Helios Red Helios Green Helios Blue Helios Purple

Lapidary / Gemstone Community Forum
November 23, 2017, 01:27:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This Forum has moved to a new host.  Please go to http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php and sign up so you can participate.  You will no longer be able to post here.  It is now a read-only archive.

Home Help Search Classifieds Gallery Links Classified / Auctions Staff List Login Register  

Gem/Slab ID Help

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gem/Slab ID Help  (Read 294 times)
mrlnavy

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2016, 10:17:58 pm »

Can anyone help ID this stone.  When I did the grind some beautiful blue came out.

* 20160130_205919.jpg (1007.56 KB, 2560x1536 - viewed 34 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr

Social Buttons

Amethyst Rose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 01:43:53 pm »

A friend of mine had some of this decades ago.  he called it Bayouite.  It is fairly soft but polishes wonderfully.  Exactly what it is, I have no idea.  I also have no idea where he got the rough material and he has since passed on.

Love to get more of this material of anyone has any for sale or trade.

Bob Johannes
The Amethyst Rose
Report Spam   Logged
mrlnavy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 02:45:45 pm »

Wow thank you very much for your help Bob. I will check it out.  Believe it or not there is a small rock and crystal shop here in Pensacola FL. The owner is getting to know me and my wife because we buy small slabs from her every week or two.  She came out from the back with this and sold me a nice rock for $10.  I am figuring I will be able to cut about 20 cabs out od it.

Thank you very much for the info. I will ask her and see if she has more and maybe I can get you some if she does.

Mike and Mary....
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr
mrlnavy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 07:25:50 pm »

Wow Bob I can find almost nothing on Bayouite, but you are right a Google search turned up only one reference to Bayouite and a picture https://www.flickr.com/photos/42116660@N03/5200961590

It says it was bought at the 1987 Gem Show in Tucson.  So how rare is the piece I have I wonder.
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Longoria Sr

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: