logged

stonemon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 10:03:34 am »

I picked up a 24" Frantom a couple weeks ago and it does not have guards... my wife has been been mentioning it to me... worried about the dogs tail and the grandkids... I read this thread to her and I am headed to the shop to fabricate a guard...
Thanks for the poke guys. Sometimes I forget I am not the only critter in the shop!   dunno

Bill
Report Spam   Logged
Kaljaia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 11:08:56 pm »

Yeah I am quite thankful for my dad's skills and insistence on shop safety. He lost family members (and most of his own hearing) to a lack of workplace safety and I've got a friend who lost an arm to "the slowest drive shaft he'd ever seen." Hair gets tied up and put away, all scarves and strings are kept well controlled, and any small children are sent elsewhere when the saw comes out.
Report Spam   Logged
Kaljaia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 08:21:13 pm »

And the saw came out! No shorts in the motor, got the right amount of fresh mineral oil into it, got it on its little red wheeled cart and made a few cuts. Now I'm waiting for the results of the community poll on whether I'm making too much noise. (I live in a village and the maintenance area/storage shed is in the exact center.) 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: