Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
July 20, 2017, 06:38:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Gem ID Please

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gem ID Please  (Read 262 times)
mrlnavy

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2016, 07:03:38 pm »

Help, I shaped and polished this stone and cannot get it to shine up no matter how much I polish it. I have the polish that can with the Cab King.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks  Mike and Mary.

* 20160312_193618.jpg (1364.44 KB, 2560x1536 - viewed 27 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr

Social Buttons

lithicbeads
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 08:20:25 pm »

Some stoned do not have the capability of being polished , they may be too low in silica for example. Diamond polishing is normally very effective but at times the most effective polishes are the old fashioned oxide polishes used of  a slowly revolving leather faced wheel. Do you have any idea what type stone this is?
Report Spam   Logged

mrlnavy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 08:49:25 pm »

Thank you very much for the information lithic. I do no have a polishing pad like that one but I will look into it now.  Thank you very much for the info I appreciate it.

Mike and Mary.
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr
slabbercabber

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 09:35:59 am »

It appears that piece is severely undercutting.  If that is really the case, you need to go to hard wheels all the way through.  Basically that means all diamond.  You don't need to buy diamond wheels though.  Diamond paste on wooden wheels or burrs will work.
Report Spam   Logged
light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 10:32:26 am »

I have found that with some types of obsidian, diamond just will not give a mirror polish. An old timer told me to try a leather pad with cerium oxide and it works great.  Although very dated, Covington still  has a chart of polishes that have been used for generations before diamond with different stones. It is a good reference and free.
Report Spam   Logged

mrlnavy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 08:05:29 pm »

Slabber are you saying I need to go back and grind some more? I do have 2 pieces one more rough so Light House I will give it a try with a leather pad, need to find one though.

Thanks you guys for the great info!.

Mike and Mary
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr
light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 08:45:16 am »

Not knowing what the material is, a leather pad and cerium may not help but worth a try for sure. If you still have a dull stone and you have done all the steps properly up to the polishing stage you can likely brighten it a bit with some clear shoe polish which is a last resort. In my classes, I have found that the lack of a mirror polish is due to trying to rush the process on any of the earlier steps. I can assure you that if you do not have ALL of the scratches out and a proper dome by the time you finish 600, you can spend a hundred years on a polishing pad to little avail. Before trying my suggestion of leather pad and cerium, it would not hurt to start back at 600 and go thru each step very carefully and see what happens.
Report Spam   Logged

55fossil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 09:11:44 am »

Any chance that is black jade??? That could explain the problem.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: