Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
May 28, 2017, 02:22:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Amethyst and florite

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amethyst and florite  (Read 276 times)
Larry Patrick

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2016, 06:17:54 pm »

Purchased these materials from the rock shed. Will these tumble to a polished finish? Im wondering because as im cutting them they have a lot of fracture lines. Also can it be drilled,never worked with it before,wanted to try and make pendants and ear rings thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Social Buttons

Larry Patrick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 02:36:16 pm »

just wondering the workability of these gems,when cutting with a 4 inch grinder they were chipping .Do you have to have a wet bench grinder ? Wondering if they will hold together in a tumbler? And how do they hold up to drilling?
Report Spam   Logged
jakesrocks

New Toy.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 03:04:15 pm »

Don't tumble them together in the same drum. Fluorite is much softer than amethyst. You'll end up with a drum full of fluorite mud and half finished amethyst.
Report Spam   Logged

A day spent without learning something new, is a day wasted.

Don

Debbie K

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 04:58:03 pm »

Clear quartz, in other words, amethyst, doesn't like heat. I can make clear quartz chip and fracture by just pressing too hard on the wheel on my water cooled rock grinder, as they get a little too hot and then the water cools them too rapidly and they crack.

You should be using water to cut or grind rocks as the dust is extremely harmful. You will have problems using dry tools with water as they are not usually properly insulated. GFIs help, but it best to use real lapidary machines.

Amethyst is time consuming to drill, the fluorite is much softer and will drill much easier. You really shouldn't drill dry, either. The diamond drills will wear out very rapidly without water, and in the case of the amethyst it will more than likely crack as it will get too hot. You can use oil and diamond powder with copper or brass tubing on either stone, too. Do a search, I posted here a few months ago about how it's done.

I don't tumble, so I don't know how to help you with those questions, but others do and I hope they'll respond.

Debbie K

Report Spam   Logged
Larry Patrick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 05:20:41 pm »

Thanks for replys,realizing these are different from everything I purchased before. I wonder if you can use a dremmel to get them to a polished finish,what grit ,hope to buy some real tools to work with down the road.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: