Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
July 20, 2017, 02:36:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Cleaning Solution

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning Solution  (Read 223 times)
mrlnavy

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2016, 06:46:31 pm »

Thanks for your help on this.  Is there anything I can use to help add a nice polish or clean-up to my cabs? I was thinking of some kind of liquid polish, oil etc.? Thanks I appreciate any help you can give.

Mike and Mary.
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr

Social Buttons

Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 08:21:50 am »

After all your stages of polishing, if you are still not happy with the finish, sometimes waxing a stone will help it's appearance. I use Renaissance Wax on jade and jadeite, it will not yellow. It's the same wax that museums use.

Debbie K
Report Spam   Logged
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 10:41:42 am »

And Renaissance wax is expensive! I use it on a brass goblet to keep finger prints from corroding the metal.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 11:13:53 am »

A trick I use on my Fairburn agate collection which may also work with cabs is to put the cabs in a shallow bowl or pie tin, cover them with baby oil, (Walmarts cheap store brand will work), and put them in your oven on warm setting for about an hour. You don't want the oil to boil, so just barely turn the oven on. Take the pan out of the oven & let everything come back to room temperature. Dry your cabs with paper towels & buff them with a soft cloth.

There was a time many moons ago when you could buy whale wax. It worked just as good as Renaissance wax. You can no longer buy any product made from the whale, but it sometimes shows up in old rockhound estate sales.
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

light house jack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 01:33:17 pm »

On some cabs which will just not take a high polish such as some soft stones, I take the easy way out and apply some neutral shoe polish which is cheap.  If you put the stone on the dop pot and warm it first, the wax will penetrate into some stones and when it dries, just buff it to a polish which is much better than it started with. 
Report Spam   Logged

mrlnavy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 09:39:31 pm »

Wow thank you all very much! I will look into your suggestions and let u know how they work. Again thank you :-)
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: