Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
April 24, 2017, 06:56:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Rogers Mountain wood

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rogers Mountain wood  (Read 192 times)
Talusman

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2016, 07:57:57 pm »

Picked up some petrified wood from Rogers Mountain Oregon. They are small chunks that are found with rounded, smooth exteriors. Inside many have cores of translucent root beer colored agate. The wood itself is highly silicified and shows very well preserved cell structure. The story I've heard is that it was a raft of driftwood that was then replaced (petrified). My question is how do we know it wasn't normal petrified wood that eroded into a river or onto a beach and was worn after lithification by water action? Either way I think they're neat for their realistic wood appearance and gooey centers.

-Jeremy

* image.jpeg (194.66 KB, 1009x815 - viewed 10 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

hulagrub

When you cultivate man, you turn up all the clods

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 09:43:30 pm »

Way cool!
Report Spam   Logged

Dave, a certified Rockaholic

Kaljaia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 11:17:59 pm »

Very cool pieces. I think petrified driftwood would show an uneven wear pattern on the outside; areas where the cell structure and lines are crushed or warped from the wood being pushed up against other wood, rocks, shoreline, etc. or cracks from the repeated wet/dry. If the wear patterns are more or less consistent, then it would seem like the wood had been tumbled in a river post-petrification.
Report Spam   Logged
john likes rocks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 07:30:19 am »

I like the pure color quartz centers, when that center color is orange/root beer color and highly translucent it's one of my favorites.
Thanks for the great photos!
Report Spam   Logged

Talusman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 02:09:36 pm »

I like the ones with the gemmy centers too. Here's one that makes me think the driftwood theory holds some water (no pun intended).

* image.jpeg (156.9 KB, 756x1009 - viewed 10 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: