Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
March 28, 2017, 11:48:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Question about photographing opal

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about photographing opal  (Read 201 times)
ileney

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:40:27 pm »

I have been trying my hand at some Australian and other opal and can't for the life of me figure out how to get a decent picture of the finished stones. I admit I am using an iphone so maybe that is the issue? I've tried on a white, navy blue, and even on a black background surrounded by white paper, etc. etc. The best images were when held in my fingers, oddly enough. Much of the color doesn't show at all. It's like there is nothing there. The reds turn pink and somehow become less prominent than the greens when the opposite is true in the actual stone.  The greens sometimes turn into yellows. The blues and purples disappear or turn color also. And the background always looks a light grey whether it is actually a grey or an absolute ghost white. What gives? How can I get the pictures to pop more? Many thanks for any advice you can give.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:56:58 am »

I go to a local plastics store and get a small plastic box with a black base. I then put the opal in the bottom and cover it with water. As I take the photo I make sure that the lighting doesn't reflect off the surface of the water.
Bob
Report Spam   Logged

ileney

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 10:42:05 am »

Thanks Bobby! That sounds like it would work.
Report Spam   Logged
tetonartgallery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 11:23:49 am »

Thanks for that tip -

Here are 4 pics of some mexican cantera opal I just cut -  I used a small glass dish with a piece of black jade on the bottom. Quickly shot hand held with my iPhone 5S.  Just think what I would get taking a bit more time and using my tripod.

Report Spam   Logged

Thanks for looking - Gerard
Click here to see My Web Site
ileney

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 07:03:46 am »

Came out great!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: